hokierower

Extreme loyalty to home DZ?

I'm a new skydiver and due to my line of work and the company I work for, I probably will be moving around for at least the next 4-6 years. I'm a student right now at San Marcos in Texas and don't know where I'll be in another 3-4 months but i'll most likely have another DZ to call home.

Reading through the thread re: Zhills & Deland it seemed like a lot of people have an intense pride and loyalty to their home DZ. I would assume that this is just like a person having an intense loyalty to a pro or college sports team but I could be wrong.

Is this a common occurence with skydivers or is it more apparent with certain DZs?

Is this a common occurence with skydivers or is it more apparent with certain DZs?

Both.

It is also more common with younger jumpers than with people that have been around a long time.

But I still have more positive feelings for DZ's that I have been a local at.... It most likely has to do with the benefits being a local can normally provide... and knowing the whole story as opposed to just a section of it.

But it is pretty common to defend your friends and some people think of a DZ as a friend.

So yes, it is normal and yes it is more common at certain DZ's

Reading through the thread re: Zhills & Deland

That is kinda a bad example to use.... There is a long and history between the three DZ's.

But, it is not uncommon for the DZO of DeLand to be flying jumpers in Zhills..... So it is pretty clear there is no bad blood between ZHills and DeLand.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I think its fear. The best jumpers I have known, jump a lot of different places. The bad ones stayed home. When you go different places you learn new things. Meet new people, see different equipment.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

I call 'em "homers." The ones that never leave their home DZ, or if they do, go to another DZ with a large group from their home DZ and only jump with those folks, sometimes passing up the chance to jump with great organizers in the process.

I think having a DZ to call "home" is one of the nice things about this sport, but being able to get out and about and jump with a huge variety of people at a huge variety of dropzones is what makes this sport incredible. In my <7 years in the sport I've been at 25+ dropzones in three countries and 11 U.S. states so far. I've jumped with some amazing folks, including some truly world-class jumpers, just by being in the right place at the right time.

I realize, of course, that I'm fortunate enough to have a job that gives me enough flexibility/time off to travel (and that I can afford the plane tickets/hotel rooms/rental cars that enable me to do so conveniently and comfortably) but most people have at least a couple other DZs within a few hours' drive and it doesn't cost a lot to pile a few friends and a tent into a car for a weekend road trip to see the sights at another DZ.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

hey mate we have the same thing over the other side also. here in the UK / Europe were people we have pride but also some take it as far as being non welcoming to new jumpers which to be honest is stupid seeing they keep our sport growing I have created a new post for people like yourself that have to move dropzone out of choice or for fun it is called nomad skydivers i have only just finished it but it perhaps if some one is a member that comes from the area you are going to they can help.

hope this can help u out a little wakey ;)

ukwingsuiter.com how the english do it :D

I work at one dz but fun jump at another. It helps prevent priority conflicts. I've also probably changed home dz's 10-15 times due to relocations or dz closures. Every dz has a different "vibe" and style. Some are hardcore learning dz's (I.E. Freeflying, RW, Wingsuiting, etc.) while some are "So, what do you wanna do?" Some are fun, but I've also sat for hours waiting to get on airplane because tandems had priority. Go to the dropzone and see how they treat you. If your not happy vote with your feet!

Dropzones are cults. There is no other way to explain the time and money we spend there (ask any family member or whuffo friend). Inter-DZ politics starts at the top with natural business rivalry, but then the cult members get ahold of it and it gets crazy.
Skydivers the world over are cool and wherever you go you will meet great people, except those bastards just down the road. They suck!

Dropzones are cults. There is no other way to explain the time and money we spend there (ask any family member or whuffo friend). Inter-DZ politics starts at the top with natural business rivalry, but then the cult members get ahold of it and it gets crazy.
Skydivers the world over are cool and wherever you go you will meet great people, except those bastards just down the road. They suck!

:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I find my loyalties are geared more to the DZO than the DZ itself.

Pops almost got it right... I think our loyalties are to the friends we meet in this sport. I'm happy to say that over the years, many DZO's have made it to my list of friends. :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."