jraylitt

Fall rate

You want exact numbers, or what people use as rough every day approximations? Exact numbers will vary on every jump. Approximations:

- 115 to 125 mph typical terminal velocity in belly to earth
- About 12 seconds to reach that speed
- About 5 seconds per 1000 feet at that speed.
Remster

European or African?

Don't forget, it depends which hemisphere you're in, as the toilets flushing a different way have an effect on the amount of gravity pulling.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

You've got 37 jumps, & they didn't teach you this?

Average belly-to-earth freefall speed is 120MPH.

120MPH = 176 feet per second.

It takes about ten seconds to reach terminal.

@176FPS, 1K' is a hair over five seconds.

I'd love to give you a personal demonstration. Trouble is, it's been raining every F'ing weekend x at least six weeks. It's supposed to rain for the next seven days straight around here, as well>:(.

European or African?

Don't forget, it depends which hemisphere you're in, as the toilets flushing a different way have an effect on the amount of gravity pulling.[/reply

It will also dictate which way you will spin, due to the corealis effect, if you spin to the right in the northern hemisphere you will spin to the left in the southern hemisphere!
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

European or African?

To get back to serious considerations...

L&B products allow the choice of TAS-true airspeed or SAS-skydiver airspeed (SAS provides the choice to "normalize" the speed to what it would be at a std air density). The normalized (SAS) speed is better to use when discussing fall rates. It is regrettable that the Neptune doesn't seem to offer a similar normalized speed (the manual doesn't seem to have a choice). I don't know about other mfgs dataloggers.

To not use SAS means there will always be some error in the comparison due to the altitude at which the speed was measured.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I know you Asked for typical. However, I thought you might find it interesting that I had two big AFF students this weekend who fell at ~143 mph in stable belly flight. On the other hand I have heard of large, dense belly formations slow to almost 100 mph.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

So If I have an altitrack have it set to SAS.???

If everyone had instruments that had the choice to show a normalized speed, then it would be more valid to make comparisons.

It would be better if everyone realized that there is a difference, and when using fall rate numbers specified whether it was SAS, or TAS.

From L&B manual:

"TAS/SAS
Definitions
True Airspeed (TAS) and Skydiver’s Airspeed (SAS) are two methods of calculating the
airspeed of a moving/flying/falling object.
TAS is a term used in aviation: It is the speed of an object relative to the surrounding
air, regardless of the altitude.
SAS is a new concept developed by LARSEN & BRUSGAARD: SAS is the speed of a
skydiver calculated from measurements of air pressure and temperature and converted
to a fixed air pressure (875.3 mb) and a fixed temperature (+7.080C) which
corresponds to 4,000 feet ASL.
TAS
A skydiver’s True Airspeed (TAS) relative to the ground changes as a function of the
altitude (air pressure) and temperature which makes it difficult to compare fall-rates.
Example: A skydiver (in a fixed freefall position) who has a terminal fallrate of 62
meters/sec at 10,000 feet will have a terminal fallrate of 50 meters/sec at 3,000 feet.
It will be seen that the difference in altitude (air pressure) makes it difficult to
compare the fall-rates when measured using TAS.
SAS
The SAS formula calculates airspeed (using the same metrics used with TAS) as
though the complete skydive had been performed at a fixed air pressure and a fixed
temperature which corresponds to 4,000 feet ASL. 4,000 feet is chosen as the reference
altitude by LARSEN & BRUSGAARD since this is the average altitude at which
the working time of a skydive is normally ended.
Conclusion
Using SAS, skydivers in any body position can express their vertical speed by a
number (SAS). This number remains virtually constant regardless of altitude with
little or no variance due to temperature differences and can be compared with the
airspeeds of other skydivers.
This means that regardless of the elevation of the DZ you are jumping at, SKYDIVER’S
AIRSPEED (SAS) will be the same for the same body position.
SAS is very useful when doing big formation skydiving. If using TAS, it will seem like
the base is slowing down the fall rate during the entire skydive."
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am