hawkbit

Airport List - Go/No Go for rig carry on

Since Quade is getting a great thread together for Airline policy on carrying on your rig, why don't we do a thread on airports and the security screening experience. It may help prepare people for those "difficult" airports... Of course it all really boils down to whoever is doing the security screening each time... but I would like to know.

I've only just started carrying mine on ... so here is my limited experience.

Denver (DIA) - No problems, not even a second look
Orange County, CA (John Wayne) - No problems at all
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing"

Ellington Field (EFD), Houston -- no problem
Phoenix, AZ -- no problem (for me -- others have had trouble)
San Diego CA -- no problem there

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Spent 90 minutes in line at DIA security in January. Not bad though, they shut down the lane and used me as a training session. They also took photocopies of the cypress card and took notes.

Tampa - TPA no problem checking the rig in

I was not allowed to be there when the TSA checked my stuff, but at the American counter you could see what the TSA was doing from the escalator. I spent some time travelling up and down the escalators until I was comfortable that everything had passed. Funnily enough, the TSA opened my other bag, which contained my tent and the tent pegs, and checked to see what the tent pegs were. They didn't seem concerned with the rig at all.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

No problems at:

MDW
ORD
IAH
HOU
PHX
ONT
SNA
LAX
ATL
CVG
TPA
MCO
FLL

PSP A minor problem last January which was straightened out by a supervisor. After which I wrote the TSA Director for the PSP airport who wrote me back a nice letter and said the his security personnel would be briefed on the efforts of the USPA and TSA on this matter.

Chris

Dulles - a big group of us were coming through at the same time, some had no problem - but two of us were stopped for a while. Make sure you have all your documentation and are pleasant with the people and answer their questions. They finally let us through.

Spent 90 minutes in line at DIA security in January. Not bad though, they shut down the lane and used me as a training session. They also took photocopies of the cypress card and took notes.

Very cool, too bad you can't video tape in the security areas :)

Dulles i had some minor issues but pulled out so much documentation so quick the guy was like "oh i guess it's okay" also i interrupted him as he was trying to describe an AAD which he said I couldn't have.. it was a "does it have one of those cylnder thin..." "there is no compressed gas in the rig.." "oh okay, it's cool go on"

CMH (Columbus, OH) I was denied taking it on and was forced to check it. They weren't worried about the Cypres, they were afraid I would hijack the plane and escape. No Cypres card could change their mind.
Skydiving is for cool people only

Orlando- no problem
LAX- no problem
Portland, OR- no problem
Oakland, CA- she pulled me aside, and asked me what that "thing" was while pointing to the middle of my rig. I told her it was a spring loaded activation device for my reserve, and she said, "oh, I've heard of those before. I always wanted to go skydiving...yadda, yadda" and I was soon on my way.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Recently (since the inception of TSA and all the tightened screening procedures), I have only traveled from Tucson with my rig as checked baggage. Because I insured it, I got questioned about it extensively, but they did put it on the aircraft.

Now that passengers are required to leave their luggage unlocked, I will choose to FedEx my gear instead. It's too much of a shell game right now with the airlines.

Also, did you know that the airline insurance only covers loss, not damage? Antoher reason to go with FedEx.
Arrive Safely

John

IND-Indianapolis. GO

SLC- Salt Lake City. GO

HNL - Honolulu. GO

ATL - Atlanta. GO

In Indianapolis, they wanted to open the entire rig up including pulling the reserve out. I over reacted and placed both arms over it as they started playing with the reserve handle. (they thought they was having a major situation) A supervisor came over and was questioning me about it, I showed her my Cypres card and explained it to her. She said it was a very uncommon item to have come though and asked if they could run it again so they can take a picture of it for training purposes. No other issue after that besides the million questions I got from my surrounding passengers and that's really not an issue.

I have never felt that the problems are airport-specific, they tend to be screener-specific or supervisor-specific, but here's my experience nonetheless. I think this includes everywhere I've gone through security with my rig (so far).

No problem:

ONT
PHX
SFO
SEA
PDX
ATL
MCO
TPA
CLT
FCA
GEG
MDW
PNS
SMF
BZE
DFW
MIA

Minor problem:
YYZ - my rig is too heavy to carry on per Canadian regs, so I'm allowed to take it through security but have to check it.

OAK - this is now my home airport so most of my travel originates from here and it's generally a total non-issue. Only once did I have a problem - a supervisor asked to see "my orders" and wasn't going to allow me to carry the rig on. We eventually worked it out.

BOS - mostly not a problem - once had to talk a supervisor out of forcing me to check the rig because of the AAD, but it took convincing him to look at the x-ray himself rather than relying on the rather overblown description of his staff
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

All you guys simply listing airport codes could be a little more helpful by just writing out the city/airport name.

WTF is a YYZ*?

Oh....we could always go to airport code look-up and search them one at a time, right?
:|

* Toronto, ON - International

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

All you guys simply listing airport codes could be a little more helpful by just writing out the city/airport name.

WTF is a YYZ*?

Oh....we could always go to airport code look-up and search them one at a time, right?
:|

* Toronto, ON - International

You are old enough to remember Rush, aren't you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YYZ_(instrumental)

Didn't you wonder what the hell YYZ meant? And we didn't have the internet back then to figure it out.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo