skyflower_bloom

travel with rig AND toddler? logistics? mailing rig to/from destination?

I use to use a kid leash. Worked great. I tied one end to my upper arm or belt and gave him the other end. Told him to hang on or I'd get lost. He still keeps track of me 29 years later.

leashes are for dogs and people with weird fetishes, not kids.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

I use to use a kid leash. Worked great. I tied one end to my upper arm or belt and gave him the other end. Told him to hang on or I'd get lost. He still keeps track of me 29 years later.

leashes are for dogs and people with weird fetishes, not kids

:D:D You need to read Wildman's post a little closer. ;)

Don't know about OP, but I'll ask you if you were a solo adult traveling with child(ren) on a skydiving vacation?

Yes, somewhat... JohnMitchell was flying in the cockpit in the jumpseat. I had all 4 kids in the back with me in economy seating. I'd say I was pretty much on my own with them. ;) Does it count if we were going to visit family and happen to take our rigs to use while we were there? Didn't actually take the kids out to the DZ then.

You are one tough cookie.

Does it count? Sure. But still, you had another adult with you when you deplaned.

I still don't know if the OP is a solo adult on the trip.

I would never say it is impossible, but with all the stops she mentioned, it does seem a bit like she's stacking the deck against herself.

Me, I'd never try such a thing, but I admit I am not the best parent to start with. So I'd naturally shy away from it in the first place.

Seems to me that a lot depends on how much family is around at each destination.

Any sort of mishap at the dz will quickly become a nightmare if her support is thin on that leg.

Wow this thread exploded lol.

This will be my fourth time flying similar trips (mid-west to west coast) with my son in the past 18 months. Just new factor of bringing the rig, and of course, of combining the jump trip with the family trip since we'll already be on the other side of the country and schedule works out..

He's now finally at 2 where he is old enough to use some of V's (awesome- thanks!) ideas, but in the past (yes, last trip was a skydiving trip, same flight duration, just did not own a rig then) we got one ticket and he was on my lap- still nursing, so he nursed a lot, slept a lot (we coordinate the flight times as much as possible for naps for him or nighttime/early morning sleep)

I also took a trip when he was a younger toddler, perhaps 1 1/2, to Oregon for 3 weeks with him (planned for two and was going so well we extended it another week).

No, I have no family there (I guess I have family, distant but that I could call in an emergency) in LA and in San Fran, but also family in mid-west would be willing and immediately fly out if there were a mishap at the dz-- which is a good point. I do always provide contact and insurance info to everyone at home and at the dz and trust the sitter/nanny with him until family arrived if I were injured, travel with my power of attorney for healthcare and living will, etc. but try not to dwell on it as long as everyone is informed and knows the plan should it come to that..

But, not trying to be cocky, I think I am fairly competent as a parent and know my kiddo's needs, and am not worried about the trip in general, just safely getting lots of precious cargo to far away places and such logistics!

Kiddo does well on flights, I've gotten nothing but compliments and always am cooperative w/ flight attendants who in turn will give us the aisle seats for easy access for him to take a jaunt when needed if they can do so (or other passengers are often willing to switch), or an extra seat when we would buy one ticket (now at over age 2, we'll have two seats anyway- definitely a necessity anyways, age or no, because space-wise, even on my lap he sticks slightly into the other seat ("the middle zone") and that's never fun for the other person... lol) But I have booked all seats next to each other and by the aisle where I had a choice at least, etc.

Basically this is a skydiving trip where we have a full time nanny each day at a location away from the dz while I am jumping, for a week. At my jump numbers I was a bit overwhelmed by my first jump trip. But going back to the same place I feel pretty safe since, while my currency is not up to par, I have gotten to know folks and coaches out there, and the lz is wide open so I know I can always land far out and walk back to avoid traffic, etc. In general I kinda would advise against jump trips as a new A license holder lol, but I couldn't wait with WI winter so I did it in November and now that I am comfy at Elsinore, and with our nanny there, it makes sense to me..

