skypuppy

tennis elbow

and I don't even play tennis. The doc gave me some anti-inflammatories but after about 15 days they didn't seem to be working so I stopped taking them. But now the arm is worse. Unfortunately it's the right arm and I'm right-handed. And I do have some renovations I have to get done.

Any suggestions?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

A brace I picked up at Walgreens worked great for me to relieve some of the pain. I also did some physical therapy exercises I found online which was also helpful.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

and I don't even play tennis. The doc gave me some anti-inflammatories but after about 15 days they didn't seem to be working so I stopped taking them. But now the arm is worse. Unfortunately it's the right arm and I'm right-handed. And I do have some renovations I have to get done.

Any suggestions?

Just curious: what does your doctor say about this? (I mean now, not 15 days ago.)

are you sure it's Lateral epicondylitis ?

I've been misdiagnosed on several occasions, I've did my homework better than my doctors. not saying you cant trust a doctor, I'm just saying that you can't trust doctors.

I've had lateral and medial epicondylitis, as well as cubital tunnel issues.. mostly all diagnosed as carpal tunnel. I've even been given NSAIDs and PT for what would be confirmed as a bone spur.

point is, be your own advocate. do your own reading/homework.. save yourself some trouble and pain in the long run. remember it is your body and your money. make sure they listen to you.

usual disclaimers apply ;)

DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

The doctor at the clinic had said if the anti-inflammatories didn't work I may need a shot of cortisone in the elbow. I'm of mixed emotions on this.

The pharmicist said if the drugs didn't work they could up the dosage. I am not sure about doing this either.

It isn't really that easy to get into the doctor up here. There's usually a waiting list of at least a few days, unless I just go to a clinic, and I had the impression that for follow-up on this they would prefer I go to my own doctor, who I don't really get along with too well.

I don't have insurance for pt or chiro so I had hoped not to need it. The problem is how can you not use your right arm?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I had the cortisone shot and wore the elbowband for a while. Nothing really helped.....

Then a physical therapist that I did some rock climbing with suggested a stretch for it. I was really skeptical but had to try it. The pain went away in a week or two and never had the problem again.

It may be difficult to explain in text, but will try if you want me to.

Jump more, post less!

I have fought "golfers" elbow before, last year it got really bad. I did a couple of rounds with corticosteroids. Those with rest and I got better. The little bands you can wear around the elbow helped. NSAIDs didn't help me at all...

Check with an ortho instead of a GP, you'll get set in the right direction.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I had the cortisone shot and wore the elbowband for a while. Nothing really helped.....

Then a physical therapist that I did some rock climbing with suggested a stretch for it. I was really skeptical but had to try it. The pain went away in a week or two and never had the problem again.

It may be difficult to explain in text, but will try if you want me to.

I've been dealing with off & on pain there for years now, so I'm listening, Craig... Or watching maybe if you can pull out the vid cam & up it to YouTube or something :)

Chris

Okay, but I'm no model!

Give me a week to get the video and post it, or have the video guy do it.

Honestly, I never thought it would make a difference, but it did. I was to the point of dimished strength and endurance in my right hand, and as a dentist it was really effecting my ability to work. Now, no problems, no shots, no drugs, and more importantly, no pain.

Sounds like an infomercial!!!

Jump more, post less!

I dealt with very similar issues over the last 3-4 years. Sport and military jumping combined with on-the-job and typical daily use saw condition continue to worsen. Rounds of NSAIDs, PT, injections, and braces brought little to no relief or temporary relief. What helped me beat it and feel like NEW was Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy. Spec Op orthopedic surgeon referred me to a civilian orthopedic clinic (Andrews Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Center, near Pensacola), where he had access and privileges.

Anyway… The PRP is what did the trick for me. These kinds on injuries are VERY difficult to heal as we are always using the tendons and ligaments in that area e.g. they rarely get a rest. Icing can temporarily reduce inflammation, but you need a mechanism to get blood flow to an area that has very little blood flow (tendons and ligaments) to promote healing.

Now, I obviously didn’t pay for the treatment and a single injection of your own plasma can get pricy ~$700 (+/-). However, knowing what I know now, I would do it again out of pocket. The improvement was that profound. This improvement didn’t happen overnight, but over the course of about 7-10 days I could see incredible improvements in reduced inflammation, range of motion, etc.

Consult your physician, read some literature and form your own opinion. I’m a believer.
Don't be sexist… Broads hate that.

I have had lots of problems with my whole right arm, caused by computer mouse usage - which is my daily job... :-(

At some point I invested in a touch pad (apple user) and all of the pain went away in about a month or two. I think it was all about the changing hand movements, especially the muscles which are involved in clicking objects....

just an idea, but might help you...

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de