jimmurt

Employer's attitudes to skydivers

They didn't mind me jumping, but went nuts when they found out I played rugby. I had to tell them when the season started and ended. Said they couldn't depend on rugby players being there in one piece on Monday's.

Rugby?? If you did that in NZ you would probably get a cuddle from the boss for playing a game over the weekend... :-)

Yup, I had this come up during a meeting where the managements made some empty threats to fire me. "You're too much of a skydiver, it bothers your co workers!".

I keep a low profile on it mostly now, when I'm asked what I did on my vacation, I tell them about all the sight seeing and shopping I did. If they ask if I still jump, I say, "Oh, and I did some 100-way skydiving too."
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I work on Space Shuttle cargo at Kennedy Space Ctr. My boss thought it was great the way I spent the morning on Monday. But, then again, we're going out of business, so I guess it's no big deal...

Working for Bechtel Corp for 10 years I would miss the political picnics and barbeques, golf matches too.

The only time I made the company picnics was when I jumped into them.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

I'm neutral at work. If someone asks me 1 on 1 what my hobbies are I won't hide it however if we have some kind of ice breaker where we say what our hobbies are in a group I keep my mouth shut since I don't want the ice breaker to turn into a 20 minute Q&A on Skydiving. (it’s happen before)

There are about 1200 people in my office. I like that I know every time someone does their 1st tandem because as soon as someone says anything about skydiving it's "go talk to jeff".

Of course with 90 jumps I'm a pro and they ask if I can be their tandem master :P

Some of these stories are a bit disconserting at the moment either people don't care or are very interested in what I am doing with my limited free time. And in the next few months I will be looking around to see if other pastures are better or not and I may have to hide how much enjoyment this sport provides
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I've been pleasantly surprised by the fact that the U.S. Army hasn't tried to prohibit yet. I guess the fact that the Golden Knights are so popular helps a little bit.

I have had to sign a "safety pledge" in which one of the lines says "I will not take any unneccessary risks" ...which I always signed because to me skydiving is a necessity!! :D

Bump.

Had an interview today and when the interviewee looked at my recent employments and saw that I worked at a skydiving dropzone, she had a million questions about if I was wreckless/dangerous/etc...then she proceeded to ask about some old fatalities she heard about that happened in the area...it took me talking about my other job for her to finally lighten up and get off the subject :S>:(