tristansdad

Jump 313

You chopped at 1000, or you were under reserve at 1000? If you chopped at 1000, why the delay?:)

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

First cutaway under a rapidly spinning main because the toggle was stowed wrong(not by me). I chopped right at a grand. It only makes me love the sport even more. Is that weird?

your rig or a rental rig?
Scars remind us that the past is real

It was my own rig. I recovered all my gear and did six jumps the next day. I’ll try and post the video in its entirety. It’s going to be long so bear with me. The toggle was stowed upside down and it caused the break line to get hung up on some stitching putting me in a fast left hand spin. It’s plane as day on the video but I didn’t know what happened until my rigger recovered it. Should I notify the manufacturer of this issue because I would hate to have this happen to someone else causing them to get seriously hurt or even killed.

Oh and yes I know now that I waited way to long before cutting away. I was very lucky. It wont happen again.

I'm not really sure, but I would venture to say packer error? The individual who stowed them is fairly new and isnt perfect? I'm not sure where youre going with this. Am I under investigation?:D

Lesson for all jumpers using packers. Stow your brakes!

Not only will it result in a faster pack job - you make sure they are set correctly.
Scars remind us that the past is real

Lesson for all jumpers using packers. Stow your brakes!

Not only will it result in a faster pack job - you make sure they are set correctly.

Agreed.

I would take this a bit further. There are FOUR key things for the jumper to do before leaving a rig with a paid packer. Each of the first three tasks REALLY need to be done right, each is easy, and if all of them are done, the opportunity for the packer to make a serious screw up is diminished substantially. Plus, as you said, it speeds up the packer.

The first three tasks are:

1. Set the brakes.
2. UNcollapse the slider.
3. Cock the pilot chute.

There is a fourth task which isn't about the mechanics of the pack job, but which can make everyone's life SO much easier:

4. Tell the packer WHEN you need the rig.

If we all do this, it makes it much easier for the packers to sequence the rigs such that each rig is ready when needed.

Of course, there will be rigs for which some of these steps may not be relevant... such as a student rig with a NON-collapsible pilot chute.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!