hcsvader

Raising minimum deployment altitude

How about we just cut out the whole freefall thing. It's getting too dangerous.;)

:D:D
It all started when some fool decided to start doing 5-second delays.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It all started when some fool decided to start doing 5-second delays.

And that happened because people learned how to stay stable.

Stability obviously is overrated.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I would like those who are adamantly against this to propose a better solution. So far all I hear is why this is a bad idea, status quo blah blah blah.

While I am not adamantly against raising the AAD firing altitude I don’t see the need for it. My proposal is for better training during student and continued training by individual jumper after that. Skydiving is a high speed, high stress activity that does not tolerate hesitation or confusion. The reason someone would end up in the situation of the jumper in this incident is the jumper allowed it to happen. I am sure it was not intentional but was the result of losing situational awareness. This has killed jumpers since before I came into the sport and it will continue as long as people jump from airplanes. All this talk about trying to fix the problem by changing an electronic device or even inventing some new device is a failure to recognize the root cause to this type of event. It was caused by the jumper’s failure to start EP’s high enough. We never know why she did this but we do know she did not pull her reserve with enough altitude for it to open.
To continue to stress changing the parameter of AAD’s will just reinforce device dependency in jumpers.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I just want to fix what is broken first.
If, after establishing that we have gear that meets the specs, we are still left with cases where an extra second would have made a difference, then by all means, let's look at that too.

Dang it. Every time I have a sensible post, you beat me to it.
[:/]
Some are already blaming activation altitude when, in fact, we don't know that yet, do we?
Can anyone point to incidents that the AAD did NOT activate when the parameters were met?
Now compare that number to how many times it DID.
Always keep in mind tat what happens after

activation is independent.

If I'm correct this thread is inspired by Bill Booths proposed raising the min opening altitude so AAD firing could be raised as well. His stated reason was that AADs were firing but PC hesitations, or some other misc condition delayed the deployment resulting in impact under a partially deployed reserve. If we are going to fix this problem lets get back on track and help identify the cause(s) that reserves are not fully deploying in time after an aad activation.

I just want to fix what is broken first.
If, after establishing that we have gear that meets the specs, we are still left with cases where an extra second would have made a difference, then by all means, let's look at that too.

Dang it. Every time I have a sensible post, you beat me to it.
[:/]
Some are already blaming activation altitude when, in fact, we don't know that yet, do we?
Can anyone point to incidents that the AAD did NOT activate when the parameters were met?
Now compare that number to how many times it DID.
Always keep in mind tat what happens after

activation is independent.

If I'm correct this thread is inspired by Bill Booths proposed raising the min opening altitude so AAD firing could be raised as well. His stated reason was that AADs were firing but PC hesitations, or some other misc condition delayed the deployment resulting in impact under a partially deployed reserve. If we are going to fix this problem lets get back on track and help identify the cause(s) that reserves are not fully deploying in time after an aad activation.
I atree. The opening altitudes are no guarantee, but the best compromise between saftety, and accepted practices. leave them as is. Mo Opinion only...
But what do I know?

If I'm correct this thread is inspired by Bill Booths proposed raising the min opening altitude so AAD firing could be raised as well.

Post #1 does not mention that. Booth gets mentioned in passing in Post #9 by Para5-0. Divalent took the post off in that direction with his off-topic Post #20.

Manufacturers are working on the problems that rigs can cause (take Aerodyne's Icon, for example).

Not a lot anyone can do about many of the causes of smacking the ground with no reserve out in time (take stupidity, for example).

(The ADD activation altitude is being discussed in other threads, too.
Offsetting ADD opening Altitudes WAS: Fatality - Cross Keys - 3/25/11 , for example).

Sorry, I just had a brain-hiccup getting off on (..., for example).
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

While I am not adamantly against raising the AAD firing altitude I don’t see the need for it. My proposal is for better training during student and continued training by individual jumper after that. Skydiving is a high speed, high stress activity that does not tolerate hesitation or confusion. The reason someone would end up in the situation of the jumper in this incident is the jumper allowed it to happen. I am sure it was not intentional but was the result of losing situational awareness. This has killed jumpers since before I came into the sport and it will continue as long as people jump from airplanes. All this talk about trying to fix the problem by changing an electronic device or even inventing some new device is a failure to recognize the root cause to this type of event. It was caused by the jumper’s failure to start EP’s high enough. We never know why she did this but we do know she did not pull her reserve with enough altitude for it to open.
To continue to stress changing the parameter of AAD’s will just reinforce device dependency in jumpers.

Exactly that!
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----