Brumby

RDS

want to know more about it

An RDS involves hooking your d-bag and pilot chute up to your slider instead of the top of the canopy. The line inside the d-bag is replaced with a lanyard a couple feet long that hooks to the back edge of your slider.

When you deploy, and the bag slips off the canopy, it and the PC trails from the slider and not the top of the canopy.

A full RDS has a removable slider which has a release (similar to the 3-ring release) at each corner of the slider, and a single handle to release all four corners at once. 'Cutting away' the slider leaves the big ring of the system around each riser, and allows you to reel in the D-bag and PC, and ball up the slider/d-bag/pc and stuff it down your shirt. Deployment system removed.

A partial RDS will use a standard non-removable slider, with the d-bag/PC lanyard attached to the back edge of the slider with a snap shackle (like an RSL) or other quick-release type buckle. Once the slider is down, you unhook the lanyard, reel in the d-bag and PC and stuff it down your shirt.

The advantage to the partial system is that it eliminates having to re-rig the removable slider after each jump, and the risk of one or more corners of the slider releasing during a deployment. The disadvatage is that you still have to collapse and stow your slider after you deal with your d-bag and PC. It's way faster in the air to pull the one handle, and have everything come off in one step.

I've got a UPT and a friend has the LookMa. Both seem to be good systems. LookMa has a few extra features (single point release, drawstrigs to collapse it if you don't want to remove it) but has smaller diameter rings, which is why I went with the UPT one. Both work great for freefall.
Brian

Why would I want the deployment system on my slider? what are the RDS advantages over an ordinary deployment system?

I only use it as a removable slider. When I pull my slider down it interferes with the camerabox on my helmet. I got stuck a couple of times with my camerabox in my slider. It also interferes with my vision. I could only turn my head 20 degrees to the left because I've got a side-mount.

A full RDS (deployment system on slider) is made for pro-swoopers who want to eliminate the drag that comes from the pilotchute, bridle and bag and swoop even further.
Blue skies!

I've got a UPT and a friend has the LookMa. Both seem to be good systems. LookMa has a few extra features (single point release, drawstrigs to collapse it if you don't want to remove it) but has smaller diameter rings, which is why I went with the UPT one. Both work great for freefall.

Hello Brian,

Interesting post. I haven't seen the UPT Removable Slider but have seen the one from PD on the Comp Velo. Why is it better to have a ring with a larger diameter?

I've got the RDS from LookMa with single-point release and collapse-strings. Haven't used the collapse-strings yet. I made about 20 jumps now on it and it really works perfect.

Maybe I'll use the collapse-strings on a training weekend with my team when we have little time between loads but hope to have enough time to pack the removable slider too. Really love flying my canopy with the slider removed.

Probably all the well known RDS-systems are a good purchase. It'll all depend on the extra features you want. I chose LookMa because they got the single-point release and the collpase-strings.

Just wondering what the real differences are and how this will work out.
Blue skies!

Hello Brian,

Interesting post. I haven't seen the UPT Removable Slider but have seen the one from PD on the Comp Velo. Why is it better to have a ring with a larger diameter?

I had issues where I'd get a stuck slider on almost every jump. The slightly larger diameter rings makes the slider come down faster, reducing my instances of a stuck slider.
Brian

Hello Brian,

I had issues where I'd get a stuck slider on almost every jump. The slightly larger diameter rings makes the slider come down faster, reducing my instances of a stuck slider.

For me it's the other way around. My slider comes down over the soft-links on half of my jumps. I wouldn't want bigger rings because than the slider would even come down easier :D.

What canopy are you jumping? I'm jumping it on a XF2 - 139.
Blue skies!

[
For me it's the other way around. My slider comes down over the soft-links on half of my jumps. I wouldn't want bigger rings because than the slider would even come down easier :D.

I incurred this problem at first, then I put on some of the little black riser hats that come with PD Slinks and it stopped that. I fly a Storm, and use the RDS because I get noticeable performance from pulling my slider down, and noticeable visibility from removing it altogether.
Brian

[

I incurred this problem at first, then I put on some of the little black riser hats that come with PD Slinks and it stopped that. I fly a Storm, and use the RDS because I get noticeable performance from pulling my slider down, and noticeable visibility from removing it altogether.

Thanks for the info. I know of the black riser hats and have a set of them too though I never used them. This would be a good option when the rings are larger.

The increase in visibility with a removable slider is also a reason why I bought one. I really love using it and don't care for the 2 minutes it'll cost to put the slider back on. It's all worth it. And under canopy it doesn't cost me more time to remove the slider than it does to collapse it, pull it down and try to get it under the skytie. I really didn't like the skytie.
Blue skies!