Gators1240

DZ Manifesting/Tracking software

I searched the threads and found that jump run seems to be the premier manifesting software to date. I dabble in some programming myself and was thinking of creating a complete dz software suite. For all of you DZO's out there, what functionality/features don't you currently have that you would like to see in a program like this?

Now before I get flamed for this I am not planning on selling or even distributing this its just a side project that I am doing to keep up on my programming skills and it's a good way for me to learn uspa requirements even more (I am planning on tracking user accounts for number of jumps, license requirements, etc...). I may give this program away eventually if it turns out that well but like I said I have no intentions of trying to sell this at any point.

It is not an easy task. I have been working on a custom package for a DZ for over a year, off and on... There is TONS of logic that goes into the reservations of tandems, AFF, coaching, etc that pushed my knowledge of SQL. I thought it would be easy after writing an entire accounting/CRM/QC/Document Management package for another large business.

You might do some research on the currently available software packages to see if they are able to create files that can be imported into QuickBooks or Quicken, and import equivalent files.

(Disclaimer: I have used manifest programs only superficially, but have used Quickbooks for my business, and have found it to have everything a business should need, including files that can be sent to accountants with their satisfaction as the result.)

It seems to me that trying to include all of the accounting functions in a manifest program is trying to re-invent the wheel, and may not give an accountant what they need in the long run.

A manifestor needs a manifest program to help them juggle people and loads, but for invoicing, crediting, etc, DZ management needs an accounting program.

There can be some complicated situations of course, but you could design for the "average" DZ without all of those possible situations. For example, linking 4 team members together to manifest their 4-way team as a group is nice, but not used by most DZ's.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong or being naive, but it seems that once a load has gone and you know what you are charging each person on the load, an accounting software package could do the job.

Well I wasn't sure about the accounting side of that. I kinda figured the same that it would be better to use something like quicken for that. One of the biggest things I had thought about other than the actual manifesting was tracking personal record. Number of jumps, jumps at that specific dz, currency, etc...

Some DZ software will let you view your logbook online of all the jumps made at that DZ, show you the price per jump and any income you made plus your current balance on account. Thats rolled right into the same package that will let you self manifest via touch screen systems/RFID cards and view the load calls over the web, on your phone or on TV screens around the DZ. It also has all your waiver details like the emergency contact info, email address and phone number listed so you can update it on your own via your online profile. It also lets you add funds to your account via credit card prior to showing up at the DZ.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

One feature i would like is a way to export and inport my personal info.
Create a file with my name, address, phone, email, licensenumber, ICE phone and all that. And let me export it to a USBmemory.
So when i visit a new DZ i dont have to spend 10 minutes of my and the manifestors time to write all that info again.

I know this is more or less impossible because not all DZs have the same software, but if one standard filestructure could be made i guess its possible.

I think you'll have a hard time coming close to what I've put together at www.RealDropzone.com, I just came back from an installation at Skydive Hawaii and I'm rolling out a new version at Skydive Chicago this week. The software is the only product out there that considers BOTH manifesting and a RESERVATION system around tandems as a single solution, both online and run locally at the dropzone.

If you *really* want to put time into a solution, I would be happy to work with you to identify needs that RealDropzone does not yet cover, and help to integrate the product with your new ideas.

How are you with objective C? I am considering a native iPhone application that jumpers can use to manifest themselves... If you want to turn this into more than just a hobby, I can also put you in touch with DZOs who have asked me for more but whome I have not been able to deliver a product at the desired price range, what are your specific ideas and what development platform are you looking to solve these problems with?
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

The software is the only product out there that considers BOTH manifesting and a RESERVATION system around tandems as a single solution, both online and run locally at the dropzone.

I know one other DZ that is using a different solution that does full manifesting and reservations online for tandems and experienced jumpers also. It allows jumpers to check on on touch screens and see their entire logbook over the web. It also allows adding of money to their accounts right from home if they want to do that. The thin version of it is free for smaller DZ's to use also:http://www.dz-manager.com/Pages/Default.aspx
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The software is the only product out there that considers BOTH manifesting and a RESERVATION system around tandems as a single solution, both online and run locally at the dropzone.

