MakeItHappen

Attention Indiana Skydivers

I spoke with Randy Allison (Regional Director) regarding this bill today. He was aware of the bill and so is the USPA. The Director of Government Relations for the USPA, Randy Ottinger is working on this too. It sounded like this was a high priority for the USPA because it will set a precedence for other states.

It's pretty mysterious as to why this bill has came about...

I encourage everyone to write Senator Waltz but please be professional. It would be counter productive for name calling and foul language.

Good to hear. This state and/or local regulation crap surfaces every once in a while.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Maybe Bob Dougherty finally pissed off slept with the wrong person.

There fixed it for ya.:P

I thought he was happily married now. B|
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

I thing the backstory is that the Senator's nephew (aka Tommy Boy) needs a job that allows him to travel around the state and make free skydives.
But really, this will do nothing but run all dropzones out of Indiana. Once the little ones go, then the big ones have to pay more, so they go. As someone starting a new dropzone in IN this year (http://www.plymouthskysports.com), this makes wonder how much to invest into the location. Glad I am starting with a 1+1 lease instead of a 10 or 20 year.
I really don't think there is any possible way this will pass once it receives the opposition it deserves. I think (and hope) lots of folks will step up and voice their concern. If it can happen to IN, it can happen anywhere next!
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

I really don't think there is any possible way this will pass once it receives the opposition it deserves. I think (and hope) lots of folks will step up and voice their concern.

And if that doesn't work, I think the mafia needs to get into the skydiving business.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

I really don't think there is any possible way this will pass once it receives the opposition it deserves. I think (and hope) lots of folks will step up and voice their concern.

And if that doesn't work, I think the mafia needs to get into the skydiving business.

Aren't they already in Georgia and Tennessee?:):P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

How the hell did this end up on this dip shit's radar?

When Bob D. got his insurance check for crashing the caravan, they threw a big ass "new airplane" party.... and I just knew sure as shit, when I saw this guy's 14 year old Daughter win the wet t-shirt contest that night, there was going to be a heap of trouble....

Last I heard she had run off with a packer from Jerry's flying circus...

Thread is useless without photos.

Wait, what?
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

The question that needs to be answered is who/what prompted this Senator to propose such a bill. The statements in the bill are a little to specific for a non-skydiver to come up with. This Senator has either done some really good homework, or "someone" is trying to sabotage skydiving in Indiana.

Anyone who has relatives in Indiana might consider talking to them, to let them know about this, and why they think it's a bad idea.

We end up with more people who know something about DZs that way, rather than only the sensationalistic stuff in the newspaper.

Also, snail mail is infinitely preferable to email when writing congresscritters.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The question that needs to be answered is who/what prompted this Senator to propose such a bill. The statements in the bill are a little to specific for a non-skydiver to come up with. This Senator has either done some really good homework, or "someone" is trying to sabotage skydiving in Indiana.

Some parts of the bill are an exact copy of the similar Nevada law (although in Nevada, there is no administrative enforcement mechanism, and there is no licensing requirement). The outdated verbiage (i.e. "jumpmaster") is in both the Nevada law and this Indiana bill.

I have some feedback from the lawyer in IN.

Senator Waltz has received LOTS of emails from out of state.

However, some of these emails are 'very unprofessional' and 'crazy'.
These 'very unprofessional' and 'crazy' emails tend to obscure 'the well thought out communications and are not helpful at all'.

If you really want to help, please write the Senator and address him properly, speak forthrightly.
If you don't know how to do that, wait until the sample letter from the lawyer is distributed.

To the yahoos writing the crazy emails - don't screw this up for the rest of us.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Some parts of the bill are an exact copy of the similar Nevada law (although in Nevada, there is no administrative enforcement mechanism, and there is no licensing requirement). The outdated verbiage (i.e. "jumpmaster") is in both the Nevada law and this Indiana bill.

Does anyone know about a fatality in the last few years in Indiana? Especially a student or low experienced newbie jumper? Even a serious injury to a student/newbie could be a factor.

There have been cases over the years of distraught family members going to their state representative and trying to get some laws governing skydiving enacted. There was an issue like this 15 to 20 years ago in the Northeast USA, I think in Massachusetts.

There was also a Cessna that went in after a jumper had a main pin come lose on the step and the bag entangled with the gear.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=1312925;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was that incident in Illinois, and not in Indiana?

There was a conference call this morning (among Indiana DZOs and legal representation). There is a meeting tomorrow in Indianapolis for Q & A. From what I understand, the Senator claims to know nothing about this bill, he just passed it through as a favor for someone (presumably). Keep your fingers crossed!
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

the Senator claims to know nothing about this bill, he just passed it through as a favor for someone (presumably).

Then the senator is an ass for putting his name on proposed legislation he doesn't know anything about, and we need to know who this person is for whom the favor is being done, and why that person wants this legislation.

Somewhere behind the scenes I'll bet there's a grieving widow, who thinks they're actually doing something positive to make the sport safer, so others won't have to suffer like them...

I kind of took this as the USPA helped write it. It seems to me like a good way for the USPA to be legally in charge, since non group member dz's will be required to follow their rules whether they agree with them or not.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I kind of took this as the USPA helped write it. It seems to me like a good way for the USPA to be legally in charge, since non group member dz's will be required to follow their rules whether they agree with them or not.

Sounds a bit far fetched.
And in another post it appears USPA was against it, or working to have it not go to a vote.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

And in another post it appears USPA was against it, or working to have it not go to a vote.

Per update today, sounds like they've been successful. Nice work between USPA and local jumpers.

http://www.uspa.org/NewsEvents/News/tabid/59/Default.aspx#20323
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Per update today, sounds like they've been successful. Nice work between USPA and local jumpers.

Excellent!

But they need to keep all that work in their back pocket, because that idiot legislator is likely to just re-introduce the same bill again next session...

It doesn't hurt that the Democrats have been holding things up with the RTW laws either. When I was there they pretty much took roll call then reccessed until Monday. :)

"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.