ridestrong

Do you think small format cameras are generally safe or unsafe???

Safety course, great idea. Again, want to change the rules, do something about it. Otherwise, the horse is dead, no need to keep beating it.

I just wrote this email to the Director of Safety and Training at the USPA:

Dear Mr. -------,

I am writing you to propose developing a USPA regulated 'video safety'
course for jumpers that wish to begin jumping with cameras. Any jumper,
after passing the course could then obtain a rating. Or perhaps, as water
training is required for a 'B' license, similarly video training could be
required for a 'C' license. Currently there does not appear to be any
required knowledge before jumping with a camera. Where as many are against
further regulation, I feel this would be a step in making our sport safer
for everyone in the sky with camera flyers. Thank you for your time and
consideration.

Sincerely,

Joshua Anderson

-----
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Dear Mr. -------,

Ooh, ooh, I know the answer!

This is one of those fill in the blank word games, right? :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

That's exactly the way to start it. And if you work up a curriculum with some folks who've been doing it awhile, it'll stand a better chance.

Even if it ends up as a recommended rather than required course (as are the canopy courses), it's a good thing.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Dear Mr. -------,

Ooh, ooh, I know the answer!

This is one of those fill in the blank word games, right? :D

:D

Anyone can look it up... I just opted to leave it out of that post. ;)

Safety course, great idea. Again, want to change the rules, do something about it. Otherwise, the horse is dead, no need to keep beating it.

Dear Mr. -------,

consideration.

Sincerely,

Joshua Anderson

-----

Great that you wrote a letter to Jim Crouch. He's a terrific guy, who has safety in mind.
It's not him that develops these curricula, and there has been a group of people working towards a "camera proficiency card" program for about 18 months now, similar to the Wingsuit additions to the SIM.
However...jump numbers aren't going to change, manufacturers also dictate some of this, and moreover...training can only replace a small portion of the "experience required" points related to camera flying.

Either way...it's GREAT that you're proactive in trying to change things up. And when you have enough jumps so that you actually understand the issues, you'll likely be right alongside the experienced jumpers saying "don't do it."

Your right... I have made the adult choice to wear a camera.

It's YOU'RE, by the way.

So you've made this adult decision . . . STFU already and stop looking for validation online.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Your right... I have made the adult choice to wear a camera.

It's YOU'RE, by the way.

So you've mad this adult decision . . . STFU and stop looking for validation online.

It's made... BTW

genius!!

Dear Mr. -------,

consideration.

Sincerely,

Joshua Anderson

-----

Great that you wrote a letter to Jim Crouch. He's a terrific guy, who has safety in mind.
It's not him that develops these curricula, and there has been a group of people working towards a "camera proficiency card" program for about 18 months now, similar to the Wingsuit additions to the SIM.
However...jump numbers aren't going to change, manufacturers also dictate some of this, and moreover...training can only replace a small portion of the "experience required" points related to camera flying.

Either way...it's GREAT that you're proactive in trying to change things up. And when you have enough jumps so that you actually understand the issues, you'll likely be right alongside the experienced jumpers saying "don't do it."

GREAT! More rules! as if there arent enough already! How about leave the camera thing alone and worry about learning to skydive! Next thing you know we are gonna have to aquire ratings to freefly,do high pulls, downsize canopys,fly wingsuits(not sure if there is one right now?)etc,etc, and oh yeah....take a shit! FUCK leave it alone already!

Or perhaps, as water
training is required for a 'B' license, similarly video training could be required for a 'C' license.

That probably won't happen. There are PLENTY of jumpers that have absolutely no intentions of ever putting a camera on their heads, its not the same as the water training.

You're not going to get a shitty spot and land in a pile of cameras.:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

who said anything about "rules?" Is the Canopy Proficiency Card a rule? Is the Wingsuit Proficiency Card a rule?
No... but certainly a good path to follow if it's related to something in which you are interested.

Skydive Oregon sent out an email to their people today.

It states:
Skydiving with a Camera:

Following is our new SDO Camera policy:

While USPA suggests jumpers have at least 200 jumps prior to jumping with a camera, everyone felt this was a bit excessive considering current cameras on the market are much smaller than they were ten years ago. Everyone did agree that at least a 100 jump minimum before camera jumps (including GoPro) was reasonable. Also everyone agreed that the primary concern is not the snag factor of a camera, but rather the distraction a camera can cause. With this in mind everyone agreed that in addition to a 100 jump minimum, they should also be current as defined by their license level, and receive a briefing from an experienced camera flyer. The briefing should be short and cover the basics of flying with a camera (gear checks, snag hazards, rsl / no rsl, Emergency Procedure's for entanglement with camera, etc). Josiah, Dave, and Brian are more than willing to take some time to go over camera safety with newer jumpers. Also during the briefing they can observe the camera setup and insure its safe and in line with common practices.

So to sum up the new camera policy here it is :

· 100 jump minimum
· Current as defined by your license
· Briefing and approval from a dzo designated experienced camera flyer

[:/]
Note that the briefing description says nothing about distractions, while in the previous breath, it indicates cameras are a distraction:S

>I still only have about 20 jumps with a camera but I can say that with 100%
>certainty that I have never once been on a jump and thought, 'I gotta turn my
>head more this way or that way to get that shot' or anything of the sort.