Mr17Hz, I beg your pardon, but that is just not true. As others have pointed out, DZ-Manager does exactly the same thing.

But while we are speaking of features that distinguish one manifesting solution from the other, DZ-Manager allows:
- skydivers to manifest themselves using chip cards (POS-Mode - named ‘Fastslots’ at one customer’s dz)
- skydivers to recharge their account using a credit card on a web site
- all drop zones to use an enterprise drop zone manifesting solution for free
- skydivers to view their “logbook” and edit data like their address themselves
Just to name some ...

And there will be a lot more in the future (mobile apps for different phones, hosting solutions, online manifesting, team functions …)

But back to the topic of this thread:
Gators1240, I think you will have to invest a lot of time writing a full grown manifesting solution. We have been working on DZ-Manager for over 5 years and we are rolling out the software at new drop zones with an average rate of 1 drop zone per month. However the feature wish list has never shortened in those years. With every new customer we get new perspectives and as a result we keep extending DZ-Manager. Sometimes customers pay for it; sometime we do it for free.

However if you are writing your software for one single drop zone you will probably come up with the perfect solution for them. Because then you will match their workflow perfectly and no other software will be able to compete with that.

And that is also one of the main differences between DZ-Manager and the above mentioned software. The latter one has been written for a single drop zone as an individual solution to meet their special needs. DZ-Manager has been designed as standard software for different drop zones from the beginning. As a result DZ-Manager runs on over 70 drop zones, mainly because it can be adjusted to different work flows. The other product is being worked on for years but has just being installed on its second drop zone. And the reason for that is: it might be the perfect software for the drop zone it was written for in the first place. But it is cumbersome for other drop zones because they are forced to completely adjust their workflow (according to people who saw the software but in the end chose DZ-Manager).

If you want to start from scratch nevertheless you are welcome to contact us so we can give you some inside information on the pro’s and con’s working for the skydiving industry (mostly pro’s :) ) After all there is nothing wrong with some fair competition.

But you are also very welcome to join our network of partners. We always need people rolling out DZ-Manager at new drop zones or touring the country doing demos. One of our partners is looking into writing an Android app and we are searching for someone to write an iPhone app. We planned to write a Windows Phone 7 app ourselves but would love to outsource that work as well.

Blue skies

Olly

P.S.:

I missed that part of software development on "Writing sexy apps..." :)

Maybe it just my opinion as a software developer, but I do believe that good software can be sexy :P
mySkydive - The new German portal for skydivers
DZ-Manager - The sexy manifesting software

Olly,

I think this thread has kind of gone away from what I originally intended it to be. I have no desire to create a whole software suite and try to market it to any dropzones at all. I am not a professional software developer, I simply do it as a hobby. While I could potentially write something like this and eventually market it, I simply dont have the time required to design, code, market and install/implement it myself.

I was really just thinking of ideas and what going to start writing one as a fun little side project to help improve my design/coding skills and was just curious what was already out there and what had not been done.

As far as joining your network of partners, I would love to help out with what I can. If you guys need anything feel free to contact me.

Gators,
You may want to seriously consider working with Olly as part of the DZ-manager team. If you want to flex your design/coding skills, you sure could do that by installing the system at a new DZ.

He's got a very functional product, but every now and then, there is a hiccup that needs a programmer's touch to fix.

I'm not sure what your goals are beyond what you stated, but it might be worth exploring.

I was really just thinking of ideas and what going to start writing one as a fun little side project to help improve my design/coding skills and was just curious what was already out there and what had not been done.

Hardest part about programming... figuring out WHAT you want it to do.

Second hardest part... making the computer understand your intent :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I was looking at some old threads, but for future reference, www.DZ-manager.com (Olly) can be reached at [email protected].

We are also rolling out DZ-Manager at our DZ (2 grand caravans, 35k jumps a year) and it's the first time users are excited about a change in their software! ;-) (we've been using Jumprun (4.0, 4.2 and 5.0) since 1998)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...