Divalent

I have to buy beer for The Farm. Help!

So I don’t want to commit a faux pas that will pigeon hole me into I’d a role or reputation that I’d rather not have....I think the worse thing that can happen is to do something notorious that pigeon holes me into a reputation and/or a role that I’d rather not have.

Posting advice on the internet as a student is one way to get that reputation. Posting complaints without first discussing with your instructors is another way.
:D:D:P

Now, if you were to drunk-drive a car or a 4-wheeler into the pond, that would be notorious!
B|
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I am finally out of the year-in-year-off Iraq rotation.

Its a great feeling to be home and not have to worry about going back again, isn't it?

Indeed it is. I may deploy, but it'll be a smaller team and on a TDY thing rather than a TCS.

And I don't mind playing with these beer rules. However, priorities are priorities. Right now, I have some expendable income, but if it comes down to beer or jump, well.....

I'll drink a beer with guys and gals at the DZ. I stop at one (if you're bored, PM me and I'll tell you the story), but I'll provide a 6-pk for key individuals in my development.

And I still laugh at that video. A skydiving buddy (who is well aware of my Jesus Freak-ness) in Maryland said "watching that video made me call on God. I was screaming at the screen ARCH GODD*MN IT, ARCH!" LOL
Sincerely,
Kevin

>I've never really understood what the "beer rules" are.

1) Buy a case of beer for any first. First jump off student status, first rig you buy, first cutaway, first 4-way. Students are generally exempt from this rule, but it kicks in when you graduate. Type of beer (or wine, or jello shots, or even soda) is your choice.

2) Give beer to people who have helped you reach that milestone.

3) Talk to those people when you give them the beer. Their "repayment" to you comes in the form of advice, suggestions and criticism that they will provide once they know you bought beer. Such advice is valuable, and comes at a time when you really need it (i.e. when you just screwed up, or when you have just pushed another personal limit.)

Save the beer in your basement! Once chilled, it will be PERFECT for you to wear during your SCR ceremony.

Excellent point!

Hmm, perhaps I should dispose of that stuff now. (Maybe I'll just sneak it in and deposit it in the DZ refrigerator without anyone noticing. Wonder how long it would last.)

[Now if you will excuse me, I have to go google "SCR ceremony".]

>I've never really understood what the "beer rules" are.

1) Buy a case of beer for any first. First jump off student status, first rig you buy, first cutaway, first 4-way. Students are generally exempt from this rule, but it kicks in when you graduate. Type of beer (or wine, or jello shots, or even soda) is your choice.

2) Give beer to people who have helped you reach that milestone.

3) Talk to those people when you give them the beer. Their "repayment" to you comes in the form of advice, suggestions and criticism that they will provide once they know you bought beer. Such advice is valuable, and comes at a time when you really need it (i.e. when you just screwed up, or when you have just pushed another personal limit.)

Man, where is that "LIKE" button? This is the best summary of these beer rules I have read. And I read a TON of stuff when I first joined this message board. Search for "beer rules" and you can read for a weekend.

So, I would be well suited to take each of those instructors in the video cited earlier a 6-pack. I feel a bit obligated, even though I am a student. I mean, have you seen that thing? :D They EARNED that money.
Sincerely,
Kevin

[Now if you will excuse me, I have to go google "SCR ceremony".]

FUCK HIM!

:D:D:D

Apparently they don't do them down here in FL... might have to get the ball rolling. The organizer I was talking to didn't seem to amazed by the SCR, but when I told her about the NSCSA, she changed her tune a little.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Since when did i get a colt 45 reputation? I tell ya, its like sex. No one ever remembers the beautiful women you have nailed, but lay the poon hammer on one trollop and you get the reputation.

That is the reason i refuse to have sex with your mother ever again.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Since when did i get a colt 45 reputation? I tell ya, its like sex. No one ever remembers the beautiful women you have nailed, but lay the poon hammer on one trollop and you get the reputation.

That is the reason i refuse to have sex with your mother ever again.

You fuck one sheep, and they'll never let you live it down.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

It's because not enough Texans come down to play with us :P I had to get mine at the Farm by a Texan way past due. It's no fun being the only one to pour beer on people, and I'm not about to allow somebody to pour if they havent been poured on.

It's because not enough Texans come down to play with us :P I had to get mine at the Farm by a Texan way past due. It's no fun being the only one to pour beer on people, and I'm not about to allow somebody to pour if they havent been poured on.

Suck it up cupcake, come to Z-Hills and start the tradition!

.... and I'm not about to allow somebody to pour if they havent been poured on.

Absolutely! If you don't go through the ceremony, you don't get to pour...ever!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

.... and I'm not about to allow somebody to pour if they havent been poured on.

Absolutely! If you don't go through the ceremony, you don't get to pour...ever!

that brings up the "chicken or the egg"-question.. your logic is flawed!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

"beer rules" are a valid part of skydiving culture.

to what degree you want to take it,
is up to you,
and also will reflect on your future involvement in the social life, but more importantly in the learning process you have begun..

as when you pass out the beer- many will
1) offer congratulation you on your accomplishment-which will in the future remind them that you take all aspects of the sport seriously-even
'beer rules' which are not officially written in the CSPA BSR's (to my knowledge )
and
2) if they don't know what you did to give out the beer- they will ask you, and often share stories of their accomplishment of the same nature.

this will only solidify for you who are they sky divers that merely want to drink your beer,
vs
those who are interested in you as a person and want to help you progress forward.

I myself am not much of a drinker and certainly never drank as much as I did while buying beer for what seemed like every weekend at the beginning.
(which still was not much).

Finally, once you progress to things such as having your 1st reserve ride (hope that wont happen for a long time)

or your 100th jump etc

not only will you get feedback and the congrats from those you allready have learned are the guys/gals who do care about you as a person rather then the guy who brough them a free bottle(s) of beer....

you will learn something new.

if it s your 1st reserve ride,
those who care about your skydiving progressin will ask you lots of questions about what happaned and will offer you information that may help you in the future to either solve the problem and not have to cut away,

or perhaps not end up in that situation.

I had a video flyer who now is a coach2

tell me:

'TRY pulling one toggle down until you are in a fast spin, and quickly let it up and pull the opposite one down. its a great feeling, and very exciting as your body will swing forward and you will feel like you almost flipped over your canopy"

instead of just listening to his advice, and going ahead to do it,

I asked my DZO what would happen if I did that.

his quickrespnse while looking at me with that

'are you stupid?"
expression was

"DO YOU WANT A RESERVE RIDE?"

that was all I needed to know- although at that time I did not know what would happen

While only 3 weeks later I watched a student with only 30+ jumps follow the same information from her boyfriend- a very experienced skydiver (who should have known better0.

as she did this her main turned into a fairly quickly spinning malfunction.

Which she cut away, but without doing it completely,
leaving one riser still attached to her container.
once she deployed her reerve,
it became entangled with tha main hanging on her one riser.

now she was in a bit of an
ooh shit" position with 2 out both entangled together.
which of course luckily for her slowed her fall rate enough that she survived with a broke back and a broke leg.

( luck again was on her side and her broke back did not leave her paralyzed).

point being:

buying beer is a good way to show your appreciation,
a good way to start making new friends
a good way to figure out who is just after your beer and who is wanting to help you along in your progression (valuable thing to know- considering the above examples)

I for myself,
still to this day, annually on thanksgiving (after skydiving coming up on 4 yrs soon)

buy a bottle of my 1st video guy a mickey of his favorite booze,
the DZO a botle of wine (its what he likes to bring home for his wife and himself)
and a small 6 pack of my 1st AFF instructors favorite beer.
(along occasionally with a few 6 packs or even just a couple of more 'expensive' beer for individuals who have helped me along immensely- other skydivers and
NO I don't have a money tree in my backyard,

i live on disability pension,

BUT i make it a point to save year long for this thanksgiving
gifts' which may seem minimal to some people but for me I save annually for it.

because withut those people
i would not today be enjoying this sport as much as I DO NOW.

While those days when it felt like I was buying beer almost weekly for things like my 1st landing off the DZ, my 1st license, passing my AFF and on and on it went... but lately its been a long time since I've bough beer except for those thanksgiving days which are purely out of my own choice and not beer rules.

(recently I went to a new DZ for the 1st time and brought the DZO some Canadian Ice wine, and a bottle of Patron to share with the locals for all their help in packing, picking me up where ever I landed (being paralyzed it would be a daunting task to roll myself around on the ground till i got to my wheelchair- as my accuracy is not sufficient to land directly into it)
Those were done purely out of my own choice to show to the people there that I APPRECIATE the things they do for me....

i DO HOPE that made some sense.
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

And when do you plan on bringing this bear out to the Farm? Just give it to me and I'll be sure to taste test it and make sure it's drinkable. And if it passes I'll be absolutely sure that it gets out to all the right people. :):)

(And the suggestion of Sweetwater 420 should not be shrugged off. ;))

And when do you plan on bringing this bear out to the Farm? Just give it to me and I'll be sure to taste test it and make sure it's drinkable. And if it passes I'll be absolutely sure that it gets out to all the right people. :):)

(And the suggestion of Sweetwater 420 should not be shrugged off. ;))

I know what happens at the farm stays at the farm but that is pretty kinky:o
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

And when do you plan on bringing this bear out to the Farm?

I was hoping this weekend, but it doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate. (I live ~90 min away, so hard to just swing by.) I did breakdown and get some green stuff (and some of my "usual"). I mean, if that's what they really like to drink, who am I to say they shouldn't enjoy it? (Plus, they fly the plane, pack the rig I use, and give me advice, so I suppose it's better if they are content.)