jmar595

STUPID WIND!!!!!:(

Spent the day at the DZ watching other people have fun wishing for the wind to die a bit. Have to wait another 5 days! Boo on this, hope the weather cooperates next weekend, I am off both days and plan to spend as much time as I can jumping both of them.

I know the feeling buddy. Work and weather didn't cooperate for about 2 months for me. Everytime I had off the winds were killer. I was able to make my check dive last weekend and it was great. Now I just have to send off the paper work and now I can, (but won't jump) in any wind conditions :)

There is always next weekend!

Hey kid..... Always better to be down here wishing your up there then up there wishing your down here.....

+1

There are some times when the DZ will even put license limits on the winds but don't count on it.

It's FAR better to sit back and watch the carnage than to be the show!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

It's FAR better to sit back and watch the carnage than to be the show!

Amen to that! I was "the show" last October and just got back from a 5 1/2 month layoff because of it (4 of that was choosing to be very conservative on the physical recovery, and the last 1 1/2 months have been more due to timing & weather).

And even though it was my first day back, I chose to sit down after one jump because the winds were high/gusty above my personal comfort zone. Even with almost 800 jumps, if the students get put on a wind hold, that's a clue for me to give it some serious consideration, too. There's always another day to jump.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

High/gusty wind has great potential to kill you. Last year high/gusty winds killed nearly 1/3 of the jumpers in the USA who died in canopy related incidents. Far more common is wind related injury.... A "minor" injury can still cost a lot and keep you grounded for a LONG TIME.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

A "minor" injury can still cost a lot and keep you grounded for a LONG TIME.

Amen! In October when I came back to the DZ from the ER after x-rays with a boot and crutches, I was telling everyone "nothing's broken, just soft tissue damage." The common reaction was "well, that could be good ... or not." Soft tissue injuries can be worse than clean breaks. (And at the time the only injury that had been diagnosed was the sprain in my left ankle - I didn't figure out till a few days later that I'd also torn my MCL in my right knee). Neither injury required surgery, and I still spent 4 months on physical therapy till I felt like I had the strength and stability in both legs to be able to jump again without risking re-injury.

Winds were high when I went up. They were high and gusty by the time I landed. I got bit, fortunately only with a "minor" injury (and great timing as the winter weather pretty well sucked anyway). Still, coming in to land and seeing the wind socks with hard-ons in several different directions was not a good feeling. Would have much rather been on the ground watching from that angle instead.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Agree!! This Saturday I had 3 jumps with 5 landings due to Mr. Wind. Thought I could handle what I assessed to be a 17mph wind (appears i was inaccurate in my assessment. NOTE: know what each windsock is actually rated for) Had a great both feet down landing, then a nice 15' launch back up with another nice both feet down landing then came the real fun part a nice 30' ride across the grass through the asphalt taxiway and back into the grass. :S

Luckily only damage to me was my pride, but my gear took a beating. Right leg strap ripped to shreds, burn marks on my right flaps of my container, tore a hole through my reserve portion of the container and ripped my reserve enough that it needs 3 patches, my jumpsuit has a nice section of small and large holes and my pants underneath have some nice small holes and road rash burns. (note jumpsuit was just purchased in january..argghh!!)

I have grounded myself (well my gear did a good job of doing this for me), set new wind limitations for myself and decided I need to attend another canopy course so to try to not repeat my VERY EXPENSIVE mistake in the future. I'm super excited that a doctor visit wasnt required!!

So new jumper Please dont learn this lesson the hard way. IT IS MUCH BETTER TO DOWN HERE WISHING YOU WERE UP THERE THAN UP THERE WISHING YOU ON THE GROUND.

Good luck on your progression!!

THRIVING IN MY DASH!!

So new jumper Please dont learn this lesson the hard way. IT IS MUCH BETTER TO DOWN HERE WISHING YOU WERE UP THERE THAN UP THERE WISHING YOU ON THE GROUND.

I've always thought that this was a better way to express it:

It is much better to be down here wishing you were up there than to be up there one second and unexpectedly smashed into "down here" the next.
Owned by Remi #?

I have no desire to jump in high winds and I'm on board with being down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here etc.

But if the weekend winds around Eagle Lake, TX would like to give it a rest for a month or two so I can get jumps 2 - 25 completed that would be very much appreciated - thanks in advance :P

But if the weekend winds around Eagle Lake, TX would like to give it a rest for a month or two so I can get jumps 2 - 25 completed that would be very much appreciated - thanks in advance

1. get on road to dz
2. Stop at beer store on the way
3. get to dz check in
4. Manifest
5. check winds
6. if winds good, jump (if winds no good see #7)
7. If winds no good... get beer and head to pea pit, kneel down, open beers and pray to wind gods.....
8. Repeat number 7 as needed!
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Yep. This weekend will be another one of those hoping to be up ones. I hope the weather goes well for you also. I hope to get as many jumps as I can this weekend too. Will jump both days if possible.Blue skies with good winds everyone!

The forecast gets more windy every time I check so I'm pretty sure there'll be no AFF progress this weekend.

I'm getting more and more mentally prepared for cranking out the jumps at the next opportunity though.

We'll get there :)

Well our forecast is rain... :( For this weekend..

Yeah, ours is not even showing sun anymore - just the word WINDY in italics LOL

I knew I wasn't going to get to jump, but I am hoping to get the GF hooked with a tandem jump.

Good luck :)

I've sown the seed with mine but she's not coming across very keen.

I'm sure if she sees the tandems landing she'll give it a go but if not, I'm hoping to at least get her to ride up and down in the plane one day once I'm licensed.

I appreciate it's not everyones bag so after months of deliberation I've decided even if she doesn't jump, I'll still love her :P