airricks

Graduated AFF!

Well after repeating level 2 a few times due to currency, then levels 4&5 a few times due to a slow spin I couldn't stop, I finally passed level 5 last weekend. Yesterday I went up to try level 6, thinking I would probably have to repeat it but got it the first try! The backflips were awesome. I didnt get all the way around on my first and the second I kind of rolled off to the side but my instructor said I got unstable and regained stabilty and that was good enough for him. I also had a great straight on heading track which was incredible.

After passing 6 in one shot I decided to try 7. Diving exit was different and kind of threw me and I dearched and flipped over but again regained stability. Barrel roll was good, but front flip I didnt get all the way over but again I got OKd for going unstable then regaining control. 360s were fine and again tracking was fine and on heading. I love tracking! Im looking forward to level 8 which is all tracking! I landed this and the last jump with no radio and graduated AFF! B| I also started learning to pack yesterday (actually just watched for awhile), that's going to take awhile to learn....

It was a great feeling having no instructor touch me from exit to landing, getting unstable and regaining stability myself, and landing and flaring on my own. Im still really excited. I also learned since I have 14 jumps now that I dont necessarily have to do all the levels. I can just keep going through the levels until I have my 25 jumps then try my check dive. It was suggested I then continue the rest of the levels for practice after I get my A. That made me happy learning all my repeated levels actually didnt hurt me that bad (only cost 139 instead of 89).

Anyway my goal of getting my A this year is actually looking a little better! Sorry this is so long but Im still excited and long winded about it! ;)

Ok, I got two questions.

airricks: first of all, congrats!! What did you do, or plan on doing, on your first complete solo jump with no instructor? Just curious... I don't know if when I get there I'll just track for 6,000 feet or so ;)

everyone else: I've been thinking about this for a while. Since beer is not allowed at the dropzones (for obvious reasons), how does one bring beer to instructors and such after "first" events? Is it something they overlook because it's a special occassion or something? I think I'd feel kinda silly asking the DZO... :S

Hey,

Thanks for the congrats everyone!

At our dropzone the jumps after AFF until your A are structured pretty much like the AFF jumps with a dive flow and learning objectives. We can jump with a coach instead of an instructor though. My first jump off AFF was tracking, then the next two were forward motion to docking. The next two I will do are fall rate jumps. I think after level 20 they have it set up to where you can do solo jumps or coach jumps of your choice depending on where you are on your progression card to get things finished up. I like the way they have it set up because I doubt Id learn a tenth of what Im learning now if I just jumped by myself.

As for the beer, I have seen the beer come out after the last load is down...;)

Since beer is not allowed at the dropzones (for obvious reasons), how does one bring beer to instructors and such after "first" events? Is it something they overlook because it's a special occassion or something? I think I'd feel kinda silly asking the DZO...

At my dz, beer is allowed after the last plane of the evening takes off. Perhaps you're not staying late enough?

You don't have to ask the DZO. Ask one of the experienced jumpers. They'll let you know how to supply free beer. ;)