I thought that too. I had around 1000 jumps, and I put on a chest mount camera thinking "I'll just turn it on and forget about it." Then I took out someone on a bigway. And looking at the video it was clear that my attention wasn't 100% on the skydive. Took off the camera and the problem went away.

Of course, if you had asked me beforehand, I would have said with 100% certainty that I had never once been on a jump and thought, 'I gotta turn my body more this way or that way to get that shot' or anything of the sort.

>But for the others that are just doing fun jumps with their buddies there is
>no NEED to be thinking about those things.

If you really skydive without thinking about the gear you're jumping, you may want to dial it back a notch until your awareness catches up with your ambition. It's akin to a jumper who switches from an SOS system to a two handled system and promises "I'm not even going to think about the difference, so it's not going to be a problem to transition."

>If you are one of those people that can't stay focused on the main task at
>hand because you have a camera on your head, then maybe you shouldn't
>jump one. But that does not go for everyone.

That's the problem with your way of thinking. That DOES go for everyone. You're really not an exception no matter how good you consider yourself.

Or perhaps, as water
training is required for a 'B' license, similarly video training could be required for a 'C' license.

That probably won't happen. There are PLENTY of jumpers that have absolutely no intentions of ever putting a camera on their heads, its not the same as the water training.

You're not going to get a shitty spot and land in a pile of cameras.:D

:D

No, but there are undoubtedly more jumpers that plan to wear cameras than plan on landing in water. ;)

There seem to be some people that CHOOSE to think about the camera more so than others. As I'm sure there are others that can 'turn it on and forget it'.

Ah yes, the some have 'mad skill' argument.

If you are one of those people that can't stay focused on the main task at hand because you have a camera on your head, then maybe you shouldn't jump one. But that does not go for everyone.

Ah yes, the 'if you dont have mad skill, do not follow my lead' comment
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

>I still only have about 20 jumps with a camera but I can say that with 100%
>certainty that I have never once been on a jump and thought, 'I gotta turn my
>head more this way or that way to get that shot' or anything of the sort.

I thought that too. I had around 1000 jumps, and I put on a chest mount camera thinking "I'll just turn it on and forget about it." Then I took out someone on a bigway. And looking at the video it was clear that my attention wasn't 100% on the skydive. Took off the camera and the problem went away.

Of course, if you had asked me beforehand, I would have said with 100% certainty that I had never once been on a jump and thought, 'I gotta turn my body more this way or that way to get that shot' or anything of the sort.

>But for the others that are just doing fun jumps with their buddies there is
>no NEED to be thinking about those things.

If you really skydive without thinking about the gear you're jumping, you may want to dial it back a notch until your awareness catches up with your ambition. It's akin to a jumper who switches from an SOS system to a two handled system and promises "I'm not even going to think about the difference, so it's not going to be a problem to transition."

>If you are one of those people that can't stay focused on the main task at
>hand because you have a camera on your head, then maybe you shouldn't
>jump one. But that does not go for everyone.

That's the problem with your way of thinking. That DOES go for everyone. You're really not an exception no matter how good you consider yourself.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on being able to 'not think about the camera' during the jump.

I am well aware of my equipment, and the camera is part of my equipment. But during the jump... I don't THINK about my handles, my RSL, my altimeter, my AAD, etc... UNLESS I need to. (I know some of you will have a hard time trying not to misconstrue that statement :P)

Getting "the shot" is of no concern to me.

Could you do me a favor and post an update in lets say 100 jumps?
How much the camera distracts you when you have made 100 more jumps with the camera.

I have noticed just what has been said in this thread, "if i look more to the right", "with that background...", and so on.
Ofcourse safety first, always make sure i can focus on the camera before i do.
If im under canopy i always look around and make sure i count ALL canopys before geting a shot.

When you start editing your videos you notice that you dont have anything good, and that makes you want better video.
Be careful and notice when you are distracted

I would love me some more regulation.

wanna jump a poptop ? - please show up your poptop endorsement.
wanna jump a camera suit - please show your "flying with wings" proficiency card"
wanna psychopack - please show proof of having been instructed properly.

Can we just be adults in the adult sport ?

wanna jump a camera suit - please show your "flying with wings" proficiency card"

+1... seriously.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

+1... seriously.

Just so I am not misunderstood. I think recommendations are there for a reason, and 200 jumps is not a lot in today's world.

It just gets tiring when we are ALL regulated because of a FEW who don't care to listen to people who know better. At 200 jumps EVERY ONE OF US has many things to learn and to get better at - no reason to add more complexities to the mix than needed. Soft reserve handles and cameras (two of my personal pet peeves, as I think majority of the low timers wanting those things, want them for the wrong reason) are those things that may make you look cool, but realistically they are not needed and add nothing useful to the progression.

Soft reserve handles and cameras (two of my personal pet peeves, as I think majority of the low timers wanting those things, want them for the wrong reason) are those things that may make you look cool, but realistically they are not needed and add nothing useful to the progression.

Why the soft reserve handles?

Isn't Ridestrong the guy that had that cutaway with a GoPro helmet or something and got that sick cutaway pic bro? It may not be safe but at least you can screen grab a sick cutaway photo

Yeah bro... that was me bro... did it just for the sick shot bro... go read the entire thread, many wise minds posted there, you might learn something bro.