clemsonbelle425

Which freefall exit should I choose?

Which exit do you think is the easiest for a newbie skydiver on a first freefall exit alone? I am exiting out of a Cessna. I have done many static lines. Pretty good at hanging by the strut and letting go. Slipped a couple of times before on my static lines but it has been a while. Probably done about 12 static lines. 2 slips, 10 solid. Last exit with AFF instructor. I stood with one foot on the step and pushed back off. Only done that one once. Which one do you believe is easier for my first freefall from 9500? My instructor is letting me choose which way I want to exit. Which would ya'll recommend? As you can tell, I am nervous and excited about it! :)

>My instructor is letting me choose which way I want to exit.

If he's telling you that, it's probably because he has seen you exit several times and is confident in your abilities to do either of the exits. I'd go with the one you've had the most success with.

>My instructor is letting me choose which way I want to exit.

If he's telling you that, it's probably because he has seen you exit several times and is confident in your abilities to do either of the exits. I'd go with the one you've had the most success with.

Or it could be just the opposite:

JM: Which exit are you most comfortable with?
Student: Diving exit
JM: OK, then we'll do a poised exit.

(The above did not happen to me 3 times in my student progression.)
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

you mention. that you have exited, "hanging by the strut", and "letting go"...

were both your legs "dangling in the breeze" on those exits??? or where you doing a "poised exit" wherein your left foot is standing on the STEP???

Nothing builds confidence, imo, like a strong and solid Climb out, to a poised exit position on a cessna.
More people should have the chance to do just That..;) early in their jumping careers..B|
Hands and arms strong on the strut,, with fingers rolled over the front edge.. IF you can hold on while your legs are both blowing in the wind... then you can surely hold on while perched on one leg...
The key??? keeping your weight forward, and leaving with your legs First... and your hands second.... you're nearly IN the arch position, as you exit....
Should not wanna really be " pushing off, backwards"...i.e your hands leaving the plane, and THEN your foot....[:/] weight forward, strong leg action to "hop" up and out, and then press the strut away...

Look UP and make sure that you get a great view of the plane, as you go....that should put you into a good exit position..and chances are, that the smiling face you see, diving towards you,,,, will be that of your Instructor...

have fun, enjoy the jump. little by little you will learn a variety of exit techniques, from your various instructors....
jmy

JM: Which exit are you most comfortable with?
Student: Diving exit
JM: OK, then we'll do a poised exit.

(The above did not happen to me 3 times in my student progression.)

hahha..thats exactly what I did yesterday with a guy on his 20something jump. :D
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

I practiced the poised exit like the one you did with a foot on the step and one trailing for my first 20 solo dives then started trying ride the slide and diving exits. Make sure you are set up for the launch, the last thing you need is a bad exit or to hit your leg. Balance, timing, presentation.

First solo freefall?

Stick with what's easiest so far with you. Plus the hanging exit makes freefall stability easier to achieve when it is new to you.

(Not quite sure of your situation, given that you list 20 jumps, 12ish static lines, AFF instructor supervising. In any case, sounds like a big step forward.)

Later when you have a jump where the freefall part is less of a big step, then add to the challenge by refining the other exit. Most Cessna jumps end up being from the step anyway.

Thanks for ya'll's help! Yeah, I'm a unique skydiving student. : ) Started out in static line progression then once I passed all of my PRCP's, was scared to do my first clear & pull. I switched to AFF which gave me the confidence in freefall and now I am breezing through. : ) I will probably hang from the strut of the C-182 with my feet dangling and exit that way since I have done that the most and am most comfortable with it. I don't know the technical term for that position. Still learning all the skydiving lingo. : ) I agree that it is easiest to get in the stable position that way. So excited to do it! Thank ya'll for your help! Have fun flying! : )

Clemson.... Just a little side note: while your still new, get into as many different exit styles as you can. Once you get really comfortable with one you send to only use that particular style and it makes jumping with others a bit of a chore. I stuck with the dives for a long time while in the civilian side of jumping then when i started military free fall poised was the preferred method alot of times especially from helicopters..... what im saying is to try not to stick to one style all the time. mix it up a bit and expand your knowledge base

... I will probably hang from the strut of the C-182 with my feet dangling and exit that way since I have done that the most and am most comfortable with it. I don't know the technical term for that position...

It's called "Hanging From the Strut" ;)

(Sung to the melody of "The Farmer in the Dell")

Hanging from the strut,
Hanging from the strut,
They'll have to land this plane with me
Hanging from the strut.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo