Kiyami

All shapes and sizes?

Whilst I can understand risks associated with being too big/heavy to skydive - can there be problems with being too small or too light?

As I get ready to start AFF 1 I've spent ages on youtube this week and can't help but notice one of the main issues for new jumpers is getting stability nailed.

Is getting stable more of an issue for shorter / lighter body types than it is for say taller / medium build?

I'm 145lbs and 5'6", hence my interest.

Is getting stable more of an issue for shorter / lighter body types than it is for say taller / medium build?

No, but certain (beer-belly) types do fall stable on their belly a bit easier :):ph34r:

You're actually not THAT light or that small ;)
Don't worry, just go jump :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Strangely, I'm not put off by the 'bad' or 'ugly' skydive videos.

I figure seeing it and learning about it can only be a good thing - learning what *not* to do etc.

I'm not more worried given my size - I just have these visions of me rising if an upstream comes my way lol

learning what *not* to do etc.

Hmm that's more what I meant than videos being "off-putting": You'll learn what to do and what not to do in your skydiving course. Sometimes it's hard to get pre-conceived notions that do not fit the initial skydiving course out of student's heads (the "youtube" generation LOL). Youtube is so not the place to learn skydiving ;)
Then again, neither is this forum, so go away and jump :D:D:D

ciel bleu,
Saskia

5'6 and 145 lbs doesnt seem that extreme to me. My wife is 5'5 and 120, and there are plenty of other skinny folks out there who jump regularly.

So don't try to use that as an excuse ;)

Edit: I remember a buddy in Edmonton who must have been 6'2 and 160 :ph34r:

Remster

This sport favors smaller, lighter people than taller heavier. That's not to say that a person can't be a success over a wide range of heights and weights, but if you had to pick, smaller and lighter is "better." You can always wear lead if you need to be heavier for a particular skydive, but instantly dropping 20, 30, 40 pounds isn't an option for most people.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

This sport favors smaller, lighter people than taller heavier.

Tall is easy, but heavy is tough. ;)

Didn't Bill Booth say the ideal TM is 6'1" and 175? That's me on a good day. :)
To Kiyami- Enjoy your jumps. You're definitely in the right size range to be a skydiver. Your instructors should have no problem flying with you. B|

This sport favors smaller, lighter people than taller heavier. That's not to say that a person can't be a success over a wide range of heights and weights, but if you had to pick, smaller and lighter is "better." You can always wear lead if you need to be heavier for a particular skydive, but instantly dropping 20, 30, 40 pounds isn't an option for most people.

I am not skinny by any means (5'6", 160-165lbs) but chasing fatties :Dcan be fun at times. some folks might not enjoy the other guy sinking out after every point but I look at that as way for me to improve my flying.

PS: getting down is much easier than getting back up, hopefully I can change that with some more airtime
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...