KevinP

Making suggestions to AFF-I??

Ah, if only my finance person was collocated with me. I almost feel bad. She is in Texas coordinating with the Army regarding the logistics of our move to Hawaii. My daughter is home on spring break and I tried to get them to come over here for a visit, but she rightfully cited gas prices. All I'm doing is learning a new job and skydiving. :)

Sincerely,
Kevin

Hey Kevin! I too jump at SDAZ and I have found most of the AAFIs to be very approachable on questions concerning your learning how to skydive. The only time I have got any attitude from a few of them was when I inquired about future skydives when to them I should have been focusing on my current jump. I don't understand why inquiring about the learning path is a concern if you are comfortable with your current dive flow, but apparently to some, inquisitiveness is taboo. That is my experience so far. Overall, I am quite pleased with our dropzone. The vibe is very positive and they have most everything you need there except a general store. And Square 2 does not qualify as a real general store.

I'm heading back up there on Thursday the 24th if this front passes through by then. Let me know when you're going to be there.
"Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see."

-Benjamin Franklin

but apparently to some, inquisitiveness is taboo.

You do not talk about multiplication till your students have shown the ability to add.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

When I was a young instructor I often tried to give too much information to the students. When students asked questions I gave them the WHOLE answer.

For example learning to spot could take hours if you include all the possible factors.

So it is best to teach one small bit at a time, then add in another layer once they understand the first lesson. This way you are building a complete understanding with a solid grasp of the preceding tasks.

If you gave them everything at once, they may never get the first lesson and they will forget something (human nature that we will not remember everything we are taught).

I know it is frustrating when you are new and want to learn 24/7 but can only make a few jumps per day. Some students think this is the instructor "holding them back".... Well, we just want you to own the tasks before we give you more.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334