Thanatos340

Old School..

Doing a little spring cleaning today and found a Flyer from the place I first started jumping in the early 90`s (attached). A few things I found amusing on the flyer:

"The Main Parachute is a Piglet23, which is indisputably regarded as the safest, most reliable parachute in the world."

"Your 6th and 7th jumps - On those jumps you go all the way up to 7000 feet and jump with the instructor and activate your own parachute."

Yep, You had to earn that altitude too. Work your way up from 3000 ft where you started out. Also check out the prices.:D:D

Did those $20 jumps after your 7th include rig hire and repack? If not, that's pretty expensive isn't it...?
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Circa 1972

The 6 jump course at my DZ was $75, but I took the pay-as-you-go plan. $45 for jump 1 and $10 for the next 5 which included the clear & pull.

Experienced jumper rates were $2.50 to 2,500 ft, $4.00 to 7,200 ft.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Why do I have the feeling someone took a pamphlet from the late 70's or early 80's, changed "The drug of the 70/80's" to "The drug of the 90's", updated the prices, and left the rest as is?

Piglet 23 (circa 1976)
Talks about military style gear...
Mentions something that was approved in 1978...

That looks rather dated by early 90's standards.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Fun...
i remember piglets
some people had them as mains AND reserves.

they were the "next Hot item":P for maybe 3 years...;)

Now was your instructors name, Truman?? Truman Sparks???

i was able to get my first 6 jumps for UNDER 100 bucks...
Training, gear,, such as it WAS,[:/] and lift ticket, for Static Line # 1 was 50 bucks.

then 4 more SLs' @ 10 bucks each and then the first Freefall, from 3 grand i think.. SIX dollars.....
So that left 4 bucks from a C Note which then, (1972) easily bought a cold Six pack!!!! Had NEVER been in a plane before... soon had 150 take-offs...or more... and ZERO landings , in an airplane.....
First time i ever landed in a plane was when visiting Stormville NY's DZ and Willie Sweet, saw there were enough jumpers to warrant driving over to Poughkeepie and "getting the Lodestar".B|. when he asked if anyone wanted to ride in the pick-up truck and then FLY back... i went along.... Thought for SURE,,, that we'd never even REACH the runway.. since i'd never seen such a shallow... angle of approach, before.:o:S;)

thanks for posting that nostalgic flyer...
jmy

Now was your instructors name, Truman?? Truman Sparks???

Truman had a much nicer operation.;)

Training pretty much consisted of a 6 foot ladder and old junk mattress and we practiced PLFs (Or Banana Rolls as he called them). The plane was a 152 that had a broken starter and lots of Duct tape. He had to hand spin the prop to start the plane. I remember thinking when he cut on Jump run and told me crawl out on the Strut... No problem, It has to be safer out there than in here!!

It was literally Pilot assisted deployment. He would fly the plane with one hand and once you got out, You would hand him your Pilot Chute he would hold it in his other hand while you exited and then toss it out after the pin was pulled.

Excellent Jay

did the plane still have the back "seat" in it.. the few times i jumped a C 150 .. it seems they took the door OFF. took the co pilot seat OUT
and One maybe two jumpers would be "in the back"....

i would trust a static line... CONNECTED somewhere..... :o
over a hand deploy by the P. I. C . :o:S
so YOU win Frist place,, in the "hairy -scarey" department....B|;)
what sort of a step was there...??? besides Just a Tire..!??:|
jaytee

yep. Door was Off. No back seat. 2 Jumpers and PIC. One sat across the back and the other sat in a ball kinda beside and kinda behind the pilot. No Step either just the tire.

First time I went up was actually the first time I had ever been in a plane too. But I did land in the plane that time because My father (Who was Doing his first jump too) went first but ended up landing on the runway under that Piglet 23. Busted 3 vertebra in his back. we had to circle for a while before we could land because they couldn't get him off the runway safely. Finally landed, got him loaded into the ambulance and then went back up and did my jump. After I landed (safely by some miracle) and then drove to hospital to see dad and show him my video (Shot from the ground of course) and tell him.. see, This is how you were supposed to do it!!.

He never jumped again. I did a couple more there later on but then quit for about 10 years after that.