pyrotech

How long before you knew what gear you liked?

Getting wicked excited for this weekend! I'd decided not to go through with AFF, and go with SL instead due to cost and stronger desire to get used to canopy control than freefalling right off the bat. I've read that line twists are more common in static line, which I'd prefer (to get used to getting out of them and dealing with nuisances like that from the start).

Anyway, is it common to be able to try out multiple canopies as a student to see which I prefer as I progress before I buy my own gear? Or is it more of a "you'll use what we give you" type of situation? I've read that a lot of people buy their own gear after leaving student status, but do you think I'll really know what kind of gear I'd want to buy after only 25 jumps? How many jumps did you make before you decided to bite the bullet and buy your own gear, rather than renting from the DZ?

In the earlier part of your student progression, it'll be a "take what they give you" type of situation. The DZ may only have a certain subset of rigs that are set up for static line jumps. As you progress through, you may stay on the same gear, or you may start to jump smaller canopies depending on your size and how your instructors feel you're doing on canopy control. Depending on the size of the DZ and what they have available in the student/rental fleet, there may be an opportunity to try different canopies, or you may have limited options

Relax about gear right now; wait till you have more jumps under your belt and are confident you're going to continue this to even begin thinking about buying a rig. Waiting a while will help you to build relationships in your local DZ who can help you evaluate options and assess the available used gear options.

If you're really excited about buying something now, think about the basics like an altimeter or gloves or goggles. There's often used altis in the classifieds here, and gloves/goggles are relatively cheap to purchase new (and I think most people wear theirs to death so they don't tend to wind up on the used market).

To directly answer your question, I started looking at about 20 jumps and had everything pieced together by about 30 jumps. I consulted with my instructors and a local rigger to get a sense of good options to keep an eye out for, and found items that met my needs in the classifieds within a few weeks after that (I was lucky - sometimes you need to be patient longer than that).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hey, Good luck on your course. Static line is awesome!! Line twists aren't usually a big deal on large student canopies that you'll be using. Just follow your training and that should take care of it.

Normally you will be under radio control until the instructor feels confident that you can land on the dropzone safely. Then when your instructors are confident enough in your canopy control based on some requirements, they may clear you to jump transition equipment with a slightly smaller canopy.

Generally for first canopies for an average sized jumper, you will want something between 170-210 square feet.

I didn't buy my first rig till after 100 jumps, but that was more because of cheap gear hire and being broke. Talk to your instructors and they'll guide you to making an informed choice about your first canopy.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction ;)

PULL!! or DIE!!

Getting wicked excited for this weekend! I'd decided not to go through with AFF, and go with SL instead due to cost and stronger desire to get used to canopy control than freefalling right off the bat. I've read that line twists are more common in static line, which I'd prefer (to get used to getting out of them and dealing with nuisances like that from the start).

Anyway, is it common to be able to try out multiple canopies as a student to see which I prefer as I progress before I buy my own gear? Or is it more of a "you'll use what we give you" type of situation? I've read that a lot of people buy their own gear after leaving student status, but do you think I'll really know what kind of gear I'd want to buy after only 25 jumps? How many jumps did you make before you decided to bite the bullet and buy your own gear, rather than renting from the DZ?

You have made a wise decision. Everybody else is afraid to say it but static line is really the only way to go.

The above is not intended to be a factual statement.

NWFlyer's schedule is pretty good; let them provide gear while it's changing regularly, then buy something of your own (no matter how old) that you can jump for awhile, and that you won't mind getting dirty, and that will let you make a decent number of mistakes on without smacking you too hard.

No, it won't go as fast. But that means that you can learn how to make it go as fast as it can, and not have to worry about slowing it down all the time.

And line twists? They're really just an exercise in thinking -- no big deal at all on student and moderate canopies.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

buy something of your own (no matter how old) that you can jump for awhile, and that you won't mind getting dirty, and that will let you make a decent number of mistakes on without smacking you too hard.

Is there really much of a limit as to how many jumps a canopy will last? I'll take NWFlyer's suggestion to make sure I show the gear / ad to someone more experienced to help me decide if it's a good deal or not and if it would be right for me.

I'm really in no hurry to buy gear at this point, as I'll at least want to get through my A license first and use student gear as long as possible. I just notice that in another thread talking about how people progressed with canopies, some said they only jumped with a certain size 7 or 8 times before moving on to something smaller. It may be a while (read: a year) before I can buy my own rig, but it would definitely be nice to try out several canopies to see what I'm comfortable with if it ends up being an option.

