Mixoligist

Has DZ.com helped you learn anything you could not have learned at the DZ?

I know asking questions in person at your home DZ can be embarrassing and/or humiliating sometimes but,,,,, are there things you learned here you could not have learned at your DZ?

I'm just curious
Better you than me

I know asking questions in person at your home DZ can be embarrassing and/or humiliating sometimes but,,,,, are there things you learned here you could not have learned at your DZ?

I'm just curious

I voted yes, although I believe that if I asked the right question I probably could learn anything I need to know from my instructor. I jump at a smaller commercial dropzone so certain things that come up on dz.com or that you'd see at a larger sportie dropzone just don't come up there. And while there are a lot of experienced guys around my dz, I'd never have heard half the stories I read about in some of these threads (like scary stories from the old days) at my dz.

I'm just curious

Absolutely. You don't know what you don't know? I've seen several topics I wouldn't even have thought to ask about, posted here. Learn from others' mistakes? Yadda_yadda_yadda? There is a far larger pool of mistakes here, than @any single DZ.

DZ.com has helped me to know what I don't know and triggered me to think about things I might never have considered because I didn't know what I didn't know.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

not really because even if you bring up a good point, you are immediately shut down by people that have 10,000 posts and 300 jumps
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

Yes.
Mostly from guys and girls like billvon, davelepka etc.

Yes these are 2 of the good ones, I have learned alot from reading davelepka's post... Thanks Dave, I have also learned to ask my questions at the DZ. I am blessed to jump at a large DZ like Eloy

not really because even if you bring up a good point, you are immediately shut down by people that have 10,000 posts and 300 jumps

What about the pro-swoop competitor instructors who shut you down? Are they know nothings as well, just trying to hold your mad skillz back?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have learned things that I didn't learn at the DZ. If I had asked, or known to ask, I am sure I could have received the information. I have also learned things that I had to unlearn at the DZ. I still trust the gang at the DZ simply because I know them personally.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Lots.

I could probably have learned it at a DZ, but the beauty of dropzone.com is that it has the full variety of opinions on all topics - individual dropzones have only a limited pool of people to ask questions of.

Not necessarily always in an 'answers to questions' way: some of the long-running discussions between super-current, super-experienced people are really interesting no matter what your personal opinion may already be.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

DZ.com has helped me to know what I don't know and triggered me to think about things I might never have considered because I didn't know what I didn't know.

+100000000000000000000!!!!!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I'm just curious

You bet, if you are open enough, with a bit of intuition you can & will learn SOMETHING from anyone...sometimes it's "don't be THAT guy" ~ but I believe the helpful information greatly surpasses the bullshit, and I've learned from a lot of people, things I wouldn't have if not for this resource.

Also, I think just being exposed to some of the discussions going on keeps things you may already know - but not otherwise tend think about, fresh in your mind.

This site is a fantastic learning tool if you know how to use it, as well as a 'social network' that's allowed me to meet and jump with a lot of people I might not otherwise have known without it.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yes.
Mostly from guys and girls like billvon, davelepka etc.

+1
I learned most of the "modern" stuff.
We mostly have instructors that can pass knowledge on history. New stuf (from 80`s up to now :P) not so much. [:/]
So thanks people on dz.com.
dudeist skydiver #42

I learn things all the time from DZ.COM. Granted, I have opinions of my own, but when I read about different techniques, styles, and things that are new, I evaluate the information for something useful. This forum provides access to opinions and styles that may not be mainstream but may be the next hot thing in the skydiving.

Good grief, this place is chock full of information. Sometimes it seems overwhelming. Information about equipment, EPs, landings, canopy flying, techniques and tips, etc. And as NWFlyer said, a lot of it is learning about things I never knew were important. As a student, some stuff is immediately helpful, some I know I can’t deal with now (but I need to, once I get other things down) or don’t yet have the knowledge base to understand right now, some is just helping me understand the importance and/or logic/rationale for things that we are drilled on (or just told to do). Sometimes the discussions threads are better than the canned tutorials on some topics, because the arguments back and forth really lay bare the all the strengths and weaknesses. And some of the best stuff I’ve found in the strangest places: an argument over TI landings led me to a great thread that described the differences between flat turns, brake turns, and flare turns. I can understand that for those that know a lot and have been around a long time that maybe it’s the same old same old, but for someone essentially new to the sport, this place is a gold mine of information.

I learn stuff all the time from dz.com, sometimes that stuff is about skydiving. :D

Seriously though, I have learned and continue to learn a lot from this site. If it were my site, I'd do things a little differently but is isn't so I try to suppress my irritation as much as I can.