mixedup

a few questions after AFF stage 1 jump

Can't make it out for the AFF course stage 2 jumps quite yet (so I've just done my first stage - fantastic stuff) and have a few questions...can't resist posting/asking here...

a) In the AFF course does it include learning to do "coordinated turns" that I've been reading about? i.e. turn with harness input http://www.dropzone.com/content/Detailed/696.html

b) re "coordinated turns" - if you turn right, which way do you actually lean in the harness? I couldn't quite work it out/imagine it when reading...

c) I read this somewhere - "Don't track up or down the line of flight" - what does this mean? I'm guessing don't track over the DZ landing area/pattern?

d) We got taught (if my memory serves me correct) that for a "two canopies out - byplane" you could attempt to land (very slow turns, no flare). In the log book I have it kind of implies that for any kind of "two canopies out" to cut away. For the byplane situation (one behind the other) is there a correct answer here?

e) are there any malfunctions that could occur after you have had a good chute flying for a while? I don't recall in training any process/steps that require you to keep watching/monitoring altitude for the >2500' safe to go to reserve. Or in other words, once you've had a good chute flying, and you're not doing anything outlandish, can you assume the chute will be good until landing, hence as such not need to follow a mental awareness procedure re being aware when you're still over the 2500' for a safe reserve deployment?

f) I heard that there are "belly bands" and these increase safety, but people don't typically use as they're not that cool... Question is anyway as a beginner is this something I should be asking for during my AFF course?

g) we didn't have an audible (just altimeter) - would it be a good idea (i.e. be that little bit safer) to ask for an audible when learning? (or perhaps they want to teach people solid use of the altimeter first?)

cheers

PS I gather I should say blue skies here, but on my first jump we fell through clouds at 7000' and it was fantastic :)
Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

Can't make it out for the AFF course stage 2 jumps quite yet (so I've just done my first stage - fantastic stuff) and have a few questions...can't resist posting/asking here...

a) In the AFF course does it include learning to do "coordinated turns" that I've been reading about? i.e. turn with harness input http://www.dropzone.com/content/Detailed/696.html

b) re "coordinated turns" - if you turn right, which way do you actually lean in the harness? I couldn't quite work it out/imagine it when reading...

c) I read this somewhere - "Don't track up or down the line of flight" - what does this mean? I'm guessing don't track over the DZ landing area/pattern?

d) We got taught (if my memory serves me correct) that for a "two canopies out - byplane" you could attempt to land (very slow turns, no flare). In the log book I have it kind of implies that for any kind of "two canopies out" to cut away. For the byplane situation (one behind the other) is there a correct answer here?

e) are there any malfunctions that could occur after you have had a good chute flying for a while? I don't recall in training any process/steps that require you to keep watching/monitoring altitude for the >2500' safe to go to reserve. Or in other words, once you've had a good chute flying, and you're not doing anything outlandish, can you assume the chute will be good until landing, hence as such not need to follow a mental awareness procedure re being aware when you're still over the 2500' for a safe reserve deployment?

f) I heard that there are "belly bands" and these increase safety, but people don't typically use as they're not that cool... Question is anyway as a beginner is this something I should be asking for during my AFF course?

g) we didn't have an audible (just altimeter) - would it be a good idea (i.e. be that little bit safer) to ask for an audible when learning? (or perhaps they want to teach people solid use of the altimeter first?)

cheers

PS I gather I should say blue skies here, but on my first jump we fell through clouds at 7000' and it was fantastic :)

a) I don't know if it's in the materials at your DZ. Ask your instructor.

b) right

c) Don't track or fly your canopy up or down the line of flight of the jump plane. You could wind up deploying or flying under someone still in free fall.

d) Cutting away a 2 out can cause worse problems. the main when released could compromise the reserve. For bi-plane, smooth and slow turns. You want to keep them together.

e) In turbulence your canopy could collapse. Thats the only thing I can think of with your "nothing outlandish" qualifier.

f) no

g) At Elsinore students don't use audibles. Think of them as a back up. You should be using your primary alti.

I just finished my A license a month or so back. I'm sure others will chime in. I don't think I've said anything too stupid.

Have fun!

you need to print your post out and take it with you next time you go to the dz. SHOW it to an INSTRUCTOR.

too much information can be as bad or worse than not enough.

a. nope
b. toggles turn you canopy for now
c. the line of flight on jump run is where other people will still be in freefall or under canopy. if they get out before you, they will most likely be under canopy. after you, in freefall. you want to track perpendicular to the line of flight.
d. ask instructor
e. yes- self induced line twists, canopy collision, im sure there are plenty others
f. swoopers use belly bands because they loosen or take off their chest strap, it is not necessary for most jumpers
g. solid use of altimeter
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."