guineapiggie101

how do you NOT hurt yourself if you flare too early on landing...

That might be a possibility but I'm not sure. Right now, just trying to point my feet when doing an arch is painful for my right foot.

Its been a struggle for me even to get this far. I have had issues with most of my levels. To combat my fears I was doing like 2 jumps a week.

And it is fun to be up there. I guess I am frustrated because this isn't something I CAN control. >:(. Stupid foot.

One other question, since I don't want to start a new thread. Do people ever just go hang out at the DZ for fun, even if they are not going to jump? Or is that something looked on as an oddity?

I can't speak for Elsinore as I have never been there, but I hear it is a VERY friendly DZ. But at my home DZ jumpers are welcome to hang out if they are injured or can't jump for some reason.

If you are going, two ways to make your time useful would be:

1. Learn to pack
2. Watch lots of landings. If possible watch them with an instructor who can talk you through what people are doing right and wrong. It is not a substitute for actually doing them, but you may find it useful.

All the best.
D
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

One other question, since I don't want to start a new thread. Do people ever just go hang out at the DZ for fun, even if they are not going to jump? Or is that something looked on as an oddity?

I have a feeling that I prob won't be able to make a jump this weekend since i am still hobbling around.

I hope I can jump by next weekend. I have no idea how long it takes foot sprains to heal. Doing a search on here, I've seen people say a few weeks to a few months.>:(. Id rather just "push the envelope" and do it asap.

I don't want to forget stuff I've learned and/or develop fears of landing

Hanging around dz's is fun. You get to watch, listen and learn. I don't know anything about your dz but it is probably a good opportunity to start learning how to pack.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I have a feeling that I prob won't be able to make a jump this weekend since i am still hobbling around.

I hope I can jump by next weekend. I have no idea how long it takes foot sprains to heal. Doing a search on here, I've seen people say a few weeks to a few months.>:(. Id rather just "push the envelope" and do it asap.

I don't want to forget stuff I've learned and/or develop fears of landing

Yes many people go to the DZ when they don’t plan to jump. Nobody will think it is odd. As a student there is a lot that can be learned that way. Watching people pack, learning to pack yourself, just becoming more familiar with the gear. Ask your instructors if they mind you shadowing them while they work with other students. Watching instructors talk a student down over the radio and give a debrief can be helpful. Some of the other students I met when I was learning have become lifelong friends. (Others, not so much:P)

I just had surgery on my left shoulder and still visit the dropzone at least once a week, Visiting friends and watching landings, I thinks it helps me get my skydiving fix and keeps me in touch.

I'm healing up from a broken arm and haven't jumped in nearly two months but I still spend most of my weekends at the DZ (Elsinore). Plenty of people just hang out even if they don't jump. It's a chance to meet people and make friends and learn. It's a social sport, and making friends early on makes the transition from student to licensed jumper alot easier as well as just making the DZ a more pleasant place to be.

Spending your time at the DZ helps keep you connected to the sport and is way better than sitting in front of your TV, depressed because you can't jump.

Hanging on the DZ means you can see more thats happening, hear snippets of good info, hear other students asking the same questions you're asking, and you'll be around the people training you.
You already know it's a good vibe here. The Sat night weekend rager is this weekend, and the warm weather promises that there will be a large gathering.

I guess people do just hang out at the DZ, even if not jumping. I always thought people would find it odd, since the few times I was there, I was always asked if I was jumping that day or not. The vibe at Elsinore is pretty laid back though and I like it there.

I'll be around sometime this weekend. Not sure what day. I have a few questions I want to clear up about my landing last week, and just to watch people jump is cool.

Heck ya, I use that very technique to check out the vibe at new DZs before jumping there... You can figure out the pattern, how the planes load, etc.
At your own DZ its handy to watch other people land , etc. AT Perris I spent many hours watching big ways, other peoples landings , etc. There are even people who hang at DZs that never jump, you can always hit the bar too(cause you aint jumpin)

Hey GP,
I agree that many things can be learned from being on the DZ, yet not jumping. You can watch landings or watch people pack, etc. Look for Lisa H, if you need company on the ground. She's always there watching the activity and knows many of the regulars.