Thank you all for your suggestions; I'm getting more and more excited for this weekend!

There are lots of options for trying out canopies before you buy. You can use what your DZ has in its student or rental fleet. You can visit a DZ with a large gear shop and try what they have in their rental/demo fleet. You can get demo canopies directly from manufacturers (either through the mail for your own use for a couple of weekends, or at boogies where you can try them for a few jumps until someone else wants to try that same canopy/size). Or, someone at your DZ may have a canopy that you can borrow for a few jumps.

As for trying a certain size only 7 or 8 times before moving smaller ... that might be okay at the largest sizes, but when you get into smaller sizes, it's generally advised to stick on a certain size more than 7 or 8 jumps.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I hate to say it, but it depends :P. "Older" canopies can include both perfectly good learning canopies and total junk.

Zero porosity fabric has been treated to let basically no air out. If you fill a ZP canopy cell with water, the water will leak out the thread holes. Non-ZP fabric (also called F111) lets a little air out; it starts to get more porous as air forces its way through the fabric.

Generally a ZP fabric canopy can be jumped for 1000+ jumps (there are ones with 2000+ jumps). Most need new lines every few hundred jumps, because most line materials change size with heat, and heat is generated by the slider coming down the lines as the canopy opens. Zero-porosity canopies started becoming common in the early to mid 90's; some are better than others, and I'm not about to give a long discussion of which to choose.

A non-zero-porosity canopy is generally good for maybe 500 jumps; after that, it becomes more and more porous, and lands you harder, and doesn't flare as well to land. But for the first couple hundred jumps, there's not a lot of difference between it and a ZP canopy.

Canopy design has changed over the years.

One way that you can learn about gear is to look through the Classifieds, and when you see a rig that looks like it's in your eventual price range, look in the "Gear" section at the reviews, and you can do a search in the forums for information about that canopy (i.e. look in the "Gear and Rigging" section for comments). You'll learn quite a bit that way.

Spend time at the DZ when you're not jumping -- watch the packers sometimes, and if it's not too busy, ask why they do some of the stuff. Look at the gear you're jumping, and ask questions about what the pieces do.

It's possible to get older gear that's total crap. It's also possible to get older gear that's a good deal. And sometimes, based on budget, one person's total crap is another's great deal.

But some of them really are pretty out of date and marginal; you're right to consult.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I didn't buy my first rig till after 100 jumps, but that was more because of cheap gear hire and being broke.

I was similar but I got tired of renting and not knowing the history, quality, etc of the gear so I stopped jumping for a few years til I could buy my own. All debts are now paid off except the house so almost there and can't wait. Still want the same gear from what my research has turned up but will have to see if I can find any of it available used when the time comes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

I started purchasing my rig in december a little after i get to afghanistan. My custom mirage shipped today. And yes, my profile is current. B|

Where you at?

Yep, at least for another month. Trying to extend and either finish out a year or complete one full year starting this summer. Contractor now so gotta deal with contract changeovers and all the fun uncertainty that they bring.

The gear issue will become much clearer after the first 10 jumps. You will start off with a greatly oversized canopy, but if you prove to be handling it well, the instructors will give you a smaller canopy after a couple of jumps. This process will continue through your student training and you can expect to run through just about every size the DZ has to offer, keeping in mind that the smallest student rig they have is still on the larger size.

As far as buying your own stuff, plan on used, and work with your instructors or a local rigger during the buying process to ensure that your choices are both safe for you and airworthy. Again, that process will become much clearer after 10 or 15 jumps, and spending some time around the DZ.

It seems like a lot of 'stuff' now, but just reel yourself in and make a some jumps, then come back to the gear issue.

I personally began my AFF and received my A license within the same month. I had 30 jumps before purchasing and did PLENTY of research and A LOT of asking questions around the DZ including instructors and fun jumpers.

I got my A in Sep of 09 and placed my order for my brand new customized rig in Nov 09. Also must admit I'm a very thorough type of person which therefore lead me to be addicted to researching gear and canopies. But to answer your question of whether you'd be ready to know which gear you'd like after 25jumps is entirely dependant on your personality and your curiosity and time.

G'luck finding something, but don't rush it if you're not absolutely positive about it. Better to be patient and know rather than impatient and purchase the wrong gear for yourself. Have fun!;)

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp