btvr

intermediate to advanced canopy experience

On canopy manufacturers web sites they give a wingloading recommendation for a specific canopies. 0.9 novice, 1.1 intermediate, 1.3 advanced. Now I know a lot has to do with each individual jumper's ability but there must be an average. This would be for a 7/9 cell like a sabre, pilot, storm..ect... Not high performance. Whats everyones opinion?

I'd say that jump numbers aren't enough. You can say that nobody with less than X will qualify as 'advanced', for example, but there will still be a hell of a lot of people with that number who still don't qualify.

Wherever you set that number though, it doesn't include me.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

A good explanation from the horse's mouth.

One thing that's not stated in those descriptions is when they say things like, "haven't had a whole lot of experience with certain situations" or "Experience and practice will have taught him or her how to deal effectively with unexpected situations" there's an implied, "...on a canopy no more than about 10-15% larger than the one in question." By which I mean that every time you downsize you take a step back down the "novice -> intermediate -> advanced -> expert" ladder.

I could toss out what I consider reasonable ballpark numbers of jumps it takes to climb a rung but I'm not sure there's much point in doing so. How exactly do you calculate the average number of jumps it takes someone to reach a subjective level of skill that any given jumper may or may not be actively trying to achieve? What would those numbers even mean?

IMO, the time frame in which you completed said number of jumps is just as big of a variable as jump numbers themselves when deciding which bracket of canopy pilot experience you fall into. Someone with 500 jumps over 10 years probably wont be as great of a canopy pilot as someone with 300 jumps in one year.