johncwms27

Considering getting my 'A License'

Hey everybody,

I'm new to this forum, so I guess I should introduce myself. My name's John and I'm from North Carolina. I've made 6 tandem jumps so far and I'm hooked. I'm seriously considering getting my 'A' license this summer, but first I wanted to get some advice from you guys.

I often work 50-60 hours/week at my job, and would only have time to skydive once or twice a month (on weekends). Do skydivers need to jump more often than this in order to maintain their skills? Should I be worried that I might forget certain safety procedures if I don't jump more than once or twice a month?

Also, I understand it costs ~ $2-3k to get your 'A license'. But once you're licensed, how much does it cost for each solo jump? (Assuming you don't have a rig). I assume you'll need to rent the gear, as well as pay for a spot in the aircraft. What's typically the total cost per jump?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Hey everybody,

I'm new to this forum, so I guess I should introduce myself. My name's John and I'm from North Carolina. I've made 6 tandem jumps so far and I'm hooked. I'm seriously considering getting my 'A' license this summer, but first I wanted to get some advice from you guys.

I often work 50-60 hours/week at my job, and would only have time to skydive once or twice a month (on weekends). Do skydivers need to jump more often than this in order to maintain their skills? Should I be worried that I might forget certain safety procedures if I don't jump more than once or twice a month?

Also, I understand it costs ~ $2-3k to get your 'A license'. But once you're licensed, how much does it cost for each solo jump? (Assuming you don't have a rig). I assume you'll need to rent the gear, as well as pay for a spot in the aircraft. What's typically the total cost per jump?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I usually jump every other weekend. Wish I could jump more often but life and finances dictate this. I usually squeeze in 5 or so jumps on the days I go, so I average 10 jumps a month.
You would probably progress faster if you could go every weekend, but theres nothing inherently unsafe in only going twice a month.
__

My mighty steed

Hum....if you can guess the weather and take a few days off from work it would be the best.

Due to finance I'm every other week end. So it's no big deal. It may actually make thigs better. It will keep you out of the DZ drama.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Hey everybody,

Welcome. Sounds like you've already invested quite a bit in your tandem jumps. Those jumps will count towards your 25 jump minimum to get your A-license...so that'll save a few bucks possibly...unless you need more than 25 to complete your license which does happen.

You'll maintain a faster learning curve with more frequent jumps, but that being said...there's nothing wrong with two times a month. We all have life that interferes with jumping. Just remember that after a small break, you have to readapt to the learning curve. And always review your emergeny procedures before every jump...a few times. It's just good practice.

The cost of jumps once you're at your A-license depends on your dropzone. My dropzone charges $25 per jump for fun jumpers. Sometimes they'll do a special. As far as rentals go, each jump w/rental gear is $40 plus a repack at the end of the day when you're done with the gear. If you can swing it, try to stash away some cash for a used rig. You'll find jumping a bit more enjoyable when you're jumping you're own gear and get really comfortable with it.

Good luck & welcome.

Shane

There's another thread floating around here re: the cost to get an A-license from 0 jumps and it ranges from $2400-2800 depending on a variety of factors. I know someone from the Farm piped in saying that they have a A-license package for $1900 or so but you'd most likely have to sacrifice something/one to the skygods for good weather and take a week off of work, otherwise doing only 1 jump a week will take you a while.

Just for reference, it's been 7 weeks (8 counting this weekend) since my FJC and I've gotten 6 jumps in total. 3 one day, 2 the next, and then 1 last weekend.

Good luck and even though I never did a tandem I can honestly say that solo is frickin awesome!

Like others have said it is very doable. You probably wont progress as fast (more jumps in shorter time = better proficiency/learning curve) but im not sure where in NC you are but I believe paraclete (wind tunnel) is up there somewhere. I would check that out as it will help you improve/maintain your skills if you cant jump as often

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm planning on taking 2-3 weeks off work this summer, and I plan on doing nothing but AFF training for those 2-3 weeks. So hopefully I can wrap up the AFF training quickly, and begin enjoying my solo jumps.

And I'll be training at Raeford Parachute Center in NC. They utilize the Paraclete wind tunnel during their training.

I'm a CPA by trade, so there are a few months of the year where I'm extremely busy, and may be too busy or stressed to think about jumping. I guess my only concern is that I might lose my skills if I go a month or two without jumping. Is this something I should be concerned about?

And does $40/jump (rental gear included) seem typical, based on everyone's personal experiences?

I'm a CPA by trade, so there are a few months of the year where I'm extremely busy, and may be too busy or stressed to think about jumping.

Just as a side note to that: I find the times when I'm extremely busy or stressed is when I think about jumping the most.

I'm a CPA by trade, so there are a few months of the year where I'm extremely busy, and may be too busy or stressed to think about jumping. I guess my only concern is that I might lose my skills if I go a month or two without jumping. Is this something I should be concerned about?

The answer is "It depends." When you're still a student, or freshly A-licensed, a few months can be more difficult. It's one of the reasons that currency recommendations from USPA will vary by your experience level. http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section5/tabid/168/Default.aspx#970

As a newer jumper, more than a few weeks would start the nerves back up again. Once I had a couple hundred jumps, 2-3 months off wasn't a huge deal nerves/skill-wise. I just came back after 5 1/2 months off because of an injury/weather (though I did have some wind tunnel time in there) and though I wondered how I'd feel back in the air, it was really no big thing at all. But that's partly because I have almost 800 jumps and did a ton of jumping last year, so I was very current.

So if your busy time is early next year (as I would guess based on the CPAs I know), hopefully by then you'll at least have your A license, maybe even a higher license, and can take a bit of time off without too much of a hiccup. Being near the tunnel is nice, too, because it's a lot easier to squeeze tunnel time into a tight schedule (as they operate more hours and aren't weather-dependent), so you can do that to keep yourself from getting too rusty.

And does $40/jump (rental gear included) seem typical, based on everyone's personal experiences?

Very reasonable price including rental.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

yes, if you pack for yourself. if not add another 5 or 6 bucks into it.

where i jump they offer a 50 dollar a day gear rental if you make 3 or more jumps (doesnt include lift ticket), if not it is 45(lift ticket, gear rental, pack job) per jump.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."