JesseJumper

Post 1st Jump sickness? (Hours after)

Hi everyone!

I am proud to say that after many years of wanting to take the plunge, I did so today (tandem)!! It was not like anything I could have expected (and trust me I tried to figure out what it was going to be like via the www). Here's the thing:

It's hours later and I feel extremely out of it. I feel weak, exhausted, and quite honestly dazed. Is this the adrenaline wearing off from a very 'extreme sport' experience or could I be suffering from some sort of altitude sickness or something crazy like that? I did feel like I was having trouble getting good breaths due to the rushing air during free fall.

Any help, reassurance, or advice would be really appreciated!!

Maybe I can help you here. Your adrenaline was forced into a hyper-active state. For me, when this happens I'm in a total state of Zen. Everything that happens is it's own moment and the usual after effects are that of exhaustion and euphoria...

It happens when you do anything that you are HIGHLY concerned about and then live through.

It happened to me on my first jump. It happened to me on my first wingsuit jump. It happens to me everytime I downsize a canopy.

What you are feeling is nowmal! You jumped out of a plane in flight and lived. Some people never want these moments, while others chase them (I'm the latter).

As far as breathing during freefall, just do it like normal. The act of taking air into your lungs is no different at 13,000" than it is at ground level.
Muff #5048

Hangover???;)

Apart from too many after jump beers, this doesn't sound like the normal post jump reaction.Sounds like motion sickness, just unusual to have it hours after the event. Inner ear is where this originates....

As for the breathing, many first timers take a huge breath and then forget to exhale....consequently the common statement: "I couldn't breathe" in freefall.

My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I guess I'll just chalk it up to nerves, adrenaline and sun exposure. Really though it felt hard to breath (at least with my mouth open) as the air was being rammed into my nose and mouth (I had to breath through my teeth as the video instructed).

Thinking about hitting the static line next time to see if I've got the guts to be the one who bails out at 14 thousand...

Not sure how I'm going to afford this hobby in a long term scenario :$

Thanks John! I saw some cool helmets with face shields on the licensed jumpers on our load that I kind of wish I couldve used to enjoy my jump more (but the obvious safety reasons restrict that). Cest La Vie

But I notice you are an instructor at Kapowsin! I did my jump at Snohomish today, maybe I'll come down there for my next jump

On problem I have seen with first time jumpers is they are so pumped up about jumping that they forget to hydrate. When you are amped, nervous and full of adrenalin you also pea more than normal adding to dehydration. If you are still felling bad tomorrow take 2 glasses of water and I will bill you later.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

i recent;y did my first two aff jumps in one day, my body was tingling all over for a few hours from the adrenalin. Then a few hours later i felt like i got hit by a bus and felt the need for an imediate nap!! you put your body through something VERY different , its going to have a different reaction than your used to!
Wait , I pull what first?

I'm resurrecting a month-old post here, but the evenings after my first two days of AFF jumps, I also felt completely out of sorts. I actually started doing internet searches for "post-skydive feeling".

While I can't be sure what your sensations were like, I felt a little manic: almost buzzing with energy but completely exhausted at the same time. It made me think of how one might feel the morning after pulling a stimulant fueled all-nighter.

The first time was the evening after my first jump course and AFF Cat-A; the second time was after doing my Cat-B, C, and D1 in the same day.

I just attributed it to the all-day emotional ups and downs:

Nervous pulling up to the DZ, calm in the class, nervous learning safety drills, calm practicing safety drills, nervous suiting up, calm checking my gear, nervous getting on the plane, calm going up, crazy going to the door, super crazy exit, calm descent, crazy pull, nervous control check, calm flight to holding area, nervous about landing pattern, calm landing...

Do that a few times in one day and it would make anyone feel "out of it"! I wouldn't worry about it, friend. :)

Hi everyone!

I am proud to say that after many years of wanting to take the plunge, I did so today (tandem)!! It was not like anything I could have expected (and trust me I tried to figure out what it was going to be like via the www). Here's the thing:

It's hours later and I feel extremely out of it. I feel weak, exhausted, and quite honestly dazed. Is this the adrenaline wearing off from a very 'extreme sport' experience or could I be suffering from some sort of altitude sickness or something crazy like that? I did feel like I was having trouble getting good breaths due to the rushing air during free fall.

Don't take any serious medical advice from me, but I'd bet that it is entirely due to the emotional and physiological highs and lows you experienced. I felt the exact same way for the rest of the day after my first tandem. I totally crashed a few hours after the jump. Just dog tired. Dazed and out of it.

It was a year and a half before I started my AFF jumps, and I had the same feeling when I started again. But it wasn't unpleasant at all.

Even still, I get so excited by the jumps that at the end of the day, especially after two or three jumps.... I'm ready for sleep. I usually sleep GREAT after a day of skydiving.

Breathing problems aren't uncommon when you first start skydiving. I don't know the science behind it, but I think that your body just doesn't know what to do with itself in such an extreme position. On my first jump I wasn't able to breathe at ALL during freefall. I learned later that I couldn't breathe IN because I soon as I left the plane I took a huge breath and never did breathe it OUT.

Your body may react in weird ways when you do something as completely unnatural as jumping out of an airplane. :)

Congratulations on your jump!

My first two jumps were tandem, i was very motion sick after the first one it was from not being in control. flew the canopy around on the second and it was better. once I was flying myself I never experienced motion sickness again.

Also in addition to staying hydrated it's important to eat a good meal too, don't stuff yourself but your body needs fuel for the adrenalin to burn.

Hi everyone!

You should drink an entire pot of coffee followed immediately by a case of beer. This method works for me.

i remember after my first jump my body was literally buzzing, and then i went home and passed out haha. its a lot for your body to go through so im not surprised you felt tired and fatigued. it gets better!
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"