mixedup

is it a worry having to land yourself on the 2nd jump of the course?

Hi,

Just strongly considering starting an AFF course. What I'm wondering about is that from stage 2 (where you do your 2nd jump), whilst you're with 2x instructors in the air, once the shoot is properly up it seems you're by yourself to land if I'm reading things correctly. Assuming this is the case I guess my questions would be:

Q1 - This seems a bit risky to have to land by yourself on the 2nd jump no?

Q2 - I see there is a Tandem option as well. Would it be correct to say here you lower the risk re landing with little experience but perhaps sacrifice just a little of "true" skydiving technique? i.e. because perhaps in tandem the flying is a little different - noting the instructor with you?

Q3 - Any recommendations overall re which of the paths to take when learning for your 2-4th stage (i.e. 2nd to 4th jump I think this roughly equates to)? i.e. Tandem Assisted vs AFF? Perhaps it should be Tandem assisted until you're comfortable with landing yourself?

Stages 2 – 4
Stages 2 onwards can be TAF or AFF, the choice is yours. For TAF courses, these jumps are made in Tandem. For AFF courses, the jumps are made with two instructors who accompany you for the 60 second freefall until you deploy your parachute.

TAF = Tandem Assisted Freefall Course
AFF = Accelerated Freefall Skydiving Course

Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

They go over everything a lot with you in your First Free Fall ground class. Also, you will have a radio to be able to listen to you instructor telling you when to flair, etc. Just stay aware of your surroundings, and it really isn't bad.

thanks zerospinskier - so are you kind of implying that the trickiest part then is the freefall/chute opening, and that the landing is less difficult in comparison? I mean I have no idea of course because I haven't jumped :) I guess I did have a look at the accident areas of skydiving and it seemed like the landing in particular had a large percentage of issues, so I guess that's what made me wonder why they would have a course where you have to land by yourself on the 2nd jump (if that makes sense)

Landing yourself isn't bad your first time. I stood it up and walked out of it, because Im awesomeB|. Most students I watch land do just as well too their first time, because they're awesome. Some fall, you may or may not. Learn to PLF from your instructors.

I was nervous about my pattern to land in the proper area, it went fine. My instructor asked me to swing my legs on radio just so he knew I could here him while under canopy. They'll let you know when to turn if you get into a bad spot and tell you when to flare.

Always look around every way you can under canopy to see where others are flying their canopy, steer clear of them. Even yell to others close by so they see you.

Have fun being awesome!

What are not in those statistics is that in those landings where injuries occurred, they skydiver was most likely performing a high performance landing (something you will not be doing on your first jump), or flying a canopy that they are not prepared to fly (a canopy that is too small, or too high performance for their skills). Like stated above, you will learn a lot in your first jump course. By the end you will have the necessary skills to successfully complete your first jump.

First, at most DZ's they give students walkie talkies to aid in landing. Second if you pay attention to your instructors and your good at picking up spacial variables you don't really even need a walkie talkie. For example my second AFF jump we had a long spot and I knew I wouldn't make it back to the landing area(my instructors kicked ass!!), so I did what I was told in first jump course. I found an open area next to a road and started circling it before my instructors landed. I cracked up when my instructor said I wouldn't make it back and to find an open area. No shit Sherlock. It's good to be concerned, but don't sweat it too much.

I did my first jumps all by myself, and that was without radio too. As do most if not all Dutch students. Most of us manage just fine on our own, even first timers :)
Just pay attention during class, you'll learn all you need to know there. You'll also get a biggish parachute and will be jumping in good jumping conditions at first, so if you do what you're told you can land yourself just fine.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Its not gonna be as bad as you think. The canopy you're gonna use will be very forgiving.

If you're still concerned, watch a bunch of people land from the ground. Watch when and how they pull the brakes with an instructor or someone experienced commentating for you.

I just started my AFF last week. After completing the class I successfully made my first two jumps. I had no prior experience with the sport, not even tandem, but I was able to successfully land both times. The first time I kind of slid in a little, and the second time I practiced a PLF.

It can be intimidating, but the best way to combat it is to listen and take in everything your instructors are telling you. You will have a radio attached to your harness so they can also help guide you through it. Pay attention to your altitude and instructor and it'll be a breeze.

thanks for all the comments

it's kind of funny as I was thinking landing would be harder than just free falling - but it seems then they pay more attention being with you during the free fall stage in fact (for a few jumps) but let you land by yourself almost straight away :)
looking up dates for when I can book my first lesson....

it's kind of funny as I was thinking landing would be harder than just free falling

Well... the ground IS harder than air.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

thanks for all the comments

it's kind of funny as I was thinking landing would be harder than just free falling - but it seems then they pay more attention being with you during the free fall stage in fact (for a few jumps) but let you land by yourself almost straight away :)
looking up dates for when I can book my first lesson....

I'm not sure if you are not understanding this or just not comprehending it, you wear a radio that after the freefall part of the skydive your instructors talk you in over the radio telling you when to turn, flare, etc...

Several people have mentioned having a radio on your first few jumps. While most places do this you should NOT rely on the radio. Radios can and DO fail to work some times. Your FJC (first jump course) will go over all of the information you need to have to be able to fly and land your own canopy without assistance and you should always be prepared to do so.

Just like an ADD, a radio is a backup device and should not be relied on.

Welcome to the sky.