Driver1

Blue Skies Magazine Sponsoring a Skyride Boogie?

At what point does someone's breaking of the law become too much for you? I assume you're not ok with my previous example about hit men, but you are ok with illegally stealing trademarks. Where do you personally draw the line?

Well honestly at no point does some else breaking the law too much for me.:o Because its not me doing it. I never said I was ok with stealing trade marks so dont spin my words to support your agenda.

Hi TAXIWAY,

Legally you can change one letter in a company name and nothing can be done.

A little story for you: A local jumper owned a beauty parlor; she called it United Hairlines. One day an attorney showed up & said that he represented United Airlines and that if she did not change the name of her company, they would proceed with litigation.

Compared to United Airlines, she was a rather small business, so she took the smart route & changed the name of her company.

It would be your choice to go along or fight. Think about the costs of winning? :S

JerryBaumchen

She made a choice not to fight it and let her self get bullied by a large corporation. I would have fought it. As she did nothing wrong.

My favorite similar case:
http://www.nissan.com/

:D

This doesnt really relate. Nissan owns the name nissan no ones owns the word skydiving. So the way I see it skydiving ******* is not the same as skydiving######.
But what the hell do I know. I am not a lawyer. If the skydiving operation name is not the same no lwa was broken.
Arizona skydiving is not the same as skydive Arizona any way you look at it.

Again I in no way endorse or am affiliated with skyride this is just my opinion and nothing more.
Do I fell bad about the money I made when working at a dz that accepted skyride hell no. I worked for every dime of it. The dz seemed to always get paid but hell they may own skyride dont know dont care.

Whats great about america you can spend your money where you want. I dont visit certain well know dz's in my state because of how they run the place, thats my choice.

The definition of irony:
"I dont visit certain well know dz's in my state because of how they run the place, thats my choice. "

You couldn't even begin to defend yourself in a serious lawsuit.
Much less against a major corporation with very deep pockets.
Google Monsanto lawsuits for instances.

Nissan does not own the rights to a family name, hence the Nissan family (US) still in possession of the web site.

The definition of irony:
"I dont visit certain well know dz's in my state because of how they run the place, thats my choice. "

You couldn't even begin to defend yourself in a serious lawsuit.
Much less against a major corporation with very deep pockets.
Google Monsanto lawsuits for instances.

Nissan does not own the rights to a family name, hence the Nissan family (US) still in possession of the web site.

hello Mr irony do you have a problem that I worked some where that accepted skyride. If you do please take 20 bucks out of you wallet and go buy your self a life sir.

I just actually read the the story about the nissan lawsuit I would have done the same as he did even if it meant loosing everything I had. You have to stand up and fight no matter how bug the other guy is.

At what point does someone's breaking of the law become too much for you? I assume you're not ok with my previous example about hit men, but you are ok with illegally stealing trademarks. Where do you personally draw the line?

Well honestly at no point does some else breaking the law too much for me.:o Because its not me doing it. I never said I was ok with stealing trade marks so dont spin my words to support your agenda.

I'm not spinning your words. You said you were ok with Skyride's practices. You also said you would be fine breaking the law if you felt you needed to to provide for your family. Your words.

And I'm not sure what the first part of your response is supposed to mean....

I understand that you've stated that this is all your opinion. You are perfectly entitled to those opinions, but that doesn't change the fact that they are incongruent with the laws in America and many other nations.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

>I just actually read the the story about the nissan lawsuit I would have done the
>same as he did even if it meant loosing everything I had. You have to stand up
>and fight no matter how bug the other guy is.

But you also said you wouldn't feel bad if you made money from a company like Nissan/Skyride, and that you'd do "whatever it takes" to feed your family.

So which is it? Would you fight and lose everything you (and your family) had? Or would you just go along with whatever they were doing, and do anything you could to keep food on the table for my family?

I'm not spinning your words. You said you were ok with Skyride's practices. You also said you would be fine breaking the law if you felt you needed to to provide for your family. Your words.

I understand that you've stated that this is all your opinion. You are perfectly entitled to those opinions, but that doesn't change the fact that they are incongruent with the laws in America and many other nations.

Dear sir you are totally spinning my words. Read that bold section then go back and reread my post a little slower so you understand. Then come back and show me where I said that.

. What exact laws have they broken? Not your opinion or interpretation of the law. They are definitely treading a serious grey area.

If i wanted to open Fort Brag window tinting there is not a damn thing the military can do to stop me from using that name. Legally you can change one letter in a company name and nothing can be done.

I have nothing to say about this thread, BSM, etc., but TAXI's comment is simply and obviously untrue.

Don't believe me? Try opening a park called Disnee World, a pizza delivery joint called Papa Jon's or a computer S&S company called Macrosoft. You'll quickly get schooled in brand recognition and extended ownership rights.

It's just not that simple.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Dear sir you are totally spinning my words. Read that bold section then go back and reread my post a little slower so you understand. Then come back and show me where I said that.

. What exact laws have they broken? Not your opinion or interpretation of the law. They are definitely treading a serious grey area.

"When I worked at jump jax they accepted skyride and I made a lot of money off of them I have no issues with them. Skyride may have deceptive marketing but its working cause they are making cash."

That sure sounds like you're ok with it to me.

And there is no law without interpretation. We are in a common law system. But the interpretation that matters is the courts', not mine. And common law supports that Skyride has, to name a few, committed acts of cyber-squatting, trademark infringement, trademark dilution, and wire fraud. There's a few for you.

My statement clearly says they have bad business practices as far as advertising. But I still had no problems back then cause I made money off of them and to my knowledge the dz always got paid.

You got any links with proof of the wire fraud? Are you saying they are selling skydives and not providing a skydives? So if this is the case why are the feds not involved or are they? Are they not paying the dz's that are taking there people up?

So you guys will go out on a crusade against every business that partners with skyride. Even if the owner of the dz partners with them to save his failing dz?

You can legally have a similar name. arizona skydiving is not skydive arizona 2 different names totally.

Just like the dz trying to open in deland could use deland skydiving center and have no issues. Its similar and yes people will go to the wrong dz and they will take customers from each other. Happens every day in any business.

My statement clearly says they have bad business practices as far as advertising. But I still had no problems back then cause I made money off of them and to my knowledge the dz always got paid.

You got any links with proof of the wire fraud? Are you saying they are selling skydives and not providing a skydives? So if this is the case why are the feds not involved or are they? Are they not paying the dz's that are taking there people up?

So you guys will go out on a crusade against every business that partners with skyride. Even if the owner of the dz partners with them to save his failing dz?

You can legally have a similar name. arizona skydiving is not skydive arizona 2 different names totally.

Just like the dz trying to open in deland could use deland skydiving center and have no issues. Its similar and yes people will go to the wrong dz and they will take customers from each other. Happens every day in any business.

Having no problems with it=being ok with it. Thanks for affirming my original point.

It is not true that you can have a similar name with no restrictions. It's more complicated. You are right that there are terms that cannot be trademarked or protected; they are called generic terms. For example, anyone can use the words fast food. But if the name in question can be misunderstood by consumer's, the original owners may have a valid complaint. Once again, see the case of Victor's Secret v. Victoria's Secret.

And I have never said that I'm not a crusade against all businesses who patronize Skyride. Read my previous posts if you'd like to see what my position is.

Last, just because someone hasn't been sued/prosecuted yet doesn't mean they haven't broken the law. That one should be clear enough.

:)

It was not my intention to imply that SR perpetrated bank frauds.

These were only examples, "what ifs", for you, since you had said "Whatever man, it paid my bills".

The question I asked about using your name is not about legitimate competition.

I have no problem with legitimate competition.

So I asked about a form of competition designed to hurt you.

If someone uses your name in order to damage you, you still have no problem with it?

Maybe he uses your name and does good work. That still takes work out of your business, and money out of your pocket.

Are you really okay with that sort of thing?

A general allegation against SR is that SR improperly uses the names of businesses they are not.

Is that really okay?

I wonder if he would be ok with it if the phone numbers he uses for business were using was mysteriously transferred to another location. After all, the guy that made the mysterious switch ahppne is just trying to put food on his table.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

My statement clearly says they have bad business practices as far as advertising. But I still had no problems back then cause I made money off of them and to my knowledge the dz always got paid..

Maybe yours did. Not all DZs who accepted the certificates got paid. How would you feel if your DZ was one of those who got shafted?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I think BSM is great I may buy another subscription just to make up for the dumb asses that cancelled theirs.

And you would have that right. Just as others have the right to cxl.

And this:

If I have to resort to breaking the law to survive I will.

And this:

I am a firm believer in karma.

Do not jive well together.

I never said I was ok with stealing trade marks so dont spin my words to support your agenda.

Uh, you sure did:

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I think BSM is great I may buy another subscription just to make up for the dumb asses that cancelled theirs.

And you would have that right. Just as others have the right to cxl.

And this:

And this:

I am a firm believer in karma.

Do not jive well together.

I never said I was ok with stealing trade marks so dont spin my words to support your agenda.

Uh, you sure did:

Ron go f u ck yourself. And dont bother sending me a pm flexing your internet muscles again it wont work. lol

Billy,

I'm sorry I may have missed this somewhere but can you be specific in NAMING a dz that didn't get paid? My local dz has taken them forever and has not had one problem.

Thanks

Thats the thing here no one has posted proof of anything. Its all hearsay with out the proof. Jump jax always got paid.

Ron go f u ck yourself. And dont bother sending me a pm flexing your internet muscles again it wont work. lol

The irony is off the chart here!!!! Don't blame me for you inability to keep your own comments straight and your anger in check.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334