r.panfil

Skydive chicago

Recently, I have been hearing a lot of people making negative comments about the safety record at SDC. I have not been around the sport for very long, but from everything i have seen at the dz, they are a very professional and safety oriented dz. Correct me if I'm wrong, but until the incident that occured on sunday, there hasn't been a fatality at SDC since 2003? Is there anyone out there who would be able to give me some info on this subject so I can educate people who are afraid to jump because of hearsay?
If its called free fall then why the hell is it so expensive?

Maybe there used to be issues and people don't know the place has changed, or refuse to believe it. I've only been jumping since 2003, and never made it to SDC until 2006, so I don't know what it was like back when there were incidents like Ron Passmore's. I've been to a few dz's where people sit around and whine about how bad SDC is, but I don't hear people at SDC talking crap about other dz's, so it seems a little one sided to me.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I've been to a few dz's where people sit around and whine about how bad SDC is, but I don't hear people at SDC talking crap about other dz's, so it seems a little one sided to me.

They don't abide by silly beer rules at SDC, so they are bound to have a few critics. ;)

What do you mean by that? Every time i have gone for a beer after jumping, the person asked me if im done for the day, and reminds me that i cant drink in the hanger. I don't see how they could enforce it any more than that

What do you mean by that? Every time i have gone for a beer after jumping, the person asked me if im done for the day, and reminds me that i cant drink in the hanger. I don't see how they could enforce it any more than that

Those aren't the 'beer rules' that I was refering to. I'm talking about getting free beer out of rookies every time they do a 'first'. Not very proffesional in my opinion.

I think they run a pretty tight ship at SDC.

I guess that's one downside to SDC, and also one of the reasons I visit other dz's. Some people get a little carried away with the beer rules though and then it loses it's meaning. :P

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

When you consider how many jumps are made there compared to how many incidents there are the incident rate is pretty darn good. And it's not just tandems there either, they may do 200 tandems a day on weekends, but there's also a ton on teams and fun jumpers. I heard there are 13 4 way belly teams training there this year alone.

Recently, I have been hearing a lot of people making negative comments about the safety record at SDC

Yeah, where have you been hearing that? From anyone with a grudge, or other reason to speak poorly of the DZ?

I don't get the impression that the safety record of SDC is any worse than any other DZ. I've been around about as long as SDC, and it's never popped up on my radar as being 'less safe' than anywhere else. They have their share of incidents for sure, but compared to the number of jumps made, I don't think the actual rate is any worse than anywhere esle.

Perris and Eloy have extensive fatality lists, but they also have the highest number of slots flown annually in the US (possibly in the world). Even then, it would be one thing if the lists were packed with students and tandems, jumpers under the direct supervision of the DZ management, but they're not. The majority are licensed fun jumpers who went in during the regular course of business in a manner that the DZ could have never prevented.

Those aren't the 'beer rules' that I was referring to. I'm talking about getting free beer out of rookies every time they do a 'first'. Not very professional in my opinion.

Evidently, you are not familiar with Beer Rules and where it comes from....

"An unwritten law, one as immutable and irrefutable as gravity and backed by history, states that skydivers enjoy the drinking of beer almost as much as flight itself. A manifestation of this fact is the tradition of the buying by an individual skydiver a case of beer (that being twenty-four cans or bottles holding twelve or more ounces of beer, ale, or some similar such substance) for his or her fellow jumpers to celebrate the accomplishment of a particular feat or milestone in one's jump career.

It is generally recognized that the buying and drinking of such beer enhances that common bond shared by skydivers and contributes greatly to the body of knowledge concerning parachuting and its related activities.

It is a sad fact that some skydivers are ignorant of what constitutes a significant achievement (usually and henceforth referred to as a "first"). Equally sad is the fact that some unscrupulously thirsty jumpers will shamelessly try to "weasel" a case of beer out of a jumper for an inauspicious event."

You are being taken in by those "unscrupulously thirsty jumpers will shamelessly try to "weasel" a case of beer" out of you. These are the gluttonous beer hounds who have no respect for young jumpers nor for tradition. These are the bozos you ignore. Buy the beer and pass it out to those who are helping/mentoring you or will help/mentor you on a personal basis. Sit down with them and talk...and listen....and learn.

It's all about comraderie, tradition, and bonding with others.

Helpful hint:
http://www.skydiving.org.vt.edu/goodstuff/beer.htm
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I recently set up a trip to sdc for some members of the veterans club at my school, and I had several people (Never even seen a dz) say that they would go if we werent going to sdc. I have also heard this from several other people who were interested in making a first skydive. I dont know where they are getting this information from, but i would like to have statistics to steer them back on the right track..... And possibly get hooked;)

Dumbass skydiver create accidents.
I was there when 150+ otter loads were turning in one day with out single accident.
One of the best facility and landing area in us.
Couple down side of this dz is
1. No recerculating wind tunnel
2. Nothing else besides skydiving
3. Even the strip joint sucked ass
4. And you can't jump there between nov thru feb
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

(that being twenty-four cans or bottles holding twelve or more ounces of beer, ale, or some similar such substance)... Lol that was part of my brief from the DZO when i got cleared for self supervision.... However, my only choice at that DZ was bud light.

Dumbass skydiver create accidents.
I was there when 150+ otter loads were turning in one day with out single accident.
One of the best facility and landing area in us.
Couple down side of this dz is
1. No recerculating wind tunnel
2. Nothing else besides skydiving
3. Even the strip joint sucked ass
4. And you can't jump there between nov thru feb

There's an 18 hole disc golf course now.

I had several people (Never even seen a dz) say that they would go if we werent going to sdc. I have also heard this from several other people who were interested in making a first skydive.

So I take it that you're within 'driving range' of SDC?

The explanation is simple. Every fatality or incident will make the local news. How local depends on what is (or is not) going on in the surrounding areas, but if it's a slow news day, it could make the evening news 150 or 200 miles away.

Back to what I was saying about the ratio of slots flown to incidents/fatalities, none of the people who watch the news reports have any idea of the massive number of slots flown at SDC, or that their incident rate isn't any worse than any other DZ. All they know is that SDC is 'always' in the news with an injured jumper or another fatality.

Since I started jumping, there have been 4 fatalities at the DZ I started at. The last one was a tandem that took both the TI and pax, so that's 3 incidents and 4 fatalities in 16 years. It's a far smaller DZ than SDC, so that explains the short list, but whuffos only see the length of the list, not the related factors that you or I might understand.

More skydive= more chance of injury/death.

If you want really wanna be safe go to an open field cessna dz and jump by yourself.

If one can not accept that fact tell them to stay in the little shit hole and enjoy their big three way star.

Lets say one dz does 500 way every single day for a whole year. Ill bet money that there will be more canopy collision, mid air collision, more people hooking themselves in. More mis rigging and so forth.

Ill take my chances and enjoy multiple otter running and do big way appropriate for my size and skill level, and do my best to keep my head on swivel and try my best to land saftly so i can do it all over again.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

If you want really wanna be safe go to an open field Cessna dz and jump by yourself. If one can not accept that fact tell them to stay in the little shit hole and enjoy their big three way star. my best to land safely so i can do it all over again.

I understand your point, but "little shit hole" is a bit harsh on small dropzones isn't it?

I've been to a few dz's where people sit around and whine about how bad SDC is, but I don't hear people at SDC talking crap about other dz's, so it seems a little one sided to me.

They don't abide by silly beer rules at SDC, so they are bound to have a few critics. ;)

And you would be WRONG:|

iMHO the beer rules are. 1st 100th 1000th and every 1000 there after. that's not too much to ask. and afik carved in stone everything else is neg.:P

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .