shah269

End cells slow to open

Very odd question.
What causes end cells to open slowly?
I've seen various videos and numerous ones where of such that the end cells opened only after the pilot pulled down his or her slider or grabbed the brakes?
On my last jump I had an end cell on one side that was slow in opening, two quick pumps and she was good to go. Is there a defined reason or is it just one of those things.
Thank you
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Very odd question.
What causes end cells to open slowly?
I've seen various videos and numerous ones where of such that the end cells opened only after the pilot pulled down his or her slider or grabbed the brakes?
On my last jump I had an end cell on one side that was slow in opening, two quick pumps and she was good to go. Is there a defined reason or is it just one of those things.
Thank you

My Sabre2's gave me end cell closure on almost EVERY jump... I say almost because one time it slammed me, I think the cells were fully inflated. :D

My Safire2 does it too... ya just learn to deal with it, a little bit of rear risers (which also works well if you need to make that quick turn just after opening), you can pull the brakes down a bit, or you can usually just leave it alone and they will inflate themselves.

One time I did have 3 cells closed on ONE side of my Sabre2-190... THAT got interesting real fast! Almost chopped it! :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

What's your wing loading? TOO light can cause this.

I weigh 180 and was on a student rig. A 260 Navigator (0.769 WL)
Nothing major, just did a hop and pop and noticed my right one or two end cells were closed. Caused me to do a very soft precession. I recalled my education, looked up and noticed the end cells, noted that the lines were clean but that the slide had not come down all the way.
I reached up grabbled the toggles and gave two pumps and by the end of the first the cell was inflated and by the second the slider was down.
Nothing scary due to training but just wondering what caused it and when watching videos I see a people who seem to have floppy end cells for a second or two.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

I weigh 180 and was on a student rig. A 260 Navigator (1.444 WL)
Nothing major, just did a hop and pop and noticed my right one or two end cells were closed.

First, your WL is not 1.444. It is 0.75 if 180 is your exit weight or 0.88 if YOU weigh 180lbs and we allow 30lbs for gear, clothes etc

Second, You may be more prone to end cell closure from a HnP if you are opening at sub-terminal speeds.

Third, you did the right thing to deal with the issue. Well done.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Sorry...no coffee....30 mile ride to work...brain...aaaahhh...not there at the moment.
But yes my math was off.

Oh...never thought of that! Sub terminal speeds....dooh! I only did a 10 second trak so yes that could be.

And thank you, I have had very good instruction at my home DZ. Not very scarry on a light wing but I'm sure on a more loaded wing it would have been a nice spin.

Sorry...no coffee....30 mile ride to work...brain...aaaahhh...not there at the moment.
But yes my math was off.

No worries - just thought I'd let you know.

And thank you, I have had very good instruction at my home DZ. Not very scarry on a light wing but I'm sure on a more loaded wing it would have been a nice spin.

I just posted yesterday about my experiences with the same thing on an elliptical loaded at 1.5. Even then it's not the end of the world - just a bit of a nuisance.

I'll take a soft opening and end cell closure over a slammer any day!
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA