antibac

Stuffed sinus - AFF course

Hi there!

I am sure there are several threads here on jumping while you are stuffed (I have read a lot of them before starting this thread). I have a few questions though. I am supposed to go to an AFF course in little under 2 weeks, and going for a health check at the doctor on Thursday (need his OK to be able to jump), but I have had a little cold the last month. It started with a stuffed nose and sore throat, then I got an infection in my throat, and now I just have a stuffy nose (and sinuses) and a small cough. Worried that this might not clear within the next two weeks. I had my first tandem jump 4 days ago (which got me into this;)), and I went up there with a stuffed nose and ears (yeah, I know, smart move). It was okay on the way up, and I didn't feel much under free fall, but on our way down my ears were pounding for a little while. I managed to yawn, and it sort of went away, but I think I have a small rupture on my left ear drum. Do you think this will disqualify me from skydiving? It is supposed to grow within two weeks.

Goood, I am so dreading going to the doctor. I don't want to get a no go, but I am not about to jump against doctor's orders. I really want to go to this AFF-course. Are there any jumpers here that have a problem with their sinuses? How do you get to jump? Do you just ignore it or do you use anything that is effective and that will clear your sinuses?

I would NOT jump if you think your sinus are even slightly impaired. I have had jumps where I thought I was fine, but my ears don't clear until I get under canopy. That is many thousands of feet without them clearing!! I am sure that can't be good for them.
Sudafed is pilot approved, that is the only thing I would consider (and maybe afrin, but I don't know if that is pilot approved) to clear up the random stuffy nose.

No point to risking messing yourself up, the sky will be there. You will have plenty on your mind with AFF without having to worry about blowing your ear drums or whatever.

Welcome to the sport!

If you have a bit of congestion this time of year, esp related to allergy, and the two weeks, there are several remedies. You can try otc meds (mucinex/sudafed), Afrin is useful if you are immediately congested, but use no longer than three days or your body basically becomes addicted to it/withdrawals /congestion etc.

Highly recommended is some nasal saline/Nettipot for clearing debris from the opening to your sinuses and allowing the fluid to drain freely thereby releasing pressure, and allowing the solution to decrease a chronic inflammation.

Your physician may also recommend a nasal steroid for a maintenance decrease in inflammation.

/this does not constitute any official medical advice - see a physician locally for full evaluation.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

I actually think I've got sinusitis right now. Like I said earlier, I think I ruptured my left ear drum, and I've showered several times after that, so maybe that's why my sinuses are sort of painful right now. It SUCKS that I might have to postpone the course, I got myself a whole week off from work and everything, and I could have my A-certificate by May 15th! GAHH. I might feel better by the time we start jumping (May 8th), but it's so much money that I don't know if I want to take the chance (like $2450). I kinda have to decide by tomorrow.

Ah well, have to see what the doctor has to say first :|

I have bad allergies and often have sinitus. What I've learned over the years is even after a battery of medicine that I may have good air flow but still get pain or blood from pressure building way up in the sinuses. If I HAD to skydive I would take: 800mg Ibuprofen, 90mg pseudoephedrine, Claritin, and then Afrin right before the jump. Now I just stay on the ground and wait till it clears. Had enough ear pain, ear pressure, and bloody noses.

Oh wow, that sounds pretty bad, FreeflyGoat. I don't have bad allergies though, and I've never had any problems with my sinuses previously, except for one time last Christmas. It's been pretty stuffy the past month though.

So, I went to the doctor today and got permission to jump as soon as my ear drum rupture has healed. He also gave me antibiotics for my sinusitis and something to clear up my sinuses and nose. Hope it works. My right ear feels more stuffed up than my left ear, but that might be because I have a small rupture in my left one. I don't know. Hope it clears soon though, and that my ear drum heals fast, cause I'm pretty ready to get started! Though I've heard it's pretty common among skydivers to have ear issues when they're starting out. At least the ones I've talked to (including my brothers).

Anyway, soo happy I passed the test (I don't know how it works in the US, but here in Norway you HAVE to pass a test at the doctor just to be allowed to jump). I just hope my ear drum doesn't rupture again :P

Sooo, now my ear drum healed, and my doctor told me I was ready to go jumping, so I'm starting my AFF-course on Saturday :) Hopefully I've got my A-certificate by the end of the course-week! B| Wish me luck (and let's hope I don't rupture anything this time :|)!