xxswaggxx

Torn between DZs

Frank,
I live, work and play at STF. I'm an AFFI here doing FJC and jumps with students.

As much as we would love to have you here, the recommendations for Z-hills are all good ones. I was raised in Tampa and Z-hills was my original home DZ back in the late 70's and is now my home-away-from-home.

Yes, our excellent AFF program is less expensive and we also throw in a Canopy Control course included in the A-license package.

We have people from all over the world coming in to do AFF here and then going back home to their local DZ.

However, there's a lot to be said for doing your training at home as has already been noted.

So, shooting myself in the foot, I'd recommend doing AFF at Z-hills and coming to visit us whenever you are in the area.

Looking forward to meeting you when you get here.

Welcome to the Big Blue Skies!

Andy
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

So, shooting myself in the foot, I'd recommend doing AFF at Z-hills and coming to visit us whenever you are in the area.

Looking forward to meeting you when you get here.

Welcome to the Big Blue Skies!

Andy

Thanks Andy, that means a lot to me coming from someone who stands to profit on the deal. Thank you..

On a side note, I have seen many of your posts in the last couple months I've been lurking. Its exactly that attitude that made STF appealing to me. And i plan on heading up there very soon..

...hopefully with my shiny new A license i got from z-hills...;)

My question is, if you had to pick one of these places to get you're A, which would you pick, and why?..

You are over thinking it.

Both DZ's are good places, both with good instructors (DeLand as well).

You live close to Zhills and that should really be the deciding factor. It is the DZ that will be "home" to you. People will get to know you and you will be a home grown student.

How long does it take for you to warm up to very new people with low numbers from other places?

Depends totally on you.
1. Are you a hot chick? Quick.
2. Are you a loud mouth? Long.
3. Do you listen to advice? Quick.
4. Do you argue? Long.
5. Are you outgoing? Quick
6. Do you wait for people to come to you? Long.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

It's not about where to get your A license; it's about where you're going to be jumping. Your home DZ.

It doesn't make sense to me that you would go 6 hours away to get your AFF training and then go back to SC.

The student program is about more than getting the jumps and progressing individually. It's about learning the people and the DZ and them learning about you. It's about making friends and building relationships.

Frankly, Z-Hills is as good as place as it gets so if you're going to have Skydive City as your home DZ then do your student training there. Saving a few dollars today just isn't a compelling reason for this to be a question or concern.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Frankly, Z-Hills is as good as place as it gets so if you're going to have Skydive City as your home DZ then do your student training there. Saving a few dollars today just isn't a compelling reason for this to be a question or concern.

the money thing was never an issue, however, it was worth noting..400 bucks is a nice hunk of cash..

but i do understand now that the student experience at my home DZ is worth more than 400 bucks...

besides, pops already shot himself in the foot over it..:P

is a bit cheaper than z-hills. (not a big deal, but worth noting) And, I have a place to stay near by for free so lodging isn't an issue.

My question is, if you had to pick one of these places to get you're A, which would you pick, and why?..

**apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

personaly mate i would go to all the dropzones near you and make as many friends and try all that way you have the best of both world's thats the way we roll B|[url http://www.nomadskydiving.com]
ukwingsuiter.com how the english do it :D

the money thing was never an issue, however, it was worth noting..400 bucks is a nice hunk of cash..

Wait till you buy some gear. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

i would say stf for sure.

i say that because that is where i jump, and went through training there.

han's, the dzo, is a great guy and really makes it as affordable to get your license as he can. i doubt you will find a friendlier place to go.

stf has a special "vibe" and anyone who has been there knows this. people drop by and stay for years.

i am sure you will be happy with either place you choose, z hills has a great reputation too.

good luck and blue skies
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Yuck, don't bring canoe beer that the DZ.

Ok....I will bring some PBR:P

PBR Pounder Racks at Costco for under $18.00. Hard to pass on a suprisingly retro beer gaining in popularity at happy hours around the country in a 24 x 16oz Cary case...... Hangover be damned, long live the PBR Pounder Pack!!

Oh, to the OP, you already answered your question about DZ's in one of the posts and you should think "Z". You have been hanging out there and you already have some ties. Get the license and you can be the newbie at a new DZ or even multiple DZ's with a that license. Ties established to your local Home DZ and then you can travel and find the fun you can find.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Beyond that, how many times will you have to drive to GA to get your A license? Keeping in mind gas is headed north of $4/gal, you'll drop $30 or $40 on gas each time you have to go back, vs. $5 to drive to Z-hills.

Holy crap!! what sort of car do you have to get 90 MPG????
My car would cost me $144 to go to atlanta from Zhills. (at 25 miles per gallon on highway) [:/]
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.

Beyond that, how many times will you have to drive to GA to get your A license? Keeping in mind gas is headed north of $4/gal, you'll drop $30 or $40 on gas each time you have to go back, vs. $5 to drive to Z-hills.

My car would cost me $144 to go to atlanta from Zhills. (at 25 miles per gallon on highway) [:/]

i have a civic SI i can get 30mpgs if i keep my foot out of it..

i was already going to be in GA anyway, which is why STF had been an option..

Deland is my home dz and I would recommend the instructors and dropzone to anyone, but you're better off just going to the dropzone that is closest to you, especially since it has a good reputation.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

:D:D
Yeah, Tony. I SAW your new car hot rod and I have a hard time believing 25mpg.
:D:D

i was already going to be in GA anyway, which is why STF had been an option..

Stop by and visit with us even if you're not going to do your training here. Get a feel for the place and all that.

Looking forward to meeting you.

We have two rules:
- What happens at the Farm, even though nothing ever does, stays at the Farm.
- Don't be embarrassed by anything you might hear, see, feel or DO.