mixedup

downplaning after opening - is this OK?

only done my first jump so far - but am curious about the following:

One some videos I see what looks like the parachute open and seemingly downplane as it's opening for a short period. On the video it seems the skydiving would be diving down as this occurs (hard to tell from the helmet mounted video angle)

Question - Is this a typical situation you might get upon opening? Easy to get out of? Assuming your canopy itself opened square / no line twists etc could this ever turn into a possible situation where you'd need to follow emergency procedures?

thanks
Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

Technically I think it's only a downplane if you have two parachutes out and they are both pointing towards the ground. One opening pointing down is just a dive.

I've watched tandems from the ground and they seem to do it a fair bit, not very severe, my pilot's never really done it. I'm not sure what causes it maybe lack of symmetry in the pack job?

downplane is a CRW term, unless of course you've got your main and reserve out at the same time, in which case you can pretty much kiss your ass goodbye if you cant clear the main, but to answer your question, no i wouldnt worry about it. just wait until you fly an aggressive canopy with a high wingloading. then you'll see it shoot down, to the sides, and just basically go ape shit until it (hopefully) clears up. lol.

Can you link the video?

A true "Downplane" is 2 canopies. Either 2 seperate jumpers doing CReW or a 2-out situation.

As others have said, it sounds more like a dive (or more likely a diving turn).
Turns on opening aren't all that uncommon. The higher performance canopies will go into a fairly steep dive when they turn.
Student canopies may still turn, but won't go into anywhere near as steep of a dive. That's why they are student canopies.

Line twists on opening can put the canopy into a diving turn. Under a high performance canopy, this may develop into a spin severe enough to require a cutaway.

Once more, under a student canopy, this wouldn't be a serious problem. Again, that's why they put students under student canopies.:)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The canopy looks like it "downplanes" (which I think you really meant to say "dives") while opening.

Based on me correctly assuming you meant "dives".... read on. If not, then read on, but ignore it since it does not answer your question.

The reason is the canopy wants a certain fwd speed based on design and brake position and will dive to get that speed. Once that speed is reached it will level out... If it gets more speed than it needs, it will pull up and bleed some of that speed off.

In a plane, you would call the pitching down for speed and then the pitching up to bleed off the extra speed as phugiod oscillation. These oscillations will drop in size till a steady speed is achieved for any given trim.

Yes, it is normal
No, it is not something to worry about.

could this ever turn into a possible situation where you'd need to follow emergency procedures?

Doubtful. But really you only have one question at your hard deck... "Can I land this safely?"

Don't over think this, listen to your instructors and do what they tell you..
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I think what's really going on here is that the way a canopy behaves on opening is "hard to tell from the helmet mounted video angle". When you've opened a canopy over your own head a few more times you'll get used to what it feels like and be able to relate the technical descriptions given in this thread to the way the canopy behaves. ( Note that I'm not saying to stare up at the canopy while it opens. Go through the opening sequence and canopy check the way you've been instructed. )
You don't have to outrun the bear.

thanks guys - yes I did mean "dive" (I guess I'd heard the downplane term and it just seemed to feel right when you see the chute diving like that)

nice to know it should be less likely on the student chutes then :)

thanks guys - yes I did mean "dive" (I guess I'd heard the downplane term and it just seemed to feel right when you see the chute diving like that)

nice to know it should be less likely on the student chutes then :)

It's good that you are asking questions. The only dumb question is the one that you didn't ask....that being said...

You should print this thread and put it in your log book...when you stumble across it ten years and 1000 jumps later you will chuckle at yourself. ;)

Blue Skies,
Jason

funnily enough I wasn't really scared at all on my first jump, which I was expecting to be - I think with all the reading and watching youtube video's of cutaways etc etc I must have been somewhat prepared, plus the good training sessions - although I'm hearing you get most scared around the 3rd/4th jump apparently

although I'm hearing you get most scared around the 3rd/4th jump apparently

Well there you go... You've got a plan! (apparently) ;)

Do yourself a favor - don't try to "learn skydiving" from / on youtube.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone