KevinP

How to TOTALLY screw the pooch on Level 1:

First, get a 200-lb guy who ate Frosted Stupid for breakfast. Then, have that guy do a head-first straight-down dive out of the door, THEN (oh yeah, the hits keep on coming), have him just fall like a pancake.

Gotta hand it to Jay. He held on as long as he could. When I felt him let go, THEN it hit me that I should probably be arching at some point. LOL

However, it was awesome. I would have stayed and re-done it today, but, now, about four hours after hitting the ground, I still feel like my brain is more jello than normal!

Link to VID:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwK8zwf3Leg
Sincerely,
Kevin

First, get a 200-lb guy who ate Frosted Stupid for breakfast. Then, have that guy do a head-first straight-down dive out of the door, THEN (oh yeah, the hits keep on coming), have him just fall like a pancake.

Gotta hand it to Jay. He held on as long as he could. When I felt him let go, THEN it hit me that I should probably be arching at some point. LOL

However, it was awesome. I would have stayed and re-done it today, but, now, about four hours after hitting the ground, I still feel like my brain is more jello than normal!

Link to VID:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwK8zwf3Leg

Congratulations!

:P

I like how you got stable very quickly after that silly instructor stopped spinning you on your back. :)

Your backflying is pretty darned good for a first-timer ;)

You landed safely with a smile on your face.
That is all it takes for a successful skydive in my opinion.:)
And that is most definitely not the ugliest AFF-1 in the world. Scott Lutz holds that honor.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Just to clarify - and this is directed to the OP who might not know this - Lutz isn't notorious for poor performance on his first jump - students fuck up all the time - he's notorious because he acted like a dick afterward and tried to blame everyone/everything else but himself.

Students who are humble get eager helping hands to guide them along.

Excellent... I needed entertainment this afternoon!

The definition of a good skydive is that you walk into the hangar under your own power. Thus, you had a good skydive. ;)

Absolutely your jump was not "TOTALLY" awful. Your jump did not involve power lines, nor a helicopter ambulance ride.

I hope that you remember to give beer to those hardworking AFF-Is. :D

Welcome to the family!

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Just to clarify - and this is directed to the OP who might not know this - Lutz isn't notorious for poor performance on his first jump - students fuck up all the time - he's notorious because he acted like a dick afterward and tried to blame everyone/everything else but himself.

Students who are humble get eager helping hands to guide them along.

While I agree with you that Lutz's most eggregious behavior was his attitude about who's fault it was and his eagerness to put the video on every TV show that would show it, his actions of pulling the cutaway handle instead of the main handle, and his choice of landing area are still well below par.

And to the OP - I've never heard of "Frosted Stupid" for breakfast. I've had my share of "Stupid-O's", but never Frosted Stupid.
Does the commercial have some kind of big cat saying something like "They're Rrrrrrrretarded!"? B|
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

Thanks, Kevin. I needed that:D. You've nothing to be embarrassed about. You pitched out of a plane for the first time, & landed laughing. You're going to find out about something called "Beer Rules" eventually. Bring those three guys a nice big case of imported when you go back. Oh, & don't be surprised when they all put on full-face helmets next time:P...

While I agree with you that Lutz's most eggregious behavior was his attitude about who's fault it was and his eagerness to put the video on every TV show that would show it, his actions of pulling the cutaway handle instead of the main handle, and his choice of landing area are still well below par.

Oh, no doubt. But, for example, zillionaire Richard Branson also pulled his cutaway handle on his AFF-1. He just wasn't a weasly dick about it. ;)

I sincerely appreciate all the encouragement. I would have gone back up today, but I'm STILL kinda dizzy. :D

As I replay it in my head, I'm pretty sure it was practically all my fault. I mean, Sammy in the first-jump course, Jay (main-side) and Tom all told me to focus on the wing, I didn't. A few weeks ago, I would still be kicking myself and calling myself an idiot, but I have started to change that. It was a skydive. As ugly as it was, it was a skydive. I KNOW, infallibly, what I did wrong and how to fix it next time, at which point, I will have beer. :) I don't drink it, but I'll buy it for those deserving. You could see how eager Tom was to get back in, but an unconscious Tom is very little good to anyone.

Give me a couple of weeks to forget this vertigo and I'll be back.

Out..... In...... ARCH :S

Sincerely,
Kevin

The way I count ( in cases of beer, for the General Drop Zone Community ), that's one case for your first "sustained" backfly, and another case for your first recovery from a sustained backfly.....I could go on and on and on...........you're a quarter of the way to being a freeflier.
Life is short ... jump often.

