mjosparky

Ground winds?????

Does anyone know why USPA lists Maximum ground winds and minimum distances to the nearest hazard for “solo” students but mention nothing about tandems? I thought tandem passengers were considered students.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yes, tandem students are considered students, but their instructors are considered senior jumpers with the judgement to land on the DZ no matter what the winds.
Both categories risk dragging after landing, but TIs are expected to anticipate dragging and solve the problem before it starts to hurt.
Also, the better TIs learn not to trust ground crew and most have learned how to collapse canopies before the ground crew reach them.

Does anyone know why USPA lists Maximum ground winds and minimum distances to the nearest hazard for “solo” students but mention nothing about tandems? I thought tandem passengers were considered students.

This same question is asked of the USPA Safety and Training committee nearly every time (that I can remember) that there has been a well known or much discussed tandem landing incident when the winds were high or turbulent.

The opinion and answer to that question has always been that the tandem instructor is a very experienced skydiver that can make their own decisions about the wind they (and their student) are comfortable jumping in.

And indeed, with the wide variety of wingloadings and other variations in the amount of drive and manuverability of a particular tandem jump, it would be nearly impossible to state a limit that would not be too restrictive for some situations.

If tandem instructors would be conservative in their decision making process, then all would be well. As to whether that is happening, and whether that is good or bad, well, the debate begins (again).

What am I supposed to do with that? USPA doesn't mention it in the BSR's.

Sparky

Read it. If there's no stated limit, then there is no limit. That's kinda the point.

I have read it, and the question was does anyone know why.

Sparky

This same question is asked of the USPA Safety and Training committee nearly every time (that I can remember) that there has been a well known or much discussed tandem landing incident when the winds were high or turbulent.

The opinion and answer to that question has always been that the tandem instructor is a very experienced skydiver that can make their own decisions about the wind they (and their student) are comfortable jumping in.

And indeed, with the wide variety of wingloadings and other variations in the amount of drive and manuverability of a particular tandem jump, it would be nearly impossible to state a limit that would not be too restrictive for some situations.

If tandem instructors would be conservative in their decision making process, then all would be well. As to whether that is happening, and whether that is good or bad, well, the debate begins (again).

I wonder if it has anything to do with keeping the cash cow in the air and so many of the people making the decision own a cash cow.

Sparky

I wonder if it has anything to do with keeping the cash cow in the air and so many of the people making the decision own a cash cow.

Sparky

Or to rephrase that in a less emotive way:

"I wonder if it is to allow DZOs to make decisions based on their own dropzones and personal experience so that they can continue to run an effective business."
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Sparky

"I wonder if it is to allow DZOs to make decisions based on their own dropzones and personal experience so that they can continue to run an effective business."

DZO’s have been known to make decisions that are not in the best interest of the jumpers involved. Once again you have stepped outside of your area of expertise.

Sparky

DZO’s have been known to make decisions that are not in the best interest of the jumpers involved. Once again you have stepped outside of your area of expertise.

Sparky

Humans do that. It is in our nature to be imperfect.

However, the DZO is on the ground at the time the decision needs to be made, affording them the best dataset on which to base a decision. What they do with that dataset is up to them, but it is a dataset that would not have been available when/if a committee somewhere made up a rule.

You asked a question, I put forth an idea. If you would like to limit your responses in future, please mark the question "Only for people with >1,000 jumps" or "Not for DocPop".;)
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Sparky

Sparky

Sparky

He is just defending his DZOs decision over there at Skydive Midwest on the canopy collapse incident that happened over there over the weekend.