Driver1

Blue Skies Magazine Sponsoring a Skyride Boogie?

Bummer and I liked the Magazine. Canceling it now

Done....

WOW....Just WOW...How about contact the magazine, Voice your issues???

Reminds me of Lemmings!:S

and what would those be that they do not already know? These folks are not stupid. They chose to support liars thieves and hucksters. It isn't a surprise to them. I really liked the magazine and thought they really wanted to bring something to the community and I wanted to support that but I CHOSE NOT TO SUPPORT LIEARS THIEVES AND HUCKSTERS andI know my friends feel the same and those over at BSM know or should have known that a great many readers feel the same.

Again I ,they and everyone else has the RIGHT to spend their money wherever and with whomever they choose.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Done....

and what would those be that they do not already know? These folks are not stupid. They chose to support liars thieves and hucksters. It isn't a surprise to them. I really liked the magazine and thought they really wanted to bring something to the community and I wanted to support that but I CHOSE NOT TO SUPPORT LIEARS THIEVES AND HUCKSTERS andI know my friends feel the same and those over at BSM know or should have known that a great many readers feel the same.

Again I ,they and everyone else has the RIGHT to spend their money wherever and with whomever they choose.

What did BSM say when you spoke to them about this issue?
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Couple of things mentioned here that bear repeating.

1) Does anyone even know if BSM even knows it's a Skyride DZ event yet?
2) Did anyone address the issue with them privately before creating this thread/hunt here?

Here's what I speculate (the dirty word on here) would have happened if a concerned jumper called them about it:

Concerned Jumper: "Hi BSM, do you know your supporting a boogie that is hosted by a DZ owned by the Skyride machine?
BSM: "What event are you talking about? We get requests from event organizers all over the world on a weekly basis?"
CJ: The xxxxx boogie in xxxxx."
BSM: "Oh okay, I think I got an email a month or two ago from a skydiver up that way asking for some Skygod>U t-shirts for a boogie contest or something."
CJ: Did you know the event is being held at xxxxx DZ owned by Skyride?"
BSM: "No we didn't now that, thank you for letting us know."
CJ: "So.........now, what are you gonna do about the event?"
BSM: "Well we already sent the shirts, but now we know for next time to check on the skyride affiliation of the boogies that ask for our support. If our readership disagrees with supporting those types of events, we want to try to respect that."
CJ: "Thank you, blue skies.'
BSM: "Blue skies to you too, oh wait hold on.....Skygod says not to forget that he's "> U" whatever that means. He's been in a bad mood all day since the coffee maker broke."

BSM is a fledging operation that needs our support IMHO. While I have yet to have a beer with Lara, Kolla or Pierre at the Perfect Spot, in the interactions that I have had with them, they have always conveyed that they are undertaking this massive project called BSM to make sure the skydiving community as a whole continues to have a real world outlet for skydiving information. I believe their huge efforts are vital to the continued growth of our sport.

If someone doesn't agree with a decision they made about supporting an event there are numerous ways to help them understand that perspective in a positive way that results in a mutually beneficial outcome for all involved. Why do things like this have to be gloom and doom, instead of being a positive opportunity to learn something?

Skygod > Me
Namaste,
Tom Noonan

www.everest-skydive.com

I am in 100% agreement with you. I emailed Lara to let her know about this thread but I am pretty sure she's out of the office today, her Facebook mentioned heading into the everglades.

I am betting that those who are making this into a big issue haven't taken the time to talk to BSM. As I said in a previous post busy people make snap decision, not all snap decisions are going to be perfect.

Getting crucified for sending a bit of swag to a boogie seems a bit extreme to me.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Nice to see a bunch of skydivers attempting to bully a small magazine into their own personal agenda's Crazy. It's certainly within your rights as a paying customer, as petty as it may be.

I see no problem with not supporting any company that participates in something you do not agree with.

It is one of the very principals of capitalism.
Does that make me petty, or a guy that has morals?

That being said..... I like Kolla a whole hell of a lot and doubt I would react so far. But I think people have the right to only support company's that align with their personal ethos.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Done....

This.
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Done....

What in your wildest dreeams makes you think the guy selling Ad space has a clue of Politics?

Done....

What in your wildest dreeams makes you think the guy selling Ad space has a clue of Politics?

Politics? Ummm I don't think any skydiver at least any that read any of the magazines doesn't know about Skyride and it isn't politics it is fact. They where tried and found guilty in a court of Law that is NOT politics.

Funny you are hammering me for having standards and thats ok doesn't hurt my feelings and I'm sure I am not hurting BSM I have just chosen to take my money elsewhere and will suggest the same to like minded folks. If BSM changes their standards then maybe i'll change my opinion but again they are not stupid people. They thought about the money instead of the right thing to do.

I have a standard I run my buinsness bye and it goes "Not all money is good money" there is way more to life then the all mighty dollar.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

It is completly in their right to support liars, thieves and hucksters just as it is MY RIGHT to not support someone that has choses to support liars, thieves and hucksters. It is MY money after all...sheesh

So you'll not be renewing your USPA membership either then, correct?

They thought about the money instead of the right thing to do.

You are basing practically your entire argument on the HUGE assumption that they had any clue at all about the connection between the event and skyride.