Another great idea is to manifest for a sunset observer ride. You'll have a beautiful view in the co-pilot's seat. It's really fun to watch people as they exit, especially after the last one leaves and Karl dives the plane downwards. Plus, you'll be able to chat with Karl or with whomever is flying the plane. It's always good to get to know the DZO or pilot. As you now know, they're all really good people at SD Elsinore. Have fun, be safe and keep learning! :)

Another great idea is to manifest for a sunset observer ride. You'll have a beautiful view in the co-pilot's seat. It's really fun to watch people as they exit, especially after the last one leaves and Karl dives the plane downwards. Plus, you'll be able to chat with Karl or with whomever is flying the plane. It's always good to get to know the DZO or pilot. As you now know, they're all really good people at SD Elsinore. Have fun, be safe and keep learning! :)

I never knew you could do that. Now, that's something new. Actually I would find it fun to go on a sunset observer ride. That would be soo cool.

especially after the last one leaves and Karl dives the plane downwards. Plus, you'll be able to chat with Karl or with whomever is flying the plane. :)

It's Jason or Warren most of the time, and I'm (most of the time) the last one out, so we can chuckle a bit, Betty... you'll have fun on the sunset observer.

especially after the last one leaves and Karl dives the plane downwards. Plus, you'll be able to chat with Karl or with whomever is flying the plane. :)

It's Jason or Warren most of the time, and I'm (most of the time) the last one out, so we can chuckle a bit, Betty... you'll have fun on the sunset observer.

Cool. I'll call the office tomorrow and see how I can set that up.

Can I bring a camera and take pics? I love scenery, esp from up high.

I spent most of yesterday at the DZ and had a great time. Got to talk to a lot of people and find out more about skydiving. I guess it really is common for people to come and hang out.. Saw a few people prepping with their instructors for their FJC jump and that was fun watching that.

They didn't have a sunset load yesterday due to logistical issues, which is understandable. I will do that another time,but it's all good

I even stayed for the rager and participated in the "creeper" bowling. THAT was a hoot:S.

Elsinore is a great DZ and I am really happy I chose this place to take my AFF classes.

I am thinking of trying to get some tunnel time in this week, if possible. I REALLY want to try to jump again by next weekend or the weekend after. Yesterday, I hobbled around for most of the day and it wasn't too bad as compared to earlier in the week when I couldn't even put weight on the foot and had to use crutches.

thanks!

In case I am not able to go up in the air again for a few more weeks (I will find out on Tues when I go see the foot doc), do you guys think working in a tunnel a few times before I go back up, will help me stay current and maybe get through the levels better?

People were telling me yesterday, if I can't go up, I can still do the tunnel.

I didn't read all 4 pages. So excuse me if this was covered.

1- talk to your instructors about this. that is why they are there. They should be watching you and can give you real feedback. Not just ideas from an internet forum.

2-Practice your flare A LOT at higher altitude.
get the hang of the reaction time of the canopy.
Bigger canopies don't react as quickly as experienced ones.

it may help you figure out how fast you need to flare when the instructor tells you to.

Don't look straight down when you flare.

3- practice PLF's:
feet and knees together, elbows in, knees slightly bent. roll to one side. feet, calves, thighs, lower back, opposite shoulder
Practice by standing first then jump from a picnic bench then when that is soft move to the picnic table.

4- Don't take frustrations from previous jumps up on your next.
My photos

My Videos

do you guys think working in a tunnel a few times before I go back up, will help me stay current and maybe get through the levels better?

I don't have much tunnel time, but the little I do have helped enormously. Obviously it won't help your canopy flying, but it will really help your freefall skills.

If you have the time and the money I say do it. I only wish there was a tunnel within reach of me.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Im still fresh and don't have many jumps but here's my experience during the course.

My first landing, I f*cked it up, flared a bit high, canopy went to a holt, wind took me and I started going backwards. I looked back to see where I was going to land and my left hand went up. Canopy went sideways into the ground, I did the same. If I had looked forward and just tried to hold the canopy straight and PLF'ed, my landing would still be bad, but probably much better.

Before the next jumps I told myself;

I'm going to do what I have learned no matter how strong the instinct to do something else is. If the canopy reacts unexpected just keep going and prepare for PLF. I always wanted to flare too early, so when I -wanted- to flare I waited a bit and I kind of just flared when I saw I had to. If I flared a bit too late I flared faster.

It helped me to think about taking control...I'm GONNA do it right this time! If I get hurt, well...I'll still get hurt if I do it wrong.
I think it's easy to get into this mindset where you expect that you gonna mess it up AGAIN. And then you just don't try hard enough and your prophecy comes true.

Thinking a lot about the next dive, and thinking hard about what I need to change. Don't just hope it goes better and get into the "lets just get it over with" mindset. This helped me alot :)