Bodhisattva420

Packing Outside

For the old timers out there . . .

When you used to pack outside, did you just lay your canopy on the grass? Since I drag my rig when packing I decided to purchase a drag mat online from paragear.com. The weather is getting nicer here in Texas and I was just wondering if I could use it to pack outside when its nice out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Not an old timer, but only pack outside if no other option is available.

1) UV light diminishes the material over time.

2) You can pick up many unknown objects that could potentially damange/create holes within the canopy

3) Dirt and dust within the canopy and container.....nobody likes that
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

2) You can pick up many unknown objects that could potentially damange/create holes within the canopy

I've found dry, green grass to be more clean than most indoor places. Sand and dirt tend to fell down between the grass straws where the canopy does not go. Bigger objects are not hard to see while laying down the canopy.

If the ground is wet, dirty etc, I only put down the canopy while taking off the rig, if there's nobody around to hold it, but that's quite hard with a larger canopy.

I'm tempted to call 'bullshit' on the previous posts. I've packed outside for years, with no noticeable wear/tear on my gear.
...From a UV perspective, your gear sees alot more sunshine when you jump it than it does when you pack it (think of those doing CRW). Pack it when you set it down, don't let it sit there for an hour while you grab a drink, smoke, or have lunch.
...don't pack in the mud or on gravel. Common sense.
...do use a drag mat or packing mat if you have one but if you dont, then I've found that grass works nicely.

IMHO... YMMV.
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

I've found dry, green grass to be more clean than most indoor places. Sand and dirt tend to fell down between the grass straws where the canopy does not go. Bigger objects are not hard to see while laying down the canopy.

Agree... and you posted before I hit the send button. :)
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

2) You can pick up many unknown objects that could potentially damage/create holes within the canopy

You kids these days...:ph34r:

Use to be there WASN'T an INSIDE for packing, the world didn't stop turning, we didn't end up robbing banks or raping geese.;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm tempted to call 'bullshit' on the previous posts. I've packed outside for years, with no noticeable wear/tear on my gear.
...From a UV perspective, your gear sees alot more sunshine when you jump it than it does when you pack it (think of those doing CRW). Pack it when you set it down, don't let it sit there for an hour while you grab a drink, smoke, or have lunch.
...don't pack in the mud or on gravel. Common sense.
...do use a drag mat or packing mat if you have one but if you dont, then I've found that grass works nicely.

IMHO... YMMV.

Yep. Agreed.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Pack outside - no harm will come to you or your gear. Grass is good. If the ground is dirt, lay down a tarp first and pack on the tarp. Get in the shade of a tree if you can. A packing-tarp is a standard part of my skydiving gear. When inside packing gets too crowded, and the weather outside is nice, go outside. Once packed, drape that drag mat over top of your rig to ward off the sunlight. By being outside, you also don't have to listen to someone else's screaming punk-rock music, and you can watch the action of other loads landing. Watch out for loose dogs... If there's a picnic table or a car trunk to keep the rig off the ground away from urinating dogs, use it.

If PRO packing over my shoulder in the breeze/wind, I find it best to have the canopy upwind and the rig downwind. The wind blows the canopy towards me, and the canopy does not try to fill with air.

YMMV
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

ha ha, thanks VB ;)

I can't believe there's so many posts on this subject :P

geez, man, pack wherever you want, but you can enjoy some breeze and suntan when packing outside

there were no indoors packing areas back then and they are in fact rare even today

pack outside and be a part of The Elements

I can count on my fingers and maybe have to use a few toes the number of times I have packed inside. I use a rig cover or a drag mat with a flap that folds over to cover the rig. I sometimes even drop my shit where I land cuz the grass is nice there and pack it right up. That's in Florida and California too where there is plenty of sun and my canopy is packed right up into it's own shade in a hurry. Don't drop it and let it lay out in the sunshine while you go shoot the shit and review the video tho. Git 'er done!

jon

why drag the rig? once the canopy is in the bag simply put the locking stows in place then move toward the rig stowing as you go, no need to drag an expensive piece of equipment.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

why drag the rig? once the canopy is in the bag simply put the locking stows in place then move toward the rig stowing as you go, no need to drag an expensive piece of equipment.

Roy

That's called 'walking the bag', great if ya can do it...us big ole fat guys with bad knees don't mind buying a new drag mat every decade or so! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Roy

That's called 'walking the bag', great if ya can do it...us big ole fat guys with bad knees don't mind buying a new drag mat every decade or so! :ph34r:

i only do the locking-stows, then walk back to the rig where i stow the rest..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I only have 2 locking stows. Gotta love freestowing!:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

havent gotten around to get an mpod yet.. :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

havent gotten around to get an mpod yet.. :P

Me either, I got the UPT one.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message