swoopfly

waiting on your cypres?

i have heard this old story time and time again from many different sources. In this months parachutist, again i have read this story.
For whatever reason jumper cannot deploy main parachute, so instead of going straight for the reserve they sit there and wait for their cypres to activate. In this months atricle it said the jumper didnt want to deploy their reserve for fear of "disturbing something" in their reserve activation.

My question is.. Are these jumpers that undertrained and actually still putting a rig on and jumping it or are they informed and that stupid to come up with this idea in freefall?

When i was a student and had no idea about gear i wanted to learn everything possible and how everything worked, to make the best informed decision possible. when i hear this story i always wonder what in the hell were they thinking. But yet still i see this story over and over again, what gives?

reading the title, i thought you ordered one and were complaining about the lead-times; they went down to 3 weeks again!

but yea, that' pretty stupid!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

>Are these jumpers that undertrained and actually still putting a rig on and
>jumping it or are they informed and that stupid to come up with this idea
>in freefall?

I think they just plain fucked up. People do that pretty often in skydiving.

Welcome to the "problems" that the credit card generation and AAD's have created.

Anyone who waits has no concept of how their gear works and IMHO should NEVER skydive again.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Anyone who waits has no concept of how their gear works and IMHO should NEVER skydive again.

I would be hard-pressed to argue against that.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I would be hard-pressed to argue against that.

do, or do not, there is no try! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I witnessed a Cypres fire that the jumper claimed to have deliberately waited for the AAD to fire. It was winter and she was just a few jumps off student status. She said that because of the cold she was unable to grip her hacky to deploy her pilot chute. She claims she decided to wait for the AAD to fire. I wonder if in these situations they decide it is better to say they made a conscious decision to let the AAD do it’s job than to say “I panicked and froze up”. In their mind it is the lesser of two evils.

She got the “talk” and we never saw her again.

As chrisl said, that ground rush is something!!

Is it all the parallax effect? Or does the type of lens on the camera contribute as well?

I think its simply thats what it looks like when you are at 500 ft still doin a buck twenty.

I dont plan to ever experience that view first hand :)
__

My mighty steed

Is it all the parallax effect? Or does the type of lens on the camera contribute as well?

I think its simply thats what it looks like when you are at 500 ft still doin a buck twenty.

I dont plan to ever experience that view first hand :)

With a tracksuit on I am going a bit slower than that, but the view at 300' and 100mph is pretty sweet. Can't say I am proud of my basement BASE phase, but damn that shit was hot. pull-surge-flare, all in under five seconds.:)

I had a 800 ft. 26ft strong lopo round reserve opening over a hot m-16 range at ft. campbell back in the early 80's that got my full attention as the reserve ripcord and cutaway cables flapped in the breeze in my perif vision.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I think we both know why is this happening. The skydiving culture needs whatever we can get in order to survive (financially and population wise). That makes the treshold for acceptance to be lower.

I mean how often to you see someone who starts that has his head on the right track? Young, Dum and full of cum is what we mostly get. Time and experience makes them wisers. And when they get wiser it already exists a new generation of skydivers that is ready to hate the wise ones.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Is it all the parallax effect? Or does the type of lens on the camera contribute as well

I don't think it's any of the above, I think it's real life.

There might be some of the doppler effect at play, but think of it this way - if you fall 500 feet in 2.5 seconds from 5000ft down to 4500ft, you fell 10% of your total altitude in 2.5 seconds. Take that same 500ft, at the same rate, but now make it from 1000 down to 500. You just fell 50% of your total altitude in the same amount of time.

All that aside, it's quite a visual in the video because you know the guy is just waiting. If I knew the guy was fighting for his life, and got the reserve out at 500ft, I don't think it would have been as scary. To know the guy was just sitting there waiting really adds to the drama. What a schmuck.

Couldn't tell you. I just got my A four weeks ago. No way in HELL would I just sit there waiting for an AAD to fire. Maybe some folks are brain locking it. I can't believe that anyone would think "waited for my AAD" sounds better then "I froze". I'll make plenty of mistakes, but I do have powerful motivation to live...

I think its time we got rid of the reserve handle, its just not needed anymore and only comlicates things (ie risk of out of sequence proceedures, unsatable deployments ect). new proceedure should be: cut away then spend remaining timegetting stable and waiting for cypres. professional pilots all over the world rely 100% on instraments and computers everyday with there lives an 300 odd other why cant we???

I agree. What the hell...scumbag lawyers, judges and juries don't accept personal responsibility as a factor anymore so let's just take it out of the equation.
;)

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Welcome to the "problems" that the credit card generation and AAD's have created.

Do you think it might be the form of instruction ? Making people pay for learning how to pack and not thoroughly explaining how an AAD works and which philosophy is behind it, contributes more to this problem than the credit card generation IMHO.

I think there is a fundamental difference between freezing up for apparently no reason and consciously waiting for the AAD. AADs where developed for the former... Anyone who does the latter has no business skydiving or has gone through a faulty ground school.

How many of you where taught how AADs work and which philosophy is behind them in the FJC ground school ?

>I think we both know why is this happening. The skydiving culture needs
>whatever we can get in order to survive (financially and population wise).
>That makes the treshold for acceptance to be lower.

I heard the same thing when I stared 20 years ago - although back then it was "squares make it too easy, we should still train people on rounds so we weed out the undedicated, the wimpy" etc. ho didn't have the strength to deal with a hard landing.

I don't think people in skydiving have changed all that much. What _has_ changed is that people like this are surviving and continuing to jump.

>And when they get wiser it already exists a new generation of skydivers
>that is ready to hate the wise ones.

In a way, yes. Not all "last generation" skydivers are wise, but they've certainly managed to survive - which means they're generally wise _enough._

I witnessed a Cypres fire that the jumper claimed to have deliberately waited for the AAD to fire. It was winter and she was just a few jumps off student status. She said that because of the cold she was unable to grip her hacky to deploy her pilot chute. She claims she decided to wait for the AAD to fire. I wonder if in these situations they decide it is better to say they made a conscious decision to let the AAD do it’s job than to say “I panicked and froze up”. In their mind it is the lesser of two evils.

She got the “talk” and we never saw her again.

I do remember one jump on a cold day, went for hacky pulled and wouldent come out, i always pull at 4000 and after the first attempt to pull my left hand went straight to my reserve handle. I then realized i am still at 3500, i am not pulling my reserve just yet, so reached back again and pulled with all i had (i do see how the cold can slow up your muscles) and got it out. I did know while in freefall that like i was trained if i didnt get it the second try go straight for my reserve next. On that jump i was very close to a reserve ride, im glad it happened as it proved to myself that i can stay calm and relaxed in freefall with issues and the thought of pulling my reserve when i needed it wasent a concern, when i need it!