DocPop

Packing for subterminal openings.

Does anyone change how they pack for sub-terminal openings?

I know about putting the risers over the riser covers or leaving them open, but anyone else have any other tricks?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I have always packed the same way for terminal or sub terminal even 13,000 ft hop and pop's for cross country.
Is there a recomendation for the specific gear you are using, if there is follow it or contact the mfg and ask questions.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

I am not aware of any specific recommendations.

Just wondering if there is something that people (CRWdogs? Pro-swoopers?) do to speed up the openings.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Just wondering if there is something that people (CRWdogs? Pro-swoopers?) do to speed up the openings.

I would think given your previous posts that you have a HP canopy coach or mentor?
If so why are you not asking them, you trust them to help keep yourself alive while learning HP canopy flight.

If you dont have a coach/mentor.

Good luck with not hurting yourself.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The riser cover thing is to help the opening open more evenly during a subterminal opening on an extreme loaded canopy. As for speeding up the opening, there isn't too much you can do that won't put much in play that could jeopardize the extreme small linesets with super high loadings.

Low drag "swoop suits" with extremely loaded canopies, full RDS and super small linesets (and some swoopers with large amounts of extra weight on their belts)...you're typically trying to protect the opening with the setup and speed to give the best opening and most consistent opening.

Speeding up the opening really isn't the goal, consistent openings are. Swoopers find the deployment speed that suits them the best. For me and my setup it is in the 100-110mph range. For others it is faster, for others it is slower.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Don't change anything. On a hop n pop, you're only a few seconds away from a terminal opening, so if for any reason you need to extend your delay, you just fucked yourself with your 'subterminal' pack job.

Don't screw with your risers either. If you have a brand new rig, and the tuck tabs on the riser covers (if you have tuck tabs) haven't broken in yet, you can reach up and just flip them open right before exit. Magnetic covers, or tuck tabs with 50+ jumps on them will work all the same even subterminal. You're going 75 or 80 mph before you even leave the step, it's not like your jumping a helo or baloon.

It's just a parachute and just a skydive. Don't overthink it.

I would think given your previous posts that you have a HP canopy coach or mentor?
If so why are you not asking them, you trust them to help keep yourself alive while learning HP canopy flight.

Well pardon me for having the audacity to ask a question here. :|

~ CanuckInUSA

Thanks AggieDave.

Interesting reading, but not really applicable to me now (but you knew that!). I did learn some stuff from your post though.

~ CanuckInUSA

Don't change anything. On a hop n pop, you're only a few seconds away from a terminal opening, so if for any reason you need to extend your delay, you just fucked yourself with your 'subterminal' pack job.

That makes perfect sense and it's so obvious I don't know why I didn't think of it.

I will take snivelly openings over slammers any day.

Thank you.

~ CanuckInUSA

That's my whole point.
You have put yourself at the Sharp end of the wedge, the single last place you should be seeking guidance is on the Net.
You should have a mentor/coach who you trust, on site, this is the person who knows you, your flying style, and all other pertinent info about trying to keep you alive unharmed whilst you repeatedly disregard standard saftey guidelines regarding canopy selection and flight.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

That's my whole point.
You have put yourself at the Sharp end of the wedge, the single last place you should be seeking guidance is on the Net.
You should have a mentor/coach who you trust, on site, this is the person who knows you, your flying style, and all other pertinent info about trying to keep you alive unharmed whilst you repeatedly disregard standard saftey guidelines regarding canopy selection and flight.

Thank you. I have two mentors at the DZ. One of which is the S&TA and both swoop Velocities.

I don't see that asking here for a wider opinion on packing techniques is irresponsible. I think you're just looking for a reason to have a pop at me.

~ CanuckInUSA

Thank you. I have two mentors at the DZ. One of which is the S&TA and both swoop Velocities.

I don't see that asking here for a wider opinion on packing techniques is irresponsible. I think you're just looking for a reason to have a pop at me.

Nope dont need to havew a pop at you I think the ground will do that soon enough;) (ok that was a little pop)

Might be my age but I seek guidance and advice from people who know and and people whoes opinion i value and trust.
Granted there's a couple of people here that I would have no problem asking but thats after knowing them for 9 years on here.

for all life saving and pointy end parachuting stuff I ALWAYS go to the people I can stand infront of.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

As others have pretty much said, you aren't doing a low altitude BASE jump so normally there's no change in packing. And it is nice to have a canopy set up that it doesn't matter if the type of jump changes or you are late on the pull.

But if one say had a hard opening canopy where one rolls the snot out of the nose (to coin an expression), then for subterminal one could avoid the rolling.

Generally to speed openings, the technique would be to expose the nose more. Don't roll the nose, don't stuff back into the pack job, but keep it exposed and spread out front, maybe even with the tail not rolled around the nose, with the center cell nose well spread open to catch the air. More like a BASE or reserve pack job.

when people come up to me and ask them to pack faster opening
I go "so you want me to pack it slider down or slider collapsed??""
and they go " just pack it the way it was."

and when they bug me with the dumbass request I do the opposite by rolling the shit out of the nose.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

when people come up to me and ask them to pack faster opening
I go "so you want me to pack it slider down or slider collapsed??""
and they go " just pack it the way it was."

and when they bug me with the dumbass request I do the opposite by rolling the shit out of the nose.

That's why I don't use packers!

~ CanuckInUSA

Straight, even, clean pro pack with the slider set properly for sub terminal, same for terminal. It works on big, small, fully elliptical and slightly tapered canopies.

That's what I do.

"Just pack it the way it was!" That's really funny, I'll tell my packer the next time I see him! :D

Hey, Docpop? I distinctly remember telling you to jump more, did you do that? :D

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I find this thread interesting and my interest is purely academic so please correct me if I'm wrong.

What about a mesh slider? It could be a real smacker at terminal or even nearing terminal, but I would think the jumper could dial it in a bit with the pack job from there (nose presentation, rolling, etc.)

I agree that the manufacturer would probably have the best answer, but I'm just curious about the slider.

Mesh sliders certainly will provide a much quicker opening. Maybe even too quick.

Also, have you ever changed a slider? It's the biggest pain in the ass to do and not something you would want to do between loads. If you plan on a career of subterminal openings, then it would be worthwhile, but for one or two jumps, no way.

PS. However, I do have a number of mesh sliders for sale if anyone is interested!
Jump more, post less!

Mesh sliders certainly will provide a much quicker opening. Maybe even too quick.

Also, have you ever changed a slider? It's the biggest pain in the ass to do and not something you would want to do between loads. If you plan on a career of subterminal openings, then it would be worthwhile, but for one or two jumps, no way.

PS. However, I do have a number of mesh sliders for sale if anyone is interested!

Isn't is easier to get a faster opening by just packing faster? ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I find this thread interesting and my interest is purely academic so please correct me if I'm wrong.

What about a mesh slider? It could be a real smacker at terminal or even nearing terminal, but I would think the jumper could dial it in a bit with the pack job from there (nose presentation, rolling, etc.)

I agree that the manufacturer would probably have the best answer, but I'm just curious about the slider.

My slider is partially mesh right now.

~ CanuckInUSA