kottonics

Skysurfing

So I know this is not practiced much anymore but this is what first made me want to skydive as a kid in the 90's. I was hoping someone here could share some insight into it as i have not met anyone at my home dropzone that is into it. I would at least really like to try it a few times with an experienced skysurfer or at least talk about what I need to do to learn the discipline.
I crave the sky, I want to fly.

So I know this is not practiced much anymore but this is what first made me want to skydive as a kid in the 90's. I was hoping someone here could share some insight into it as i have not met anyone at my home dropzone that is into it. I would at least really like to try it a few times with an experienced skysurfer or at least talk about what I need to do to learn the discipline.

Contact Scott Smith at Perris. I think he's going to be the closest guy to you. You are going to need a LOT more experience to start though.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

thanks for reply. I am planning to go to perris a lot this year. and yes i know i need way more exp. to start this but my brain never stops thinking about skydiving. I hope to have my A license by summertime and hit that 200 jump marker by the end of summer.

I hate to sound old and conservative but I personally think 500 would be a better number. I tried it early in my career and it can be very scary and involve some serious skills. With the right coach maybe I am wrong and 200 would be fine. I just watched some videos of uncontrollable spins which bring about a whole different set of E.P.s to learn and master.

You are right though it was very popular and was the reason many got into the sport in the 90's

Here's little skydiving clip Russell and I produced in the 90's at the peak of the sport.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWJZHKnkFLM
It gives you pretty good idea of what to expect. Russell no longer skydives but he is active on Youtube,
http://www.youtube.com/russellcalkins

Bill
http://www.dslrforvideo.com

Thanks for the added insight everyone, I was hoping for 200 only because i also have been flying in a tunnel but I always listen to those with more experience than myself. This is another reason I love skydiving, the community. Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for the added insight everyone, I was hoping for 200 only because i also have been flying in a tunnel but I always listen to those with more experience than myself. This is another reason I love skydiving, the community. Thanks again everyone.

Tunnel is tunnel. Sky is sky. Go for the 500 first.

Also get in touch with Mary Tortomasi, the Perris Windtunnel manager. She is one of the few people I know that has the skill and permission to fly a skyboard in the tunnel.

I would like to see that.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

So I know this is not practiced much anymore but this is what first made me want to skydive as a kid in the 90's. I was hoping someone here could share some insight into it

Having sex with yourself is more fun than being completely celibate, but most people find it more enjoyable with a partner.

Freefall is the same way. Given typical door sizes and how common sky surfers are as one you'll be doing it by yourself or perhaps with one camera person so you can look at yourself afterwards.

Lots of us tried skysurfing in the 1990s and decided that although it was neat other sorts of skydiving involving other people were more fun.

If you want to try (it's still a worth while experience) the usual suggestion was to have a stable stand up, have no problems getting there from any situation, and 360 degree rotations in that position in both directions on all three axis (left/right, front/back flip, left/right cartwheel).

Tamara's page has more details and adds starting and stopping 360 degree flat spins back flying:

http://www.koyn.com/CloudDancer/articles/Surf.html

Thanks for the post drew. this is about what most people at my DZ said and I can see why although I still want to at least try it. I do think freeflying is what i will end doing mostly as i think it is the most amazing thing in the world and I already have a friend that wants to be my partner. And thanks again to everyone for the insight, I love these forums.

I still have a few used beginner boards laying around that I used as rentals. If you decide to go for it and need a board give me a call. 480-2 ninenine-8913

FYI, I had a 150 min jump requirement to purchase a board. I did my 1st skysurf on jump #53, it went ok but I didn't try it again til I had a couple hundred. The more the better, if everything goes ok no problem but if you have an "issue", you need skills/experience to make the right decisions to save yourself.

Sammy Popov used to surf the Vegas tunnel all the time. I've even seen 2 boards in that tunnel at the same time.
Kerry