ridestrong

Do you think small format cameras are generally safe or unsafe???

The best action is likely education, and while there are some resources out there it lacks to say the least.

Given the constraints of;
~USPA can't/won't do a damn thing due to:
>Lack of motivation
>Lack of budget
>No desire to create 'rules' or programs for advanced skydivers

How would you suggest improving resources?
You're invited to write a program (a few of us have, but USPA isn't interested). Maybe you can get the general membership to participate.

The best action is likely education, and while there are some resources out there it lacks to say the least.

>Lack of motivation
>Lack of budget

You're invited to write a program (a few of us have, but USPA isn't interested). Maybe you can get the general membership to participate.

It seems to me that between the SIM, BSRs and the existence of S&TAs there is a system already in place for managing camera flying, wingsuits, canopy selection and any of the other things that commonly get discussed regarding low time jumpers and risky activities.

What is lacking is action. If these activities are occurring commonly then surely it means that the enforcers (DZOs and S&TAs) are not enforcing the recommendations.

Of course no S&TA or DZO can see everything that goes on, but I am pointing out that the system is in place.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

>Lack of motivation
>Lack of budget

It seems to me that between the SIM, BSRs and the existence of S&TAs there is a system already in place for managing camera flying, wingsuits, canopy selection and any of the other things that commonly get discussed regarding low time jumpers and risky activities.

What is lacking is action. If these activities are occurring commonly then surely it means that the enforcers (DZOs and S&TAs) are not enforcing the recommendations.

Of course no S&TA or DZO can see everything that goes on, but I am pointing out that the system is in place.

The tools are definitely there. But a tool has to be picked up. I'm a tool:P and happy to be of use to newer would-be camera flyers.
Favorite recent story:
On a load sitting next to DZO. Dude next to us has a GoPro strapped on with an extension. It's a snag mess, and clearly just fresh. DZO says "why you doin' a hop n' pop?" (the guy has a rental rig on)
Dude replies with "It's the last thing I need to do so I can get my A license."
DZO and I both prevent him from opening the door at the green light, and the camera is still in my team room. He was checked out on the ground by an instructor, then he put the camera on afterwards. Sneaky people...can't always be caught.

I can't imagine technology that will allow wingsuits to creep much past the current accepted protocol of 200 (current) jumps.

I am not a WS flier and I can off the top of my head think of four jumpers that started flying a WS at 100 jumps.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I would love me some more regulation.

wanna jump a poptop ? - please show up your poptop endorsement.
wanna jump a camera suit - please show your "flying with wings" proficiency card"
wanna psychopack - please show proof of having been instructed properly.

You should see some of the British Parachute Association requirements...your head would explode.

Can we just be adults in the adult sport ?