pyrotech

Cost of Class A?

I'm looking into where to go locally to get AFF course up to Class A license, and there are 2 DZ's within only about a 2- to 3-hour drive. One of these has a full Class A course that will get you 25 jumps, your membership, goggles, log book, altimeter, and equipment rental for $2800. This sounds like an amazing deal to me, but I'm new to this.

The other doesn't really say the exact cost, but gives a pricing structure for AFF. The 7 AFF jumps will total to be about $1500. The next jumps are listed at only $25 for a certified jumper. I'm not sure if passing AFF considers one to be a certified jumper in this pricing structure, and haven't heard back from them yet after asking. It also doesn't mention gear rental, which I'd assume the $25 doesn't cover (also asked in an email to them). The AFF course includes goggles.

Does the first one sound like a good deal? The scenery of the city it is located in is a bit preferable to the second DZ's location. Both DZs have decent reviews, but all reviews are from tandem first-timers, so of course they're going to get an incredible review.

I have a friend in VT who says the rates are pretty overpriced. I'm not sure what other people pay, but if I have to complete 25 jumps at a single DZ before getting licensed and jumping at other DZs, my options are limited to my location.

Any suggestions? Does the first package sound like a good deal? Or does it sound like I should continue looking into other options?

Thanks for your help!

$2800 isn't bad if the goggles, log book, and altimeter are high quality, but it isn't an "amazing deal" by any stretch.

$1500 for 7 AFF jumps seems pricey. You'll have to do a number of coached jumps after that to get your license, and those will probably run between $75-$100 apiece with gear rental at most non-club DZs.
Owned by Remi #?

One potential consideration is, how much will it cost per AFF jump repeated. It's only a minority that gets through the AFF jumps without a repeat. I had two repeats. Think it cost me just under an extra $500.

More important than the money (to a degree): Visit both AZ's...what feel do you get from them? Ask around, which has a better reputation? Comfort level is important.

It really depends where you are. Prices in VT are not going to be the same as in CA. $2800 doesn't seem unreasonable to me if it covers all of your jumps.

After you complete the AFF levels you are still a student. I wouldn't expect $25 to cover gear. You'll also need to do a few coach jumps.

Assuming NO rejumps during AFF (knocking on my head hard right now) and 25 jumps to complete my A license proficiency card, it'll cost me $2670. That includes:

$70 FJC
Lvls 1-3 w/ 2 instructors - $225 each
Lvls 4-7 w/ 1 instructor -$155 each
Lvls 8-14 w/ Coach - $100 each
Jumps 15-25 - $22 + $30 for gear rental each (can save money by jumping more than twice a day)

Goggles, Logbook, & SIM are given out during Lvls 1-3. Bought a Galaxy alti for $155.

Total comes out to $2800. Looks like you're in the ballpark. Keep in mind though that my jumps 8-14 include a coach.

EDIT: Forgot tunnel time. That's another $1100 for the trip plus an hour in the tunnel.

I always tell my friends who are considering getting into skydiving to set aside about $3000 to get their A license. This is a general figure to cover the cost of AFF, coached jumps, basic gear, solo jumps and some tunnel time. You can do it for less but I think that's a good number for planning purposes.
http://www.mixcloud.com/prajna
http://vimeo.com/avidya

Thank you for your replies!

I heard back from the DZ with the package deal. Come to find out, if I pay for everything up front, it costs me $2500. It's if I pay per jump individually that it costs right around 2800. Each training jump is $100. I'll write back and ask if this price reflects what it would cost if I need to repeat an AFF jump. A question though, if I fail an AFF, does that jump still count toward the 25 jumps for class A? Do all jumps have to accomplish a goal to obtain A cert?

I haven't visited either DZ yet, so I'll need to go visit them to get comfort level and whatnot of each place before committing to a DZ.

Labrys, for some reason, I just don't expect either place to give away great gear to students. It would be great to be pleasantly surprised, but one DZ just plain charges a lot (the second DZ in the above scenario) for any jumps, and the other DZ is in a city that is just plain wicked expensive to even drive through. I'm surprised that city doesn't charge to get to use their oxygen in the air. The DZ with the package deal includes rentals with their jump costs, so at least with that one I know what I'm getting myself into. I'll ask the other if I ever hear back from them.

