jimmurt

Employer's attitudes to skydivers

Has any ever experienced negative responses from work management when they found out one of your hobbies was skydiving.

I was on a project in the states last year for a couple of months. At a company lunch a workmate was asked what we were getting up to in our spare time. Agmonst other things he mentioned I was starting a skydiving course. He called me later that day to give me a heads up as he said he might have got me in trouble. I thought the worst. When he told me he had 'let it slip' that I was skydiving, I nearly fell off my chair laughing. I told him it wasn't a secret and not to worry about it. Apparently the HR director of the company we were working for was non too happy about me doing the AFF course (note: the other main activity he mentioned we were doing was boozing to which nobody batted an eyelid!). My boss called me in the next day to ask me about the course. I explained it all to him about the groundschool, safety training etc and also pointed out that what I did at the weekends was my own business (not an illegal activity after all).

Recently I got another bad response in a job interview so I was wondering is this common and has anyone out there experienced this?
Maybe I should look for work at a dropzone.

also pointed out that what I did at the weekends was my own business

It is. And it's also a horrific thing to say unless you like working in confrontational environments.

How about "I work hard, and I also like the play hard" or "I find it helps me manage my stress and perform better in all aspects of my life", or "some of the coaching techniques I learned have helped me in coaching situations at work".

Maybe I should look for work at a dropzone.

Do you like Ramen noodles? ;)
Remster

I don't think it's a horrific thing to say at all in fairness. Do you think bosses have the right to dictate to employees what they do in their spare time, especially when it's a legal sport? My boss actually said fair enough and it was left at that.

I do like Ramen Noodles, pork is my favourite.

Regarding the job interview, it was on my resume. I could take it out but I'm too stubborn I guess. Taking it off the resume would be like admitting it's wrong and if I don't get a job because of it, well so be it. It was only one person who reacted that way out of four.

That sucks I hope you can find a better place to work.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

People are ignorant. A lot of people who hear that you (or I) skydive have absolutely no knowledge of the sport and assume its exponentially more dangerous than it actually is and the only reason you skydive is because you are suicidal. I think the best approach when the subject comes up and someone reacts like that is either smile and change the subject or, if you are feeling more patient, educate them on the sport a bit so they are more informed.
http://www.mixcloud.com/prajna
http://vimeo.com/avidya

A few years ago a former student with a fresh PhD asked my advice on this issue. She was interviewing for a job. I said it depends on the context, and how you have sized up your interviewer. Anyway, after the interview she told me she spoke about her skydiving (she is very active) during the interview.

A couple of weeks later she called to say that she got the job. One of the reasons they told her that they picked her was they perceived her as a risk taker, in the positive sense, due to the skydiving.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

People are ignorant. A lot of people who hear that you (or I) skydive have absolutely no knowledge of the sport and assume its exponentially more dangerous than it actually is and the only reason you skydive is because you are suicidal. I think the best approach when the subject comes up and someone reacts like that is either smile and change the subject or, if you are feeling more patient, educate them on the sport a bit so they are more informed.

I went with the second option with my boss. We get on well with each other. Maybe reading what I said earlier, it might have came across differently.
My point is, tell people you spent the weekend drinking and you get a positive reponse (maybe it's because I'm Irish, I don't know). Tell them you were learning to skydive and you're nearly looked upon as being reckless.

"I could take it out but I'm too stubborn I guess."

Prospective employers are viewing you as a package. Participation in a high-risk sport (of which they are most likely very ignorant) would definitely go in the negative column. You haven't invented a better lightbulb for them, yet. All they'll see is potential medical bills & disability. It's up to you.

A few years ago a former student with a fresh PhD asked my advice on this issue. She was interviewing for a job. I said it depends on the context, and how you have sized up your interviewer. Anyway, after the interview she told me she spoke about her skydiving (she is very active) during the interview.

A couple of weeks later she called to say that she got the job. One of the reasons they told her that they picked her was they perceived her as a risk taker, in the positive sense, due to the skydiving.

True, I remember a few years ago I was told to take reading out of my hobbies section on my resume as an interviewer might judge me as a loner or a person who couldn't as part of a team.
Bit over the top I thought.

I am a Safety Supervisor, I am not looked down on in the safety community, most think that it is great and see the safety aspects that are involved with the sport.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

I use to jump into the company picnics every year so it was no secret. When I worked nights sometimes I would do a bandit jump into the parking lot at lunch, a buddy ran a helicopter school down the block from the plant I was working at...quick trip up was fun for both of us.

Some people thought I was a but nuts, but as a supervisor sometimes that can be a GOOD thing! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I don't see why it would be a problem that you're a skydiver

Unless you're trying to get someone to make you an integral part of their business, or have you handle a major project that the business is counting on.

A guy who's a skydiver, in the eyes of a whuffo, stands a much better chance of ending up on crutches or in the hospital after a weekend than a guy who's into golf, or coaching his son's little league team. If you had to choose between two similar candidates for a job, and one was a 'risk taker' and the other a 'family man', you go with the family man to help ensure the success of the project.

There is the chance that being a 'risk taker' might appeal to some bosses, but I'd be willing to bet that more bosses would lean toward steady and reliable as far as personality traits, then when you blend in possibility of missing work due to injury, and the related costs to the company, the vote has to go toward keeping it to yourself.

Unless you are required to disclose such things to yoru employer, then keeping to yourself won't ever hurt you. However, for the above reasons, sharing it with your employers may cast you in a negative light.

My boss has gone on a diet so he can come out and do a tandem jump. He has also voiced concerns about making sure people around me are up to date on what I am working on in case I am injured.
It's time for my nightly ritual: Pleasure myself, weep, and repeat.

They didn't mind me jumping, but went nuts when they found out I played rugby. I had to tell them when the season started and ended. Said they couldn't depend on rugby players being there in one piece on Monday's.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Regarding the job interview, it was on my resume.

That was interesting to me. Do people actually put hobbies on resumes? I don't have or put any on mine. I keep my personal life out of my work life except when coworkers become friends. None of anyone's business.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

The response has been very positive. I even regularly help plan trips to the dz for physics and astronomy students at the college where I teach. Just last weekend, one of the science instructors and I took out a group of ten to do tandems. Some of the administrators have said they'd like to come, but I always manage to forget to let them know a trip is coming. I am pretty well behaved, but there are things that just need to stay at the dz. :$

"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I second what dave said. it all depends on your level in the company. if you are a to be a critical part in a project/management you may have to refrain from jumping.

highly paid athletes have contracts where they can't even ride a motorcycle, let alone skydive.

Regarding the job interview, it was on my resume.

That was interesting to me. Do people actually put hobbies on resumes? I don't have or put any on mine. I keep my personal life out of my work life except when coworkers become friends. None of anyone's business.

Over here we use CV's which are very similar to Resumes but are structured a little different. On most CVs you would have an 'Interest and Activites' section. To not have this section would look very bad. I used the word resume as the majority of posters are in the US.

I've had a complete range of attitudes from employers. Some think its amazing, others don't care and same have a negative attitude and think I am too high risk.

Take the safe option and don't mention it during interviews.

As for current employers they'll probably be concerned for a while but then will get over it when you keep turning up to work.