When requests for event support or ads such as this are received, they aren't always directly from the DZ, they can come from individuals, and alot of times those individuals aren't even staff at a particular DZ. Based on the sheer volume of events and ads out there in this global industry, it's impossible to expect that any entity is able to assure every event or ad has no connection whatsoever to skyride. I mean where does it end? What if you found out that your home DZ, that does not accept skyride, has an instructor there that USED to work for a skyride DZ? Would you demand they be fired? Or would you leave? What if a fun jumper that got an A License from a skyride DZ and showed up at your DZ to make a fun jump, should your DZO turn them away? Would you leave your DZ if the DZO sold a jump ticket to a fun jumper that got an A License from a skyride DZ?

You also claim that even if they didn't know, that they should have known.......that they have some sort of social responsibility to check this site and know whether or not every DZ in the nation has an affiliation with skyride or not. How this is possible is beyond me. From the little I do know about the production of BSM, it's produced by people working side by side of other jobs to pay the bills. Like having a 40 hour work week on top of a forty hour work week. Obviously skyride is in the forefront of your consciousness, to expect or to ask that it also be paramount to BSM's consciousness on top of everything else they are tasked with doing, is well extreme in your thinking if you ask me.

And again, if anyone jumped on here to start a "crusade" without contacting someone from BSM first, then shame on them. When we (skydivers) stop giving each other the benefit of the doubt, we lose a big reason why we are all in this in sport in the first place. Unity.

All I am asking of anyone that happens to read over this thread before BSM even has a chance to respond, is to just use some common sense here and not get caught up in the crusade "epidemic". Wait a week to do anything drastic like cancel your subscription. Chill out, it's the weekend, go make some skydives and see how BSM responds next week.

Skygod (still) > Me
Namaste,
Tom Noonan

www.everest-skydive.com

I agree with both Tom Noonan and Lisa on this. I am wondering, are you also on the list for disagreeing with the Mirage Ad? BSM is doing a great job and filling a void that was left when Skydiving Mag went away. There publication, Blog, and Facebook show the often forgotten lighter side of the sport of skydiving. Also, the Expo in Deland last year was great and IMO will only be getting better!

If PD also "sponsors" this Event, I would like to offer to buy all the PD jumpers' equipment who will no longer support PD!

Bryan Cavage
Bryan Cavage, D-19100
AFF I, Tandem I, Vidiot
http://www.dropzonesolutions.com
-Social Media Consultant and Skydiving Gear Guru

I agree with both Tom Noonan and Lisa on this. I am wondering, are you also on the list for disagreeing with the Mirage Ad? BSM is doing a great job and filling a void that was left when Skydiving Mag went away. There publication, Blog, and Facebook show the often forgotten lighter side of the sport of skydiving. Also, the Expo in Deland last year was great and IMO will only be getting better!

If PD also "sponsors" this Event, I would like to offer to buy all the PD jumpers' equipment who will no longer support PD!

Bryan Cavage

It looks to me that other retailers have more integrity.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I really liked the magazine and thought they really wanted to bring something to the community and I wanted to support that but I CHOSE NOT TO SUPPORT LIEARS THIEVES AND HUCKSTERS

Here's the problem, you're not supporting liars, theives, and hucksters by subscribing to BSM. The people at BSM are none of the above.

BSM isn't supporting liars, theives, and hucksters by sponsoring the boogie, they're supporting the jumpers who are putting on the boogie. I don't think those jumpers are liars, theives or hucksters (for the most part).

You could say that those jumpers themselves are supporting lairs, thieves and hucksters, but that might be a stretch and they might not have another viable option for a place to jump. If you think the fun jumpers are the ones paying the bills at a Skyride DZ, you need to re-examine the Skyride business model.

In any case, BSM is several steps disconnected from Skyride, and are really just supporting the jumpers at the boogie. How about a letter to the editor? If they're journalists, they'll either print or respond to your letter, because journalists don't hide from the truth, they seek it. If they ignore you, then maybe they are what you think they are, and then you cancel your subscription.

Bryan Cavage

C'mon...that's being petty and isolationist.
A-PD isn't sponsoring this event.
B-Even if they were...these companies manufacture skydiving equipment.
Imagine the silliness if jumpers said "I don't believe in BASE, military operations, tandems, aerial delivery into mountainous regions to poor people, aerial delivery to ships taken over by pirates...
Whose gear would you buy?

This was a hypothetical situation, as most of the unhappy people show PD Products as their canopy of choice in their profiles.

Bryan Cavage
Bryan Cavage, D-19100
AFF I, Tandem I, Vidiot
http://www.dropzonesolutions.com
-Social Media Consultant and Skydiving Gear Guru

Never said I was unhappy, quite the contrary.
I do love me some PD canopies.

DSE and Tom bring some very valid points to the discussion.
BSM may very well not be aware of the DZ they're sponsoring (which could also be a simple subscription as a drawing prize - which is next to nothing in the grand scheme of things.
My simple point all along has been that I would not knowingly support any SR entity. It just feels wrong to me.
I know the BSM folks are busy, so maybe we should give them some time.

So you'll not be renewing your USPA membership either then, correct?

If I didnt have to join to be able to teach AFF and jump at many DZs.... I would not be a member. But they are not stupid and they are forcing people to join.

USPA has a monopoly, BSM does not.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Dare I say another publicity notch in the belt for Blue Skies Magazine??????

Reminded me that I needed to renew my subscription. Went for 2 years instead of 1 this time.

Aye. Reminded me to send some positive feedback I've been meaning to give for a while.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.