Jbag

What are you doing with your argus?

"worthless", "paperweight", bla bla bla...

You guys realize the issue is just with the cutter, right? The cutter is not manufactured by Aviacom - they purchase them from another company. There are lots of makes and models of cutters on the market - if Aviacom and the cutter manufacturer cannot sort out the problem with these cutters, they can easily switch to a different model, or even a different manufacturer. Cutters are easily replaced in the field.

Ah, screw it - I'm with DeNReN - I'll give ya $50 for it!
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Well, seeing as UPT hasn't banned them YET (may be changing in the very near future according to an anonymous informant) I'll leave it in my rig.

If they tell me to pull it, I will... perk of being your own rigger.

I'm sure they'll work out the cutter issue, maybe design one more like the CYPRES version and instead of a cylindrical cutter, put a single blade on it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm sure they'll work out the cutter issue, maybe design one more like the CYPRES version and instead of a cylindrical cutter, put a single blade on it.

I have a better idea. Make the closing loop out of det cord, and replace the cutter with a detonator. This will also eliminate the problem of container locks with too-long closing loops and below-the-freebag cutters! ;)

I have a better idea. Make the closing loop out of det cord, and replace the cutter with a detonator. This will also eliminate the problem of container locks with too-long closing loops and below-the-freebag cutters! ;)

We would need to make the grommets bigger, and have you ever tried to fingertrap det cord? It's not NEARLY as easy as the CYPRES loop material. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

We would need to make the grommets bigger, and have you ever tried to fingertrap det cord? It's not NEARLY as easy as the CYPRES loop material. :P

I'm sure it could be manufactured in a smaller diameter, and in small pieces with a hole through one end. :P

I'm sure it could be manufactured in a smaller diameter, and in small pieces with a hole through one end. :P

Then there's the issue of it blowing your reserve up... possibly your back as well.

Other than that, great idea! :P

That's got to suck. I have an Argus too (DOM 2009) but in a Javelin (no sure if they will kick the Argus out too). I am wondering what the hell to do:

Let's see :S:

1) Sell it before it starts loosing value and buy a
Vigil or a Cypress.
2) Keep it and hope problems sort out (cutters
replaced ...blah...blah) or let it loose value (in
case things really go bad) and throw it away.

I am curious to see what happens...

That's got to suck. I have an Argus too (DOM 2009) but in a Javelin (no sure if they will kick the Argus out too).

The already have. There is a thread in Gear & Rigging with a link to the service bulletin.

That is what I will be doing with my two (also in Javelins). Frankly, I can't see the issue not getting sorted out. Think about it - if it was your company, would you fix it so you can keep selling products and making money, or just throw in the towel and close the doors?

That's got to suck. I have an Argus too (DOM 2009) but in a Javelin (no sure if they will kick the Argus out too). I am wondering what the hell to do:

Let's see :S:

1) Sell it before it starts loosing value and buy a
Vigil or a Cypress.

I am curious to see what happens...

I've got some bad news for you.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4082911;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I guess it officially sucks for me too. Javelin service bulletin bans Argus AAD from all their containers/harness until Argus shows an understanding of the root cause of the problem and a viable solution. Well I guess I can do a practive cut-away and reserve pull in my apartment...>:(

Don't worry, Jav's aren't the only ones... and 1 confirmed, another in the works, and another one mentioned that it may be coming out in the next few days.

I guess I'll go get my kit out of the truck and pull my Argus today or tomorrow, as I am fairly confident come Saturday, they'll be banned in my rig too.

"worthless", "paperweight", bla bla bla...

You guys realize the issue is just with the cutter, right? The cutter is not manufactured by Aviacom - they purchase them from another company. There are lots of makes and models of cutters on the market - if Aviacom and the cutter manufacturer cannot sort out the problem with these cutters, they can easily switch to a different model, or even a different manufacturer. Cutters are easily replaced in the field.

I agree, it is just the cutter, it could be much worse in terms of the scope of a fix. If it turns out that a different cutter design is the final outcome (replacement of all cutters), either they will require their customers to buy a new cutter (very bad for customer good will), or the company takes a huge financial hit. Customer good will for the Cypres took a hit when they announced the limited lifetime after they were introduced to the market (it did happen after, didn't it?)

What was supposed to be the advantage of a cylindrical cutter? I would have thought that the designers would have had a tough time justifying a new design for the cutter.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Ah, screw it - I'm with DeNReN - I'll give ya $50 for it!

$51

stop ruining my cheap AAD buying spree geek boy ;)

With a bit of fear mongering, I'm sure we can get enough AADs for both of us.

Geek boy? You're one to talk! :P:D Have you jumped that sheep costume yet? The chicken costume doesn't count!

Cylindrical was to may it so that if the cutter was installed at a 90 degree angle on accident by the maker it would still cut the loop is how I had it explained to me by a few people.

I hope Argus pays for the cost but no matter what it might be several months until they have made enough replacement cutters to meet the demand for all the units in the field if its determined to replace all the cutters.

Per one of the dealers Airtec and their CYPRES units are already on backorder for 1-2 week prior to the announcements this week.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com