flashpipe

Life Insurance and/or AD&D plans for skydiving?

I'm getting ready to start jumping again after a 5 year break (jumped 15 years before that) and need to be sure I get insurance coverage.

I currently have a 15-year, $250k plan that has a skydiving exclusion.

I found a perfect AD&D plan through Mutual of Omaha for $30/mo. that would provide $200k coverage for accidental skydiving death, but it's not available in NY!

Anyone out there have an insurance company they would recommend for skydiving life insurance, or know of an AD&D plan that covers skydiving and is available in NY??

Thanks!!

Check with the Principal Financial Group (www.principal.com) - Principal Mutual Life. I used to work for them, and they had "open group" policies available in both the term life, and AD&D categories, that did not have skydiving-specific exclusionary clauses within them. What do you do for work? The trick is, to get yourself categorized and rated within a group (I was in a bankers group) - so the risk rating #'s are diminished/abated amongst the entire group population. If you are in a low-risk avocation group, and you can find an agent willing to DO HIS JOB to work for you, and find such available open policy (group) applicable to you, then the most typical "high-risk exclusionary" paragraphs that are so typically broiler-plated now adays, are less likely to appear.

Of course you can also advance-specify an "adventurers"/adventure/active-sports policy from the get-go, and have the exclusions written out/removed. But as I'm sure you can imagine, the insurance companies will also clearly have you "pony-up" handily, for one of those - if they even write them at all, that is.

P.S. - It also helps immensely, if you are fit, a non-smoker, can verify/validate a HEALTHY lifestyle (which participating in activity sports does NOT just necessarily negate) too.

FWIW.
Hope this helps!
Good luck,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Grant,

Thanks, I'll certainly check with them. I'm a software/website developer for work, so I'll ask about the group rating as well.

I've contacted several insurance companies, but, generally, as soon as I mention skydiving, they seem to get confused or don't know how to "classify" things to provide a quote.

Was bummed about the Mutual of Omaha AD&D plan because it was perfect and I haven't found anything else similar. Seems like, in this age of "extreme" activities and the popularity of skydiving that someone would be able to provide quality, intelligent information.

One of the insurance companies asked me questions about passing batons and doing skydiving "stunts" or relative work...Seems like life insurance is stuck in the 70s.

Thanks!

they seem to get confused or don't know how to "classify" things to provide a quote.

See, here's the thing... your agent should not even worry about how to "classify" things! ...All he/she needs to do is take a look at the policy (policies) he/she is writing for, and be able to tell you either YES, they do have a specific skydiving (or action-sports, or what-have-you) exclusion within them, or NO they do not. Period. ...All the rest in between is just plain BS, and P's me off that there are agents out there who don't or won't even want to do even just the most minimal of legwork for what they earn - to find out! >:(

One of the insurance companies asked me questions about passing batons and doing skydiving "stunts" or relative work...Seems like life insurance is stuck in the 70s.

LOL - yeah, well - with at least that one, it sounds like you got to the risk underwriter's level (although again - entirely not necessary ...see my 1st para above) - and what they really were trying to discern was, are you just a "casual participant" (like plan on doing just a few tandems for fun) - or a repetitive active participant (where they then feel your risk profile needs to be further "rated"). I used to know a few underwriters who actually were skydivers, and they knew the difference - which was a beautiful thing ...until only then, the "big brother" establishment imposes back down on them, their ignorance of the actual (versus their otherwise just completely whuffo - and sometimes even "funny" perceived) risks. :S

Good luck in your search! ..Please share with us what you find. The Mutual of Omaha thing is good information (I wasn't previously aware of) as well.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Contact Zander.com they got me done with mutual of Omaha they might be able to find someone for you. My 500k term policy is $$$$$$ but i was 42 just quit smoking,recovering addict, no man on my fathers side has made it past 60 (cancer) and I jump out of airplanes. I hope the made a good bet but I wouldn't have bet 450k I would live to 62 if I was them.

Good thing is im fully vested now so if I burn in no matter how my wife and kids and our business will be ok for a minute

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.