The way I count ( in cases of beer ), that's one case for your first "sustained" backfly, and another for your first recovery from a sustained backfly.....I could go on and on and on...........you're a quarter of the way to being a freeflier.

Jeeze...Are you trying to make Tom, Jay, & Jim alcoholics? Besides, I think there were a few pre-seconds in there.

"I don't drink it, but I'll buy it for those deserving."

I hear ya. I also don't drink, but it makes them so happy. I'd prefer to buy them something healthier, like dinner. That's just the way it is, though.

Nice job overall, Kevin. Eloy is a great DZ, & they've got a tunnel right on the property. Enjoy the ride:)

Oh, no doubt. But, for example, zillionaire Richard Branson also pulled his cutaway handle on his AFF-1. He just wasn't a weasly dick about it. ;)

Well, then the OP has at least two AFF-1s that were worse than his :)

The way I count ( in cases of beer ), that's one case for your first "sustained" backfly, and another for your first recovery from a sustained backfly.....I could go on and on and on...........you're a quarter of the way to being a freeflier.

ROFL That is AWESOME!

I just had an epiphany. I voluntarily (even paid) stepped off of an airplane at 13,000 feet, was in "freefall" until about 5,000 feet, and then, with guidance, piloted the canopy to a clear area and executed a safe landing (my first PLF since 1988 LOL). IT WAS SOOO FREAKING COOL!!!! Yes, I still get dizzy when I move my head to the side too quickly. Yes, I'm totally exhausted from a constant 36-hour adrenalin rush, but IT WAS SO COOL!!! I LOVED IT. Yes, even that not-so-well executed jump!!

Yeah, I am doing it again. How can I NOT??? I can't make the "is this sport for me" assessment on THAT. Right??;)
Sincerely,
Kevin

I flip and tumbled out on AFF1. Lost one instructor, I arched straight away and got stable. So no worries! It happens.

I did a 10 minute slot in the wind tunnel after my first jump. Really teaches a lot on how to fly. Gives you more confidence too! Give it a try, well worth the money.

Each jump gets easier and easier, which = more fun!

Good luck to you!

I just had an epiphany. I voluntarily (even paid) stepped off of an airplane at 13,000 feet, was in "freefall" until about 5,000 feet, and then, with guidance, piloted the canopy to a clear area and executed a safe landing (my first PLF since 1988 LOL). IT WAS SOOO FREAKING COOL!!!! Yes, I still get dizzy when I move my head to the side too quickly. Yes, I'm totally exhausted from a constant 36-hour adrenalin rush, but IT WAS SO COOL!!! I LOVED IT. Yes, even that not-so-well executed jump!!

Yeah, I am doing it again. How can I NOT??? I can't make the "is this sport for me" assessment on THAT. Right??;)

If we all made the “is this sport for me” decision based on our first jump performance, there wouldn’t be very many of us still jumping. You did fine. I can’t even see you and I know you are grinning from ear to ear when you think about “voluntarily” stepping off an airplane at 13,000 feet.

Have fun and welcome to the fun.

If we all made the “is this sport for me” decision based on our first jump performance, there wouldn’t be very many of us still jumping. You did fine. I can’t even see you and I know you are grinning from ear to ear when you think about “voluntarily” stepping off an airplane at 13,000 feet.

Have fun and welcome to the fun.

I don't know about you (either of you), but after my first jump, I landed with a huge grin on my face. The first words out of my mouth were "That was awesome!!" The second were "I've gotta do that again!"
The jump had gone fairly well, but not perfect. And I knew the minute I landed that I was going to do it again (and again and again).

We don't make the decision based on the first jump performance. But many often make the decision based on the first jump experience.

Your (KevinP, not david3) recognition of the level of cool of jumping gives me the impression that you aren't going away soon.

Gotta say I'd be pretty pissed at the instructor that did nothing but death-grip the student and go for a 30 second ride! That was a miserable performance under some fairly typical circumstances. Is that "new-school" AFF certification at work?

Hats off to the other instructor, who stayed with that ugly mess pretty much the whole time and even tried at one point to stop the inverted spin.

I don't think this instructor was going to do anything but what he was doing for the previous 5,000+ feet, either. Aside from some creative inverted body positions, it looked a lot like he was just gonna keep hangin' on until the AAD fired or he got thrown off.

And isn't it amazing how the student ends up more or less on his belly after the "release"?

Sorry, bro. That guy would need a damn good explanation for that performance before I'd be on the other side of him with another student.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX