Phillbo

Night Tandems

In the US, Tandem Skydiving is Student Skydiving. Student Skydives must be complete by Official Sunset. That means the students feet on the ground.

BSR 2-1, E-9

The only exception is for record attempts and the "Student" was a licensed Skydivier Qualified to make nights jumps as well as the T-I. And of Course the Military for Ops.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

That may be a long trip for the OP.

Matt

True, but it wasn't clear why he was asking. And as I recall that thread had some good discussion about the pros and cons of doing them, etc.

Other than "make more money", I do not remember to many "Pro's" in that thread. A lot was discussed of safety for the Student though. To some I guess that may be a "Con".

Matt

In the US, Tandem Skydiving is Student Skydiving. Student Skydives must be complete by Official Sunset. That means the students feet on the ground.

BSR 2-1, E-9

The only exception is for record attempts and the "Student" was a licensed Skydivier Qualified to make nights jumps as well as the T-I. And of Course the Military for Ops.

Matt

For further clarification, Tandem night jumps are totally USPA legal as long as both jumpers hold a USPA License.
As for the FAA, there are no rules specific to tandem night jumps.

Mike Mullins
USPA National Director

BSR 2-1, E-9

Matt

For further clarification, Tandem night jumps are totally USPA legal as long as both jumpers hold a USPA License.

Mike Mullins
USPA National Director

I guess I could have stated "Per USPA BSR's" in my post.:)
Matt

Do a search. I'm pretty sure that Rhys posted about doing night tandems on the South Island of NZ a while back.

Nah not in NZ, I was talking about Australia, I did one in Wollongong when they were trialling them there, I have since moved on to my own venture. But they are doing them every full moon now!

Under the part 149 that regulates our DZ, we are not allowed to do night tandems but there is another in NZ that does allow.

It all comes down to paperwork and having the right equipment.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Other than "make more money", I do not remember to many "Pro's" in that thread. A lot was discussed of safety for the Student though. To some I guess that may be a "Con".

Same as jumping out of a plane in the first place really, with your attitude I am surprised you condone jumping at all.

One signature allowing it and you will be all for it....
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Same as jumping out of a plane in the first place really, with your attitude I am surprised you condone jumping at all.

Why is it that anyone, be it a Government, a country or just an individual, that disagrees with your idea of what is right is always wrong? Most of us don’t jump out of a plane for money we do for recreation. You should try it sometime. Are you that “one way” in real life?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

What?

Matt

What?

Matt

Matt,

You express an opinion and he calls it attitude. He expresses and opinion and thinks it is gospel. I suspect a lot of personal issues.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

BSR 2-1, E-9

Matt

Mike Mullins
USPA National Director

Correct me if I am wrong but Night Tandems ARE legal in the United States. With that said, it is against the BSR's if you are a USPA Group Member or a USPA rated Tandem Instructor. And if you do it you could lose your group membership or your individual ratings/membership or both. Further, if you are not a USPA Group Member and are not a USPA member with a Tandem rating but are certified by the manufacturers, you can do night Tandems. BUT, the Manufacturers, from my experience, will no longer sell you spare parts or support you in any way. They are absolutely opposed to it as a general practice... and I agree with them.

Buzz Fink