But yes-- I would 100% like to have my rig with me. I do though know Elsinore's rental gear and policies and they do have gear that fits me, but I really want my own along.

Instead of then flying back, we are taking two additional weeks of family (as in, my son and I, being a family unit, not "to visit extended family," trips, without sitters but with friends and activities planned in other cities but also playing it by ear. It's not new to us and i am comfortable w/ most aspects and with solo travel with a young one, and have been two two of the three cities on our itinerary with kiddo for extended trips-- just the whole toddler plus rig thing with airport travel had me a bit baffled.

Yeah, V and others, it makes sense to buy certain things- diapers, stroller, etc. on the cheap there. Thanks! in the past I have always had kiddo in the Ergo pack ON me and the stroller is useful not for him in the airport, but rather, for baggage- instead of paying for one of those dumb carts for luggage haha... that said, you are right V-- now that he is going to be over 2 and is growing up fast, making him/allowing him to walk will help him feel in control, and he could indeed wear his own carry-on back-pack, and that will help wear him out for the plane ride (though I'll certainly bring the Ergo sling for if he IS sleepy or I need more hands).

I like the idea of special toys- last time around that was something I definitely made note of as far as needing to do next time- toys that are special for on the plane only.. i remember as a kid, for longer car rides, my mom would make us each (sibs and i) a special bag of snacks and toys we couldn't open except for the car ride and it always kept me occupied!

Idk about the leash/harness, have to think on that one, but if he has a harness backpack I can grab when needed that could work...

Thanks for the great feedback so far everyone, I really appreciate it!

Still deciding re: mailing the rig versus carry-on, but I do know I want it with me- week one is purely a skydiving vacation and he'll be with a full time nanny off the dz, plus I am dying to break in my new rig :) Though, maybe this weekend... it's warming up here in WI woohoo!

Anyways gotta finish reading through just wanted to reply to V in particular (thank you- sounds like you have BTDT-- times 4-- and you have my respect! Thanks for your willingness to take the time to offer ideas and suggestions) and to "reassure those who think this is a recipe for disaster that the only concern I have, having taken multiple 1.5 to 3 week long trips and similar flights with this same child, alone, without family, for jumping and non-jumping purposes both. My main concern is the logistics of all the stuff being transported and the safety of getting rig from pt A to pt B-- but of course, now that said kiddo is getting older, general toddler travel tips are more than welcomed as well!

Last time (Thanksgiving) was manageable, but he's getting more into tantrum zone, so we'll have to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best I guess. People have been surprisingly helpful and kind though-- offering to help carry things, complimenting the kiddo etc. I know before I had kids I would groan inside anytime I was seated next to someone with kids (and I LOVE kids! lol) so I always pre-emptively apologize but others have been very understanding and helpful of travel with a little one..

Hmm.. hope this addressed everything so far, I have a few more replies to read, but have gotten a lot of useful info so far and am glad to have a few weeks to plan etc! Thanks again all!

Oh and DSE/Andy-- that was a trash can, not a shipping crate- slightly more offensive lol. But, shhh, don't give him any ideas! No, he'll be the hotel with L :P
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Don't know about OP, but I'll ask you if you were a solo adult traveling with child(ren) on a skydiving vacation?

Yes, somewhat... JohnMitchell was flying in the cockpit in the jumpseat. I had all 4 kids in the back with me in economy seating. I'd say I was pretty much on my own with them. ;) Does it count if we were going to visit family and happen to take our rigs to use while we were there? Didn't actually take the kids out to the DZ then.

You are one tough cookie.

Does it count? Sure. But still, you had another adult with you when you deplaned.

I still don't know if the OP is a solo adult on the trip.

I would never say it is impossible, but with all the stops she mentioned, it does seem a bit like she's stacking the deck against herself.

Me, I'd never try such a thing, but I admit I am not the best parent to start with. So I'd naturally shy away from it in the first place.

Seems to me that a lot depends on how much family is around at each destination.

