angle228

Tandem BASE

Looks like they're not using the line release modification.

I would presume that they weight the risks, and determined that the possibility of having to land without one or both control lines is more dangerous than the small possibility of a lineover when using a tailgate. There was a lot of discussion on the BASE boards about that recently.
BASE 1384

hey wow. anyone know anything about this TBX tandem base canopy they say they are using? how many sq. ft. ? who makes it? being an ..ahem larger than average skydiver myself. this may be just the canopy i have been looking for to start base jumping. anyone see any reason someone couldn't just jump it solo? ?
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

What the hell, I just hope they have a good waiver.

They do specifically state "BASE jumping is not safe,..." But then preceded to sugar coat it.

I have this in my FAQs "WHAT HAPPENS IF THE PARACHUTE DOESN’T OPEN?" And, yes I know that "...malfunctions..." would be more correct. They don't address this little issue on the web site.

Safety
BASE jumping is not safe, but history shows that is can be performed safely. TandemBASE takes all precautions to provide the safest environment possible within the realm of BASE jumping. Student harnesses include an inflatable PFD (Personal Flotation Device), with single pull activation, in the event of a water landing. All students are provided helmets and must arrive with proper footwear (athletic shoes or hiking boots). With a minimum of 500 jumps, TandemBASE instructors begin as the sport’s highest caliber jumpers. Instructors are then required to complete written and practical instruction and testing on TandemBASE Standard Operating Procedures before being certified as TandemBASE Instructors.

Is it safe, can I get hurt?
BASE Jumping is not safe, but it can be done safely. BASE jumping is like any other extreme sport: there are inherent risks that require careful training and execution. Failure to follow that training can lead to serious injury or death. The equipment has improved considerably over the old-style round parachute and is so reliable that, when used properly, BASE jumping can be as safe or safer than any other extreme sport. . That being said, there is no perfect parachute, no perfect instructor, no perfect weather condition, and for that matter no perfect student.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Is it safe, can I get hurt?
BASE Jumping is not safe, but it can be done safely. BASE jumping is like any other extreme sport: there are inherent risks that require careful training and execution. Failure to follow that training can lead to serious injury or death. The equipment has improved considerably over the old-style round parachute and is so reliable that, when used properly, BASE jumping can be as safe or safer than any other extreme sport. . That being said, there is no perfect parachute, no perfect instructor, no perfect weather condition, and for that matter no perfect student.

(Not directed at skydived19006)

When was the last time ya heard of a round with the anti-inversion netting have a malfunction?

When was the last time you heard of a square having a malfunction?

:S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

What the hell, I just hope they have a good waiver.

They do specifically state "BASE jumping is not safe,..." But then preceded to sugar coat it.

Bah, looks almost exactly like the Safety FAQs on a lot of different drop zone web sites.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I see they use a pilot chute assist deployment. I wonder if static line, direct bag would be even more reliable. I'm not a base jumper, so I really don't know.

I remember walking out to the plane with my tandem passenger one time, and they asked if I could promise the parachute would work. I told them I couldn't honestly do that, guarantee that either the main or reserve would open. I just told them I was pretty confident that at least one of them would work fine, or I wouldn't be getting on the plane.

I see they use a pilot chute assist deployment. I wonder if static line, direct bag would be even more reliable. I'm not a base jumper, so I really don't know.

If you have someone to assist, such as this case, some will argue a PCA is safer because you have someone else ensuring proper bridle routing. There have been jumpers in the past hurt and killed because they routed their bridle wrong and the SL broke early. I think in this case, the PCA is the safer option as this way the instructor can focus solely on the passenger.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Is this allowed in this forum, please move if not?

Well, the BASE forum on here moved and there is discussion of tandem BASE over there.

Did you guys know they are offering to tandem freefall 10 whuffos at Bridge Day this year?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Now that we are past peak oil ... and aviation fuel is only getting more expensive ... BASE Tandem first jumps are bound to overtake the tandem market.

I would doubt that.

Don't. Riggerrob didn't specify a time frame.

It seems to me that the only real doubt here is whether oil will become so expensive (due to the refusal of certain US politicians to allow exploration and drilling inside the US or just offshore) that petrochemical-derived parachute equipment will become too expensive to buy.

I wonder if there's such a thing as ZP silk?

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

>When was the last time ya heard of a round with the anti-inversion netting have
> a malfunction?

>When was the last time you heard of a square having a malfunction?

Well, when's the last time you heard of a double-keel Dactyl having a malfunction? Last time you heard of a Nova collapsing?

I saw a anti inversion net equipped t-10 have a line over once. it was the textbook " maywest" mal. but it was back in the early 80's
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I can see how the "Base Jump" may attract, but I would take a 50-second freefall over a .5-second freefall any day.

Whatever.........to each his/her own.
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts