gjhdiver

Mythbuster Skydiving episode 04/13/11

Tonight at 9:00 on the Discovery Channel. It's the first airing of the episode filmed at Bay Area Skydiving in Byron last year. We spent the day throwing fifty pound blocks of ice out of the plane, and I spent the day strapped to Kari Byron. It's a tough job sometimes.

Tonight at 9:00 on the Discovery Channel. It's the first airing of the episode filmed at Bay Area Skydiving in Byron last year. We spent the day throwing fifty pound blocks of ice out of the plane, and I spent the day strapped to Kari Byron. It's a tough job sometimes.

No jumping?
__

My mighty steed

No jumping?

:ph34r::D:ph34r::D
Remster

This is the "Blue Ice" episode I guess?

You are one lucky son of a bitch. She is one good looking women.

eta picture

What was the "myth" to be tested? To see if freefall air produced enough friction and heat to melt the ice???

What was the "myth" to be tested? To see if freefall air produced enough friction and heat to melt the ice???

It's about the myth of blue ice from airplane toilets escaping, freezing, and making it to the ground to cause damage...

I won't spoil the ending for you ;)

So, just out of curiosity, why is she wearing what looks like a student rig, over the tandem harness?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Fair to guess it wasn't tested at proper altitude?
:P

They determined the ice block would fall off at ~12k... just so happens... ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Myth Confirmed. Awesome.

My new goal is to be a TI.;)

And give your student a gopro.

I swear... cute girls get it all!!>:(

So, just out of curiosity, why is she wearing what looks like a student rig, over the tandem harness?

Theory: They wanted footage of her sitting near the open door by herself, before she was hooked up to the tandem master. So she needed her own rig for safety in case she fell out. And then once that task was done and the door closed, they removed the student rig and hooked her up to the tandem master for her jump.

+1 I didn't understand the rational behind that at all either

Here is a pic of what we are both asking about for all of those who didn't get a chance to watch it ;)
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Theory: They wanted footage of her sitting near the open door by herself, before she was hooked up to the tandem master. So she needed her own rig for safety in case she fell out. And then once that task was done and the door closed, they removed the student rig and hooked her up to the tandem master for her jump.

thanks for the answer my roommates and i were asking that exact question.

That is not a student rig. There are no 3 rings. It is a pilot rig.

That is not a student rig. There are no 3 rings. It is a pilot rig.

The one she wore in the show most definatly was a Wings skydiving rig, the one in the picture posted above was a different show, where she was wearing a PEP

I was going to answer this, but John did it for me. Well done sir ! B|