Any sort of mishap at the dz will quickly become a nightmare if her support is thin on that leg.

Wow this thread exploded lol.

This will be my fourth time flying similar trips (mid-west to west coast) with my son in the past 18 months. Just new factor of bringing the rig, and of course, of combining the jump trip with the family trip since we'll already be on the other side of the country and schedule works out..

He's now finally at 2 where he is old enough to use some of V's (awesome- thanks!) ideas, but in the past (yes, last trip was a skydiving trip, same flight duration, just did not own a rig then) we got one ticket and he was on my lap- still nursing, so he nursed a lot, slept a lot (we coordinate the flight times as much as possible for naps for him or nighttime/early morning sleep)

I also took a trip when he was a younger toddler, perhaps 1 1/2, to Oregon for 3 weeks with him (planned for two and was going so well we extended it another week).

No, I have no family there (I guess I have family, distant but that I could call in an emergency) in LA and in San Fran, but also family in mid-west would be willing and immediately fly out if there were a mishap at the dz-- which is a good point. I do always provide contact and insurance info to everyone at home and at the dz and trust the sitter/nanny with him until family arrived if I were injured, travel with my power of attorney for healthcare and living will, etc. but try not to dwell on it as long as everyone is informed and knows the plan should it come to that..

But, not trying to be cocky, I think I am fairly competent as a parent and know my kiddo's needs, and am not worried about the trip in general, just safely getting lots of precious cargo to far away places and such logistics!

Kiddo does well on flights, I've gotten nothing but compliments and always am cooperative w/ flight attendants who in turn will give us the aisle seats for easy access for him to take a jaunt when needed if they can do so (or other passengers are often willing to switch), or an extra seat when we would buy one ticket (now at over age 2, we'll have two seats anyway- definitely a necessity anyways, age or no, because space-wise, even on my lap he sticks slightly into the other seat ("the middle zone") and that's never fun for the other person... lol) But I have booked all seats next to each other and by the aisle where I had a choice at least, etc.

Basically this is a skydiving trip where we have a full time nanny each day at a location away from the dz while I am jumping, for a week. At my jump numbers I was a bit overwhelmed by my first jump trip. But going back to the same place I feel pretty safe since, while my currency is not up to par, I have gotten to know folks and coaches out there, and the lz is wide open so I know I can always land far out and walk back to avoid traffic, etc. In general I kinda would advise against jump trips as a new A license holder lol, but I couldn't wait with WI winter so I did it in November and now that I am comfy at Elsinore, and with our nanny there, it makes sense to me..

But yes-- I would 100% like to have my rig with me. I do though know Elsinore's rental gear and policies and they do have gear that fits me, but I really want my own along.

Instead of then flying back, we are taking two additional weeks of family (as in, my son and I, being a family unit, not "to visit extended family," trips, without sitters but with friends and activities planned in other cities but also playing it by ear. It's not new to us and i am comfortable w/ most aspects and with solo travel with a young one, and have been two two of the three cities on our itinerary with kiddo for extended trips-- just the whole toddler plus rig thing with airport travel had me a bit baffled.

Yeah, V and others, it makes sense to buy certain things- diapers, stroller, etc. on the cheap there. Thanks! in the past I have always had kiddo in the Ergo pack ON me and the stroller is useful not for him in the airport, but rather, for baggage- instead of paying for one of those dumb carts for luggage haha... that said, you are right V-- now that he is going to be over 2 and is growing up fast, making him/allowing him to walk will help him feel in control, and he could indeed wear his own carry-on back-pack, and that will help wear him out for the plane ride (though I'll certainly bring the Ergo sling for if he IS sleepy or I need more hands).

I like the idea of special toys- last time around that was something I definitely made note of as far as needing to do next time- toys that are special for on the plane only.. i remember as a kid, for longer car rides, my mom would make us each (sibs and i) a special bag of snacks and toys we couldn't open except for the car ride and it always kept me occupied!

Idk about the leash/harness, have to think on that one, but if he has a harness backpack I can grab when needed that could work...

Thanks for the great feedback so far everyone, I really appreciate it!

Still deciding re: mailing the rig versus carry-on, but I do know I want it with me- week one is purely a skydiving vacation and he'll be with a full time nanny off the dz, plus I am dying to break in my new rig :) Though, maybe this weekend... it's warming up here in WI woohoo!

Anyways gotta finish reading through just wanted to reply to V in particular (thank you- sounds like you have BTDT-- times 4-- and you have my respect! Thanks for your willingness to take the time to offer ideas and suggestions) and to "reassure those who think this is a recipe for disaster that the only concern I have, having taken multiple 1.5 to 3 week long trips and similar flights with this same child, alone, without family, for jumping and non-jumping purposes both. My main concern is the logistics of all the stuff being transported and the safety of getting rig from pt A to pt B-- but of course, now that said kiddo is getting older, general toddler travel tips are more than welcomed as well!

Last time (Thanksgiving) was manageable, but he's getting more into tantrum zone, so we'll have to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best I guess. People have been surprisingly helpful and kind though-- offering to help carry things, complimenting the kiddo etc. I know before I had kids I would groan inside anytime I was seated next to someone with kids (and I LOVE kids! lol) so I always pre-emptively apologize but others have been very understanding and helpful of travel with a little one..

Hmm.. hope this addressed everything so far, I have a few more replies to read, but have gotten a lot of useful info so far and am glad to have a few weeks to plan etc! Thanks again all!

Oh and DSE/Andy-- that was a trash can, not a shipping crate- slightly more offensive lol. But, shhh, don't give him any ideas! No, he'll be the hotel with L :P

Go through many keyboards? Just askin'. :S
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

.........(and a couple extra to be safe...)Hmm.. hope this addressed everything so far, I have a few more replies to read, but have gotten a lot of useful info so far and am glad to have a few weeks to plan etc! Thanks again all!

She always posts this much.

If you think this is a lot, start exchanging PMs with her :)

Love ya Robyn! :P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

.........(and a couple extra to be safe...)Hmm.. hope this addressed everything so far, I have a few more replies to read, but have gotten a lot of useful info so far and am glad to have a few weeks to plan etc! Thanks again all!

She always posts this much.

If you think this is a lot, start exchanging PMs with her :)

Love ya Robyn! :P

You too Joe :)
And ya know, a few of your PMs have been longer than mine, methinks... :P:)

FWIW, I suspect that if a scientific study was conducted, the negative psychological issue with leashing a two year old are probably no worse than the negative issues of being two years old and being physically restrained on a parent's back.

Having raised four kids through that age, all of mine appreciated the extra freedom the leash gave them and absolutely loved the stuffed animal the harness was incorporated into. That's why I used them on my three youngest even though after burying my oldest my instinct was to physically hold on to them at all times. Sometimes you just have to realize the issues are in your head and not thiers.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

haha fair enough- not worried about negative psychological issues so much as that knowing my child he would lie limp and i'd have to drag him anyway lol.

anyways i am bringing the sling anyway so i can wear him if i need to but also got him his own lil backpack with a strap and caribeener (lol how do you spell that?)

oh and i shipped the rig out. dayum. 180 bucks for all my gear and rig/canopies etc. and insured to 7 grand. oh well, easier than hauling that shite through a zillion airports!!

thanks for all the ideas all :) see you next week in so-cal :P

I saw a pretty cool tool in Europe a couple weeks ago, it was a stroller/baggage dolly...two overhead sized suitcases fit side by side with the infant in a seat over them. Folded up and gate checked. A single mom was pushing it wearing and additional backpack...the two suitcase bags and stroller were gate checked and she just wandered in the AC holding the kid with in-flight needs stuffed in the backpack.

I was impressed, a small internationally traveling woman hauling lots of stuff AND a poop shootin' high volume bundle of 'joy' darn near effortlessly! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

haha fair enough- not worried about negative psychological issues so much as that knowing my child he would lie limp and i'd have to drag him anyway lol.

anyways i am bringing the sling anyway so i can wear him if i need to but also got him his own lil backpack with a strap and caribeener (lol how do you spell that?)

So you ARE bringing the kid? Cool. There is a sale on duct tape and Velcro at Home Depot. Andy and I will run over this evening to pick up enough capable of strapping a 2 year old to the ceiling.
oh and i shipped the rig out. dayum. 180 bucks for all my gear and rig/canopies etc. and insured to 7 grand. oh well, easier than hauling that shite through a zillion airports!!

thanks for all the ideas all :) see you next week in so-cal :P

So you ARE bringing the kid? Cool. There is a sale on duct tape and Velcro at Home Depot. Andy and I will run over this evening to pick up enough capable of strapping a 2 year old to the ceiling.

haha thanks DSE... but yeah, he'll be flying with me while the rig is brought by UPS as you suggested, should arrive friday, but kiddo won't really be brought to the dz so stand down w/ your tape haha. he is just flying with me to california and will be at the hotel when i am at the dz jumping, cause we combined a week jump trip with a 2 week family mom-son vacay and i can spend evenings with him that way, there is no one here i trust to leave a nursing child that age for that long anyways... :)
So, just don't tell Andy he's in town and we're good, oh and you still owe me that steak dinner :P

final update- so i shipped rig and gear out (thanks dse for the info, as well as all others for the travel aspects and suggestions), all went well.

was a little less meticulous with my planning on the other side of the jump trip (leaving elsinore and thinking i could get away with carrying on my rig etc. on instead of another UPS shipment home, since i wouldn't be there right away to sign for it etc.)

well, lots of kind people offered to help me juggle my crap, and security was wonderful (i guess they were training a new TSA person and it took the experienced person all of 2 minutes or less to explain, this is a sport parachute system, this is what you look for, and a smile and back in my possession. no issues with the cypres or anything)

i just wore it around and onto the plane and put it in the baggage compartment with handles secured, as i don't own a decent gear bag yet.

i did get a lighthearted comment from another pax that i was making him nervous with the parachute, but the stewardess was joking with me (i told her as much as i trusted them all, that i'd be ready just in case, and she could just give me a green light signal when it was time to prepare to exit the plane :) she was funny about it, in a good way)

i assume san diego int'l airport has plenty of experience with both elsinore and perris traveling jumpers, but i wasn't fully sure what to expect... yeah it was challenging shipping it there and then carrying it on the plane from then on, but i wore the kiddo in front pack, parachute on my back, and pushed everything else in the stroller which i then gate checked, like i said with help from caring strangers which was cool... (and checked two bags too LOL) so all was well but definitely overwhelming the second leg of the trip, when i had a whole extra bag of gear and the rig itself along with kiddo's stuff and our regular luggage...

conclusion-- doable, but definitely should have planned to ship the gear and rig both in AND out.

thanks again guys, and yeah, this time i had my nanny watch the kiddo at our hotel about 3 mi away which was more convenient for everyone than having him at the dz, i think it worked well.. thanks again mamas and papas and fellow traveling jumpers, the trip was a success and i am home in one piece now :)
blue ones as the season gets underway especially up north, but i'll be back to sunny so-cal as soon as i can, for sure!

peace,
R

:/ Nope, we missed each other by one weekend. I'm still not super comfortable coming to boogies/bigger events (it was Escape to Elsinore, yeah?) Would have been nice to meet though!! We'll get our chance to cross paths eventually!

I was there the week leading up to and through the weekend of the 13-14th(?).

What's your and Vskydiver's travel/jump agenda looking like this summer?

Elsinore's my home away from home but I could be persuaded to check out some other dzs too :P Thanks for all the great advice, the trip was tedious as I knew it would be but totally worth it! Anywhere in the Pacific Northwest is good by me :)
blue ones,
R