Artard, when you say "basic gear," what do you include in that? Just helmet / alt / goggles / log book? Playing in a tunnel isn't something I'd really considered until today, but would LOVE to play in one since there's one only a couple hours away!

Hookierower, that's looking like it's going to be the pricing structure of almost anywhere around here as well.

I mean helmet, altimeter, logbook. Maybe also an old ugly jumpsuit. I would definitely suggest some tunnel time during AFF, it will make a huge difference in your confidence in freefall and you will breeze through the levels. Right after AFF 1 is a great time to do 10-15 minutes of tunnel, with another session later on in your progression (maybe between 4 and 5 or 5 and 6). Where in Colorado are you at? I jump at Mile Hi Skydiving so come say hi if you make it up here!
http://www.mixcloud.com/prajna
http://vimeo.com/avidya

Pops - I'm about a 25-hr drive from there... a couple weeks off work + flight there + cost of lessons + beer for person letting me crash on couch = more than I could afford.

Artard - I'm in Avon in Vail Valley, so only a couple hours west from Mile Hi. It is the second DZ that I'd mentioned in my original post. Is this where you got your A license?

Pops - I'm about a 25-hr drive from there... a couple weeks off work + flight there + cost of lessons + beer for person letting me crash on couch = more than I could afford.

Artard - I'm in Avon in Vail Valley, so only a couple hours west from Mile Hi. It is the second DZ that I'd mentioned in my original post. Is this where you got your A license?

We have 55 acres of awesomeness, bring a tent. I'll pick you up from the atl airport.

You come during the summer and can handle it physically you can get 25 in a week, week and a half easily.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

I wish I had nice weather right now. I took my FJC on 2/19 and here I am, 5 weeks later with only 5 jumps to my name. I've lived at the DZ for the last 5 weekends and of the 10 days I've been there I've only jumped on two of the days. One day I got 3 jumps in, the other I got 2 because it didn't clear up until 2pm. Clouds always seem to roll in on the weekend and then in the afternoon, the wind springs up to blow them away but the 14mph limit has been exceeded.

Back to the waiting game I guess since this weekend was looking glorious and now it's turned to shit.

Here's something to think about. I was in Southern Cali, did all of my research just like you are doing, and found that flying to Georgia to get my A at Skydive the Farm was CHEAPER than staying put and doing it in Socal, including a flight! I know, I couldn't believe it either... I don't work there, I'm just saying that if you look at flights and can take 2 weeks off, it might be worth it to fly somewhere else. I can vouch that STF was the best deal I could find, with a stellar safety record. Lodi is cheap as well, but when you compare everything else there's no contest.

I'm considering it. Already the cost of the class is about $1000 cheaper. I'd have to wait until next year and use all of my vacation time for the year (I only get 2 weeks), and after flights it would probably only save me $500, but that's also $500 extra in my wallet...

I've also been looking into a static line course that would end up being about the same cost as AFF at STF. I'd much rather do AFF, and it would be fun to hit up Atlanta for a couple weeks, so it's all being taken into consideration for now.

Thanks again for your help!

Hey guys! I just finished my A at Skydive Arizona in Eloy and it ran me $3475. That includes 10 minutes of tunnel time, AFF, 3 solos, 12 coach jumps plus other little odds and ends. If you already have a tandem you can lob $189 off that amount. It is a bit pricey but Eloy has some of the best working there. They have a really great crew of instructors, lots of loads, other services, and a lot of international visitors which I kind of liked. It was a great experience.
"Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see."

-Benjamin Franklin

Skydive City's 'Bronze package" A license costs $2450, I think we include goggles, logbook, not sure about the alti, but sounds like you are int eh ballpark at $2800.

A lot of it is how well you perform. More or less AFF jumps if you 'bomb' one of them, and more or less coaching to finish the proficiency card for USPA.

you can download our info packet at http://www.skydivecity.com/html/students/aff/documents/AFF-ISPInfoPacket2010_000.pdf

Skydive the Farm

Complete A-License package (jumps 1-25): $1,899 (Includes a Flight 1 Canopy Course)

404-295-5000

I was going to mention this. Hans's price is unbeatable.

We're more about the fun than the money.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Skydive the Farm

Complete A-License package (jumps 1-25): $1,899 (Includes a Flight 1 Canopy Course)

404-295-5000

I was going to mention this. Hans's price is unbeatable.

We're more about the fun than the money.

very true!!!
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."