nigel99

Time in sport

A couple of threads and my last visit to the dz have got me thinking. Out of curiousity how much time in the sport do you have?

My first jump was almost exactly 20 years ago, I virtually lived on the dz for just over 4 years and then took a long layoff before becoming active again.

So I believe the real answer is 5 years.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I've never gone a year without jumping since I started...shortly it will be 36 years. ;)

Thats about as long as I have been out of nappies. :o
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

1980, Cessna over an Ohio cornfield, scared to death. Did a bunch of jumps and then stopped, major gear fear.:P

1990, AFF in Taft, CA.
It's been all downhill since then.;)
At least 50 jumps a year since.

Some people have 1,000 jumps, some have 1 jump a thousand times.:)

This year in Sept. (the 16th ) I'll reach my 39th year anniversary in the sport...:|

have NEVER gone a calendar year without making at least SOME jumps. My fewest in a year, was 8 jumps...when i was a busy FAther..... my most, 220...when i was a Busy BAchelor:ph34r::)years earlier...

When the kids were little, from 1983 til 1995 i only made a 160 jumps that entire time...... but i had a grand by 1979 and since 95 when turbines became more readily available at the DZ,,, ( and the kids started having weekend actvities of their OWN,, which didn't require ME,,)):oB| i've kept up a decent pace... :)
I was NEVER even IN a plane until that day i did my static line # 1 ...:o:PB|B| I would like to hit 40 years of active jumping,, and need to stay with it til sept 2012 to accomplish THAT goal... At the moment , i have been skydiving for OVER 66 % of my entire life....

lots of Fun lots of friends Lots of great memories....

jmy
A 3914
D 12122
POPS 3935
safety first,,, and what the hell.... Safety second too!!!

Started 36 years ago; jumped regularly for 13 years, made 2 jumps in the next 13 years, and have jumped regularly in the following 10 years.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Pretty new to skydiving. I just started jumping about 3 and a half years ago. I'm at about 835 jumps now. The longest I've been between jumps since I got my license three years ago is 3 weeks a couple of times. I sorta like it, even in the winter! B|

"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Pretty new to skydiving. I just started jumping about 3 and a half years ago. I'm at about 835 jumps now. The longest I've been between jumps since I got my license three years ago is 3 weeks a couple of times. I sorta like it, even in the winter! B|

B|YOU GO GIRL! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

First jump on Easter Sunday, 1970. Fot the next 20 years skydiving was as necessary to me as food and water. I had the good fortune to be very involved in this world through the Golden Age. After the pioneers had figured out the basic (parachuting) stuff and while we figured out the skydiving stuff. In the next 10 years maybe a hundred jumps or so. In the last 10 years, one or twe. So my real time would probably be a little over 20 years but I will always consider myself and refer to myself as a skydiver.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Started in Sept 1993 with a Tandem
Did Static Line in Oct 1993

Average 250-300 jumps a year every year. Most are training/play.

I very rarely go more than two weeks without making a jump.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

First jump Aug 23 1973, SL L.S.P.C N.J., 2 months after my 16th birthday. Never went a year without jumping but alot of years only making a few. most active in the last 13 yrs. 4300 jumps. My inspiration is a guy I met about 12 yrs ago. We 5 funway were at the loading area, I asked the old guy if he wanted to join us, had his own contemporary gear etc, Just belly 6 way round 360 + repeat in possible. He joined us, flew like a Sunday driver but had fun etc. Didn't talk to him much but afterwards I asked how old he was. He straightened up and with pride said I'm 84. God Bless em. I hope I can at least say I have 60 years of skydiving. I'll be 76 if I can make it. Will be 54 June 7 and starting to feel it. Arthritis in fingers, don't know how many active years I have left.

Newbie here too. 30 tandems from Aug 8, 2009 to Nov 1, 2009. AFF Nov 2-3, 2009. Jump 500 coming up this weekend. 2 weeks at the most without a jump and only because we were weathered....:)

I am soo envious of you guys who have racked up jumps quickly. My best mate started jumping within a month of me and is currently on ~11k!

19 years, just under 6000 jumps. For a few years in there I was making almost 1000 jumps a year, jumping almost every Fri, Sat and Sun, doing AFF, SL and tandem. Now I do less; this year I'll probably do 150, mostly 4 and 8 way video.

started in Apr of '87 and jumped for a few years - "fun" RW, 20 way in Coolidge, CrW dominated.

took off 4-1/2 years while in the Navy (mid 90's)

going full speed since '98 now due to fun stuff like: more serious 4 and 8-way, AFF, Tunnels, freeflying, camera (recently - so much more enjoyable/lighter than the VHS camera I used to jump), more dynamic canopies. Every 1000 jumps, I plan to pick up another discipline - and there are plenty still out there for the 'next' steps.

Changes since my first round? I do miss impromptu Crw after a dive, and find the PRO and Coach ratings to be pointless exercises in revenue collection.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Started in June 1993, so in a couple weeks I'll reach 18 years. Got the bulk of my jumps from '96 to '99, and haven't gone over 100 jumps a year since. I've been married 10 1/2 years and a father 5 years.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban