privera71

Category B - How do you turn ?

It is a simple arm movement. However, your instructor may teach you a different way. What is important is to just take a deep breath, read the SIM if you want, but you need to just listen to your real instructor.

People on the internet are not your instructors, nor are they the people you need to help you learn how to skydive. If you want to argue some finer points about technical gear issues or get some friends to party with at a boogie, then this is the place. It is NOT the place to learn AFF!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

On cat B it should be a very slight variation from your neutral student arch.

From neutral, look the direction you want to turn and dip your shoulder down. i.e. look left and dip the left shoulder down. The deflection of the wind will initiate the turn. Then go back to neutral and get a heading.

A slight counter turn in the other direction as you stop your turn can be helpful then right back to neutral.

Any asymetric body position can cause a turn. Often unexperienced jumpers cause unintentional turn with their knees. Experienced jumpers do knee turns on purpose. But most jumpers start out with the look-then-dip-elbow-and-shoulder in the direction you want to turn. Easily taught and very stable, it's a good way to start.

Or you may just want to do it the way your instructor tells you. ;):D

I haven't found anything on the internet that explains what must be done physically to turn.

I think you should say exactly that to your instructor. Then take it from there.

Ignore everything you've seen prior to Andy's post and do exactly this. Absolutely yes!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

On cat B it should be a very slight variation from your neutral student arch.

From neutral, look the direction you want to turn and dip your shoulder down. i.e. look left and dip the left shoulder down. The deflection of the wind will initiate the turn. Then go back to neutral and get a heading.

A slight counter turn in the other direction as you stop your turn can be helpful then right back to neutral.

Thanks all. Went out, practice the turn with the instructor (exactly as mentioned above), but it was too windy to jump. Try again next week, but again, thanks all for your responses.